Forums Latest Members
  1. 9thsymph Apr 2, 2020

This was my father's watch. I believe he bought it between 1968-72. I did a quick search on Omega's site and my description of functions led me to this:

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-de-ville-omega-ba-166-0086

Does this seem correct? Is this a 1971 De Ville? It says this model was made with a solid gold casing, not gold plated, but I'm skeptical.

My second question: My dad replaced the original strap with the solid gold bracelet in the photo (presumably in the 80s when gold was more fashionable and perhaps to further compliment the solid gold case?). Anyway, I intend to wear this watch myself and as a newcomer to watch wearing, should I keep the bracelet on, or replace it with a leather strap? For a gold dress watch the tint of the gold and the proportions of the watch come off as fairly low key, but I'd like to optimize this watch's style potential - not wear it in poor taste, etc, so if you have any suggestions, I'd be much obliged...

Thanks!

IMG_2271.jpg

2. wagudc Apr 2, 2020

It is hard to tell exactly what you have from the one not so high resolution photo. I suggest more photos from different angles at high resolution. It looks nice though. If it were me, I would put it on a strap.

9thsymph likes this.
  3. 9thsymph Apr 2, 2020

Sorry! My photo skills are pretty busted. Perhaps this is better? IMG_2286.jpg

4. 9thsymph Apr 2, 2020

5. Dan S Apr 2, 2020

Gold plated obviously, you can see brassing on the tips of the lugs. Bracelet or strap is personal taste, I suggest giving a strap a try. :thumbsup:

9thsymph likes this.
  6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 2, 2020

It were me, I would sell the bracelet to pay to get the case restored, and wear it on a strap.

Also get the movement serviced.

Tom

9thsymph and wagudc like this.
  7. 9thsymph Apr 2, 2020

Thanks!

It's hard for me to capture the lugs actually. I definitely see what you are referring to in the picture, so I took a very careful look with a magnifying glass just now and they don't appear tarnished or showing any brassing. The lugs are rather angular and play with the light oddly (or I could also just be a bit blind. So there's that...).

Perhaps you are correct, but I can't find any record of this watch configuration being made up as plated on the Omega site. I also just can't imagine why my dad would put a solid gold bracelet on a gold plated watch. It's totally against his nature. Maybe my mom did it. Oh well...

I am going to see if I can find a nice strap. I'm considering a shell 8 cordovan. Too dark?

8. 9thsymph Apr 2, 2020

Thanks!

Is there any danger in getting it restored? Any recommendations for folks that reliably do that work in the Chicago area (I mean, I'll certainly look into to this myself, but I don't really know who to take this thing to. I realize the stakes aren't that high in terms of monetary value, but I certainly don't want to take it to a hack...

9. Dan S Apr 2, 2020

Here is one example showing where the gold plating is completely removed and peeling. This is known as "brassing". If you look, you will see other places.

960095-7b3edb5074f6e0c355a3dbc8f06f286b.jpg

9thsymph likes this.
  10. Dan S Apr 2, 2020

Easily seen from this angle as well.

960101-31ec8f34c715452ec27752c6e7c6fac2.jpg

9thsymph likes this.
  11. 9thsymph Apr 2, 2020

Yeah, I see it in the photos, but can't see it in person. I'm sure you're right...I'm just saying what I see in the photo is not what I'm seeing in real life...I might just nnot be picking up on the subtle difference irl vs the obvious contrast in the photo?

12. Dan S Apr 2, 2020

You can have the watch replated. Some jewelers will do it, and there is a company called replateit.com.

9thsymph likes this.
  13. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 2, 2020

There is honor and no shame in restoring a family piece.

Tom

9thsymph likes this.
  14. 9thsymph Apr 2, 2020

Certainly! What I meant was, I don't want to screw up the watch by taking it to the wrong person (presently it works quite well and appears quite attractive to me...I just don't want to get burned...). I will definitely take it in as soon as I can find someone in my area that I trust...

wagudc likes this.
  15. wagudc Apr 2, 2020

Silver lining to the vision degredation.

9thsymph likes this.
  16. wagudc Apr 2, 2020

If you let us know what part of the world you are from, someone might be able to give you a recommendation. Also, to identify the watch with certainty, you can have someone who knows what they are doing take the caseback off and photograph the inside of the caseback and the movement.

17. 9thsymph Apr 2, 2020

I'm in Chicago (mentioned in passing somewhere above...)

18. 9thsymph Apr 2, 2020

There seem to be many options in my area to choose from, which is both a blessing and a bit of a curse. I'll attempt some sort of vetting process once the world is a little less uniquely on edge...

19. wagudc Apr 2, 2020

I think Tom @VetPsychWars is from from somewhere near you. He gave a recommendation for a watchmaker in Brookfield, WI a year ago so he might know Chicago.

20. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 2, 2020

I told him someone to AVOID for sure!

I can ask my CW21 Rolex tech if he wants to get involved?

Tom