Forums Latest Members
  1. duffhessian1776 Dec 14, 2016

Hello all,

Today I picked up this Omega pocket watch. According to the standard charts, the production of the case and movement date this to 1913.
    There is nothing overly unique about this watch except that I bought it here, in Kabul, Afghanistan, and .... well.... the provenance is well left of center.

The numbers of the case back and cuvette match, so there is no doubt at all that this is an original piece. Hands appear correct for the period, but I will leave that to the more educated to decide.

The odd thing is the case back. It bears the royal emblem of the Solomonic Dynasty of Abyssinia/Ethiopia. I have been able to find no history of foreign relations between the two nations. Can anyone shine a light on this? I am open to possibility of another in existence, but even so, am highly doubtful that one may be out there. Inside the case back is a monogram/cipher of three letters. I cannot identify them as a separate maker, so they may be the first owner's initials.

Enough of my rambling. Here are the photos. Anything you are willing to share is so much more than welcome!

BTW, what caliber is the steel movement?

Thanks in advance!
    david. PC140008 (497x640).jpg PC140011 (548x640).jpg PC140010 (503x640).jpg OMEGA Lion of Judah Inside Cuvette (640x599).jpg OMEGA Lion of Judah Inside Case Back (640x560).jpg

2. François Pépin Dec 14, 2016

It is a 19'´ series like caliber, with 7 jewels - so the lower quality, but still an intersting movement. I guess the hairspring is flat and not Bréguet, am I right? - cannot see well on the pic.

3. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Dec 15, 2016

Didn't you get enough replies from the experts at WUS?