Need help identifying vintage Seamaster

Hello,

I purchased this watch from https://tangibleinvestmentsinc.com/product-category/watches/
listed on sale for $795.

It's a very pretty watch and I'm very happy with it. However, I have limited info. I believe it is a pre-62 watch because it has radium, confirmed with my gc (nice glow of the arms and dots with a black light). Very low reading, but testing my watches, alerted me. For this reason, I didn't want to open up the back case myself, being the extra careful sort, in order to get the reference number and look at the movement. But maybe based on the info below and the pictures, someone will know more about this Seamaster? And is there a market for it? I want to sell it to someone at a fair/good price for them. If on eBay it would be my first time selling a watch. I want to do it right. Any advice would be appreciated. Much thanks!

Description on site purchased from:
Men's vintage Omega Seamaster wristwatch.
Gold Filled top case and stainless steel case back.
34mm case size.
Precision 17 jewel Caliber 560 automatic movement.
Recently overhauled.
Time tested for 8 hours and keep good time.
The watch has a date calendar.
The dial has some very light colored spotting.
Otherwise the watch is in excellent condition inside and out.
New black calf skin, lizard grain band fits up to 71/2 inch wrist.

Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 2.11.58 AM.png Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 2.10.48 AM.png 160486-3.jpg 160486-4.jpg 160486-5.jpg 160486-1-1.jpg

I found this interesting article about the 560 Calibre this watch uses. Apparently, it is relatively rare given that only 3,000 made, the majority for sale in US market by Norman Morris, per this article: https://www.watchprosite.com/omega/calibre-560-for-the-us-market/677.573541.3558246/

"The calibre 560 was a 17 Jewel calibre only produced in 3000pcs for the US market.
The calibre has been produced from 1959, but has been used in models for the US market mainly marketed between 1963-1967
Serial numbers between 16-23 mill"

The serial numbers would correspond to the years 1958-1966 according to the chart. Since this has radium, I"m guessing it's early 62 or before, reading it was phased out around that time.
Edited:

It looks like a pre-DeVille. There’s various threads on the forum that will give you further info on these models.
These are popular models and there certainly is a market for them, although I’d value yours at around half of $795.

I’m hoping that the date changes properly at around midnight but if it does, I don’t think you’ve done badly. Nice wearer in reasonable condition and the price is within the ballpark although at the outer edge ;)

(But if it’s not changing properly, return it)

Glad you didn’t try to open the back because it doesn’t open, this a front load reference.

I would echo the concern about the date wheel position. It is also not immediately clear to me if the dial is original or if it has been re-dialled.

Assuming the date changes properly and the dial is original I think you will struggle to get back the $795 that the watch was advertised at. I would think it is closer to a $500/600 watch.

Welcome to the forum,

did you just recently buy it with an intent to resell at a profit?
If so, I’m afraid it wasn’t such a “tangible” investment.

Not sure now’s the best time to buy watches for profit, and it takes months or years of study to understand how things work.
It’s a very competitive field and there are no short cuts.

I totally agree with what other more experienced OF members wrote.

I'll also add that "flipping" watches is not as easy as it might seems. You have a perfectly example of that in the eBay horror of the day thread. I'll suggest you to start looking from something you like: this way you are more invested in learning about that specific area, time-frame or reference.

And, finally, do not become one of those who buy "limping" watches and try to maximise their profit selling them to new buyers...

Welcome to the forum,

did you just recently buy it with an intent to resell at a profit?
If so, I’m afraid it wasn’t such a “tangible” investment.

Not sure now’s the best time to buy watches for profit, and it takes months or years of study to understand how things work.
It’s a very competitive field and there are no short cuts.

