Forums Latest Members

Need help. Info on old bulova i just received as family watch. Very old.

1. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Dec 19, 2015

Hello guys a little story. This watch was bought originally by my great grandma as a gift to her son my great uncle long time ago. My uncle kept it with him until he died at 97 years old which whom he had it passed on to his youngest brother. His youngest brother had it in New York for years in his drawer. Well my uncle found out that i started collecting vintage pieces (even though i only have one lol). So we are eating lunch and he pulls out this really old bulova and that he wishes for me to fix it and keep it as a family piece. Which i will. Please any information on the watch will help. I just want to know about the piece. Do not care about value. Just want information. Thanks guys in advance. Below are some pictures. Dont know how to open so its just the front and back of the watch. Again thanks.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    gemini4 likes this.
  2. urmacher Dec 19, 2015

Hi.

I think you have Bulova President mosel from the 50's. It should have an ultra flat 17j manual winding movement. BTW nice watch.
    Regards, Teo.

3. urmacher Dec 19, 2015

Maybe 11AF movement.

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 19, 2015

L6 marking on the back is date code for 1956.

Movement comes out from the front after removing the bezel.

5. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Dec 19, 2015

Thanks guys. Are those diamonds on the dial original. Or was that added by my uncle?

6. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Dec 19, 2015

Thank you for compliment.

7. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Dec 19, 2015

Would you guys also know around how much would it cost to put this watch back to its glory days.

8. Canuck Dec 19, 2015

The date code L6 on the case back means 1956. Not yet 60 years old, but close. Gold filled case, showing a bit of wear through in places. Do I see that one or maybe two gem set dial markers are gone? The faded dial leaves me with the impression that it had been worn a LOT by your great uncle. The cost of restoring it would depend on how far you want to carry a restoration, and what would be required to achieve your wishes. But to do something with the dial will costly, I think!

Noles_88 likes this.
  9. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Dec 19, 2015

Thank you for response. Yes he did wear it alot back in those days and yes one or two of the gem dial markers are missing. Is that original to the watch though sir? The gem markers.

10. Canuck Dec 19, 2015

In an earlier post, someone commented that this watch might have been a model in the "Bulova President" series. I believe that to be the case since the style was typical for that series. I believe the gem set markers were original to the dial. It might be best to have the watch opened so we can see which movement is in it. And to try to locate a donor watch for its dial. To try to match the markers would be an expensive challenge, then you might have to consider re-finishing the dial.

Noles_88 likes this.
  11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 19, 2015

Noles_88 likes this.
  12. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Dec 19, 2015

Thank you gentleman for the help.