Forums Latest Members

Need help identifying and possibly the value on early 70's Omega Deville

1. pmorejon57 Jun 9, 2014

My 86 year old father wants to sell his Omega Deville 18k gold watch that he purchased new in the early 70's. I tried to look for it online but was unable to find the exact watch anywhere. I was only able to take a few pictures of it, if more/better pictures are needed I can probably get them. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. He purchased this watch new in San Juan, Puerto Rico, and to my knowledge it has never been serviced. For what I observed when I took the pictures, the watch still runs fine.

20140609_152109.jpg 20140609_152222.jpg 20140609_152257.jpg 20140609_152348.jpg 20140609_152453.jpg
  2. dan7800 Jun 9, 2014

Ill probably beat many to the bunch and say..... Stop using it or get it serviced. The 70's is a looooong time

Never seen an Omega like this.... But I am a newb

3. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jun 9, 2014

The value of the watch will most likely be the melt value of the gold in it and the bracelet (it looks solid gold to me but I cannot see a hallmark). I believe these are not too desirable or collectible, so if it is not solid gold then the value will not be very high.

4. pmorejon57 Jun 9, 2014

It's my father's and it has been in his safe for at least 30 years. I don't know why he now wants to find out about it. I am hoping I can maybe buy it from him, if it's not too much $$. Thanks for responding, I hope it can be identified by someone. I looked online for about an hour without luck. I am a newb too.

After I find out about his watch, I have to find out about my own. I have an old Speedmaster Pro MKII that needs major work. I wore that watch just about 24/7 from 1971 through about 1982, and it's in sad shape. I broke the main spring once in 1975 and it cost me a lot to have it fixed. I was working part time after school then. How time flies!

5. pmorejon57 Jun 9, 2014

Thanks Shaun, I could not find any markings stating the gold contents either, but I did not have any magnifiers or anything else that would help me look at the small details when I took the pictures. If that's the case, then that's what I will tell him.

6. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jun 10, 2014

If you are gonna keep it then refer back to the post by dan7800. You can then ask the watchmaker to take the back off, on the inside of the caseback will be some model numbers and probably proof of gold quality. From this it will be much easier to find out which model etc from here.

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database

With the watch open you can get the serial number from the movement and then we can probably give you some idea of the year of manufacture too.

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 10, 2014

I'd say it's sold gold, there appears to be a hallmark stamp on the back of the 5 o'clock lug. There should be a similar one somewhere on the back of the clasp too.

If it has no sentimental value it's probably only worth the gold content and the movement sold separately for parts.

If it has sentimental value, get it serviced by a good watchmaker (Not by Omega ::money::)

Then just enjoy it (if your father decides to pass it down that is :D)

8. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 10, 2014

There were a lot of these jewellery watches produced in the 70's, with a lot of vaired designs. I haven't come across anyone who collects them, so as the others have said it probably has no collector value & is would be worth the value of the gold and parts.

If you can wait a few days, I will have a look through my old catalogues to see if I can find any info on this one.

9. pmorejon57 Jun 10, 2014

Thanks to all that have replied to my query. "SpikiSpikester" Please do find out, take your time, no rush. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I didn't know you could sell the "guts" of the watch too.

10. ulackfocus Jun 10, 2014

“I'm very proud of my gold pocket watch. My grandfather, on his deathbed, sold me this watch.” - Woody Allen

11. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 21, 2014

I found something almost exactly the same - but not the same watch - in the 1971 Deville range. Retail price at the time was £95.50 and it was a 9k gold watch and bracelet.

There are endless variations of gold Devilles and other models in the early 70s catalogues, so the chances of finding an exact match are slim unless you can get the model no from inside the case back.