Hi, just to be clear, I did not buy anything intending to re-sell or flip--or make a profit. I don't mind taking a loss to get the watch to an owner who is in love with it. I just don't have a comfort level with radium that I should have to properly enjoy wearing it; nor do I want to store it in my collection if its a redail, and not historically accurate (in those cases I don't mind keeping it despite the radium). As it turns out the shop allows returns within a 30-day period, so i will be returning it to them for a refund. That's good news because this way I break even; I never expected to make a profit. If anything I expected to sell it for much less than I bought it given all the honest disclosures I"d make. I'm not a capitalist. :)

The pictures aren’t that great, but I don’t see any lume on the dial. And those hands look repainted, so probably tritium. Not sure there is any radium on there. Have you tested with a Geiger counter?

The pictures aren’t that great, but I don’t see any lume on the dial. And those hands look repainted, so probably tritium. Not sure there is any radium on there. Have you tested with a Geiger counter?
Oh yes. The lume is there and glows very bright after getting hit with dark light. Its actually very pretty. I tested it with my high-quality Geiger counter and confirmed its radium (emits about 1.2 microSieverts per hour).

Actually looks gold-capped to me. I think I can see that the lugs are SS from the back. Not a bargain at $795, but not a crazy price from a dealer. This thread is pretty strange, I'm not sure why the OP would first indicate he would sell it at a loss, and then mention that he can return it. Combined with his low post count, I'd recommend caution.
Edited:

Hi, just to be clear, I did not buy anything intending to re-sell or flip--or make a profit. I don't mind taking a loss to get the watch to an owner who is in love with it. I just don't have a comfort level with radium that I should have to properly enjoy wearing it; nor do I want to store it in my collection if its a redail, and not historically accurate (in those cases I don't mind keeping it despite the radium). As it turns out the shop allows returns within a 30-day period, so i will be returning it to them for a refund. That's good news because this way I break even; I never expected to make a profit. If anything I expected to sell it for much less than I bought it given all the honest disclosures I"d make. I'm not a capitalist.

Did a former President write this for you or did you make it up yourself?

Did a former President write this for you or did you make it up yourself?
Presidents usually don't do their own writing; they hire someone like me to do it for them! :) Lincoln and JFK are the two exceptions who insisted on writing their own speeches. :)

Actually looks gold-capped to me. I think I can see that the lugs are SS from the back. Not a bargain at $795, but not a crazy price from a dealer. This thread is pretty strange, I'm not sure why the OP would first indicate he would sell it at a loss, and then mention that he can return it. Combined with his low post count, I'd recommend caution.

I didn't think I'd be able to return it but then checked their return policy which is valid for 30 days from date of receipt. I received it on Aug. 23, so after I wrote that I found out I can still return it as I'm 5 days still within the return period. I wrote them but they didn't write back yet. I plan to send it back tomorrow. Otherwise, I'd be looking to offer this at a steep discount to someone who would love it. Skepticism is good and smart in this hobby, but as Nixon said, "I'm not a crook!"

Good luck with the return. But in the future would suggest inquiring first before you buy.

I didn't think I'd be able to return it but then checked their return policy which is valid for 30 days from date of receipt. I received it on Aug. 23, so after I wrote that I found out I can still return it as I'm 5 days still within the return period. I wrote them but they didn't write back yet. I plan to send it back tomorrow. Otherwise, I'd be looking to offer this at a steep discount to someone who would love it. Skepticism is good and smart in this hobby, but as Nixon said, "I'm not a crook!"
Good luck with the return. But in the future would suggest inquiring first before you buy.
Yes, I completely agree. Experience will teach those who don't listen to your good advice. I know better but when I got hit with this Omega bug (triggered by fixing my dad's watch), I could not resist acting in haste at the sight of these beauties. I have a nice little growing collection now and will be more mature going forward.

Agree on gold cap.
A mate of mine lost the cap off one lug, never to be seen again. Sort of turned me off gold cap.

Good news:

"Tangible Investments INC just sent you a refund
Tangible Investments INC just sent you a full refund of $873.55 USD for your purchase."

Its a good shop that can be trusted to refund if returned within 30 days.