[Need help] Speedy 145.022 evaluation

Hi OF peeps,

I’m looking to purchase my first Omega and jumping into the deep end with a 145.022.

I'm considering purchasing the following sample from a seller/dealer/small watch store and would like to seek your help in validating and authenticating my assessment and the seller’s information (and a valuation would be a bonus). Thank you in advance.

The seller is saying:
  • 145.022, cal 861
  • Recently serviced (haven’t seen the receipt; likely serviced by the shop themselves)
  • Original dial
  • Original bezel DN90 (non-DO90)
  • Original hands
  • Original bracelet (7.3”)
  • Original crown and pushers
  • No box, no paperwork

My assessment (using Speedmaster101 and other sites as guidelines). Feel free to correct/validate:

• Dial appears to be original -78 since it has a long S, “T,” and no steps. I can’t tell if the tritium is original, but it shows signs of aging.
  • Movement (serial 4xxxxxx): I can’t tell what the second digit is (asked the seller), but since it starts with “4,” this means it’s a -78, and it looks clean to my untrained eyes.
  • Bezel appears to be correct with DN90, E, and dot next to 70.
  • Case back and dust cap: Not sure. I was expecting to see (-78) there, but it’s missing. Any thoughts?
  • Hands: Not sure. I’m thrown off since the center of the hands is completely white (where it mounts), unlike other samples. Also, unsure if why aging is inconsistent (dark minute)
  • Bracelet: Not original but authentic 812? Not sure what to look for l.
  • Crown and pushers: clueless

Please let me know your thoughts before I throw my savings at this.

IMG_8288.jpeg IMG_8289.jpeg IMG_8290.jpeg IMG_8291.jpeg IMG_8296.jpeg IMG_8297.jpeg IMG_8300.jpeg IMG_8292.jpeg IMG_8293.jpeg

IMG_8295.jpeg

IMG_8299.jpeg

IMG_8298.jpeg

Serial number and bracelet point to it being early 1990’s, serial is likely 49M, value probably mid 3k range, if it’s been serviced and there’s proof of it being a qualified watchmaker doing it rather than some random dude it’ll be worth a bit more

Here’s a similar era of Speedmaster with a more desirable bracelet and an actual LE watch for a comparison

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145934920556

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Agree it looks mid-late 80’s or early 90’s, not -78.

Nice looking watch though. These are the sweet spot between value and attraction imo as they’re probably at the bottom of the curve in terms of price but these years have some lovely dials with really attractive lume.

Captain Obvious checking in here, the lume in the minute hand isn't very attractive.

Is that bezel real? Looks a little off but maybe just the photos....

@dsio @Davidt Just reread resources again and agree that this sample is post-78 as indicated by case back and serial. What is “LE”?

@Dan S yeah 🥲 the minute hand is roasted

@ibis888 what doesn’t look right for the bezel?

I just took a look at Moonwatch Only… I was wrong about the bezel, looks legit Type B2. Photos just threw me off.

Nice watch, from the late 80s or very early 90s. Everything looks correct. The “tall and closed” S is kind of cool on that C4 dial, the dial switches to a more modern “short S” with the C5 dial with the next iteration in the early 90s.

Movement looks clean, that second number should be an "8".

All of the enamel is present on the Type C5 caseback lettering, which is typically a sign that the watch has only been lightly worn.

The bracelet is the 1479 (you can see the 812 end links in one of the photos). Great bracelet.

The only nit I see is the minute hand being a different color... I would expect a little discount for that, it's not hard to find very good condition Speedies from the late 80s/early 90s. That might really bug me but it's a personal preference.

Check out Lunaroyster… he currently has a nice selection of similar late 80s/early 90s Speedmasters available that you can use for price and condition comparisons. There are also a couple with the sapphire caseback if that's your preference.

These neo-vintage yellow patina tritium speedmasters from the late 80s/early 90s are amazing watches. Get it serviced and you'll have a reliable workhorse that (in my opinion) looks way better than a new one.

And welcome to the forum, you are required to post photos of whichever watch you end up with.

Doubt it’s a 1990, 1988 is my guess as it’s a 17j marked 17. 1989 got the 18th jewel but stayed marked 17 for a few years.

Welcome to OF, and you are looking at a nice watch!
I do hope that you have seen that someone has done some paintwork,
and that this doesn't bother you?

IMG_8288.jpeg

@hansaboy
Thank you. That was my guess as well, since I have not seen the white centered anywhere else, which makes me suspect that the hands may have been swapped or at lease removed

Can the picture provide enough details to confirm if they are still Tritium or have been replaced with Super-LumiNova? My hopeful guess is that they are still Tritium, since they show signs of aging.
Edited: