Forums Latest Members
  1. mhlmotors Dec 16, 2013

My wife's grandfather left her this watch and I need help identifying it. From what I can tell, it appears to be a 1930's single button stainless steel chronograph. It is in wonderful operating condition. I recently sent it to Switzerland for a full service and a replacement watch band. I can post additional pictures when I get it back next month. There is an amazing story behind this watch and I am hoping this forum can help me to learn more about it. Thanks! Watch 2.JPG IMG_0401.JPG IMG_0400.JPG

VintageWatchIta, epl108 and Last like this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 16, 2013

3. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Dec 16, 2013

Hi, VERY nice Watch indeed, I agree with gatorcpa, on such a rare Watch, a redial is not really something to care about.

Strange enough the watch photographed on p. 24-25 of J. Goldnerger's 'Omega Sportwatches' has a different dial, with a retailer's name on it (Rud. Niklaus Berne), and a red hand on the minute counter subdial... A different one?
    And he has two other monopushers 33.3 in 'Omega Watches', one of which is in 14kt gold....

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 16, 2013

Found a large picture of Mr. Goldberger's example:

[​IMG]

Maybe not a redial after all. Amazing!

You don't happen to have an old Omega advertisement for that one in your secret stash, now do you?
    gatorcpa

VintageWatchIta and epl108 like this.
  5. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Dec 16, 2013

I have looked everywhere and I only found one in the 1940 general catalog, however, this is a rare one and I don't have the original, just a bad photocopy :

[​IMG]

Still need to increase my catalogs and advertising collection in parallel to the watches!

VintageWatchIta and Varasc like this.
  6. Tinggle Dec 16, 2013

Nice effing watch!!!

7. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Dec 16, 2013

Here is another example from "Omega Designs"

[​IMG]

VintageWatchIta likes this.
  8. Varasc Dec 17, 2013

This is one of the reasons for my deep love for this Vintage section - congrats, what a discovery.

9. mhlmotors Dec 17, 2013

Thank you all for your help. Let me tell you the story behind this incredible watch:

My wife's grandfather was a German Soldier he was not a fighter, but a skilled electrician and his job was to set up the radio networks and towers during the war. When the war ended, he was taken prisoner by the Russians to rebuild their infrastructure. He lived in a Russian POW camp for 6 years. He said they would feed him a kidney bean each day. To survive, he would make tools and trade them for food. He was finally released back to Germany and he wrote a letter to the U.S. requesting asylum. He moved his entire family to the U.S. where he once again put his skills to work in helping to build the Alaskan pipeline. When I used to visit him at his home in Ohio, I recall how everything he owned was in tip top shape. His home at original 1950's appliances that were near perfect condition, etc. He lived to be 93 years old and the details which I have spared from this summary are novel worthy. It wasn't until he passed that my wife recalled him giving her this watch when she was younger and telling her to hold onto it for him. LUCKILY, she did just that and kept it in her jewelry box for another 10 years. I can only imagine where and when in his many travels and adventures that he came upon this watch. I greatly appreciate your help in understanding this watch's history as it is helping me to potentially learn more about a very remarkable man. Thank you!

10. agee Dec 17, 2013

Love that story-amazing journey

11. CdnWatchDoc Dec 17, 2013

Wow!! Not many people live to tell a tale like that! Special watch for you, mhl...keep it safe and enjoy it always!

12. AndreasSwiss Dec 27, 2018

Rud Niklaus

706FDADC-A06D-4BCC-B85B-476AAAACFE61.jpeg
    VintageWatchIta likes this.
  13. Petervl Dec 27, 2018

Amazing story, Congrats!!