Forums Latest Members
  1. zahnib Aug 13, 2018

I was basing the 1947 date off the serial which from what I could find dates to '47, but I could be wrong. It was listed as 1949 by the seller :confused:

jimmyd13 likes this.
  2. Dan S Aug 13, 2018

What chart did you use?

3. zahnib Aug 14, 2018

I used the chart provided on Omega Fanatic. Looking at it again though I see where I may have gone wrong. The 11' start in 1947 but 12' doesn't start until 1950 ::shy::

Dan S likes this.
  4. jimmyd13 Aug 14, 2018

OK - panic over. I had a nasty thought that you'd picked up a frank'd watch but it's likely all correct and you just have the date wrong. As I said in my earlier post, I have a 351 with a very early number somewhere but that's a one-owner that I know to be correct.

zahnib likes this.
  5. zahnib Aug 14, 2018

That would have been a right old bummer! All is well, as I said it was listed as 1949 by the seller, so no foul play on their part. I'll adjust the title of my post accordingly :thumbsup:

On an unrelated note, this is my first bumper movement. This is a very naive question but is it possible to manual wind bumpers?

6. jimmyd13 Aug 14, 2018

Yes - you can wind this just the same way you'd wind a manual movement. There are a very few exceptions, but basically you can wind away. Unlike a manual movement, you won't feel a definite stop when the mainspring is fully wound.

zahnib likes this.
  7. zahnib Aug 14, 2018

Is there any risk of damaging the mainspring if wound too much??

8. jimmyd13 Aug 14, 2018

No. The mainsprings are mounted in the barrels in such a way that they slip when fully wound. Someone with more detailed technical knowledge might come along and tell you exactly how this works. My understanding (which could be totally wrong) is that the end of the spring is not fixed in the barrel as they otherwise would be. So, when a spring is fully tensioned, it can't be wound further.

zahnib likes this.
  9. zahnib Aug 14, 2018

Oh okay, super! Thank you so much :)

10. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 14, 2018

I like the look of your 351 watch zahnib. I have a special regard for the 351 as I have had one now for some years that is a part of a group of watches I consider to be my "most accurate." It was also an Ebay acquisition. I need to do it justice and take better photographs of the movement than the auction-provided ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is after a service which included the replacement of a generic crown with what the watchmaker says is the correct crown for this model. I'm not certain the crown is proper for a late '40s Omega.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

zahnib and TexOmega like this.
  11. zahnib Aug 14, 2018

Beautiful watch noelekal!!! I particularly like the numerals on your dial :thumbsup: That's good to hear that its still an accurate piece considering its age! That crown does seem a little large though. Regardless, nice find.

Edited Aug 14, 2018
    noelekal likes this.
  12. zahnib Aug 19, 2018

noelekal likes this.