Forums Latest Members

Need help sourcing parts for vintage omega constellation

1. marsplastic Sep 25, 2016

Hi all!

I inherited this Omega watch from my father. From the looks of it, it seems like the crown and the clasp are not original (crown is unmarked, clasp reads Seiko). I'd like to get this watch as close as possible to the original style.

Any idea what it should have looked like? Any idea where I can get the correct parts?

Thanks all!

IMG_1066.JPG IMG_1067.JPG IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_1069.JPG
    nonuffinkbloke and Edward53 like this.
  2. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 25, 2016

Nice Connie
    Original crowns are no longer available for this model I'm afraid
    BORs are available on EBay
    But it would look just as good on a leather strap

Best to send to a watchmaker who works with vintage watches if you want it serviced (recommended)

Your location will help in getting the advice you require

3. Edward53 Sep 26, 2016

Purists prefer the decagonal crown but it's perfectly legit to go for the "scalloped" crown typically found on dress SMs and SM de Villes which also appear on Constellations from the early 60s on and are still available.

4. Noddyman Nov 25, 2017

@Edward53 I have been looking through old posts reference the scalloped crown and came across this thread. I’ve asked this question before about the Seamaster crown and whether it’s the same but didn’t really get a response. I have a 14381 with a 1080 crown which I would like to swap onto my 168.005. If the Seamaster de Ville crown fits my 14381 do you know where I can get one? Attached is my De Ville with the same crown we are talking about - I think! Sourcing these original crowns is driving me nuts but I won’t rest until my watches are original:)

6956062F-008C-4490-AFC2-9A5859EE7D8A.jpeg
  5. Edward53 Nov 25, 2017

Looking more closely at my 14381 Constellation, Seamaster and SM De Ville, all have similar scalloped crowns but they aren't actually identical. The one on the De Ville is (roughly) 4mm, the other two are 5mm and the one on the SM seems slightly more convex than on the Constellation. I have seen scalloped crowns for sale in the past but I haven't looked recently and can't recall where they were, possibly Otto Frei or Cousins. I wish I could say you need x crown for y watch but all I know is what I've observed and you really need the advice of a watchmaker, or at least someone with a lot more technical knowledge than me.

Noddyman likes this.
  6. Noddyman Nov 25, 2017

Ok no problem thanks for taking the time to check.
    The hunt goes on.