Forums Latest Members

Need help Have some question after serviced by Omega

1. 90sgensOmegafan Aug 18, 2019

About 1 month ago I received my watch Caliber 564 after sent it for service by Omega Service Center. They changed many parts include Pallet fork with jewels, winding system and the parts in the picture.
    Accuracy in 3 positions are CH 18.2, 9H -4.3, 6H -5.7
    My question is
    Can this watch be regulated better than this?
    Amplitude normal or not what effect the amplitude and how it can be improved?
    Is Caliber 564 a chronometer movement?
    As a result, I'm happy average accuracy for 1month about 10s/d but I think it can be better when spent 1,000 dollars for service this watch T_T

20190718_153102.jpg 20190718_151622.jpg
  2. Canuck Aug 18, 2019

The information I have read says it is a chronometer movement. Allow for the fact the watch could be 50 years old. It may be possible to adjust it to show a better average rate over a period on the wrist. But the positional variation might be tough to adjust out of it, totally.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 20, 2019

Omega doesn't service these to modern chronometer standards, and in fact the timing tolerances for all the 550 and 560 series watches are the same. This is why the watch has only been checked over 3 positions instead of 5 as a typical chronometer would be.

So the tolerances for average daily rate require that it fall between -1 and +16 seconds per day. The Delta at full wind (difference between fastest and slowest positions) should be no more than 25 seconds, and at 24 hours after full wind it should be no more than 35 seconds.

So based on the timing slip, your watch falls within Omega specs for the Delta...barely. It easily meets the spec for average daily rate.

The balance amplitudes on these are typically not as high as you would see on a modern ETA based watch for example, so 260 isn't spectacular, but it's not bad. There's no adjustment for the amplitude - it can only be improved by going through the movement in a very meticulous way and reducing sources of friction. Note that the friction spring adjustment for the sweep seconds pinion can make a big impact on amplitude if it's not adjusted correctly. Omega doesn't have a specification for amplitude at full wind, but they do require on this movement that no position tested should drop below 160 degrees 24 hours after full wind.

So can all this be improved? Yes very likely, but if it's within tolerances Omega (or really any other brand service center) isn't going to keep trying to make it better. Once it meets the tolerances, it's done in their eyes. I get much better results on these calibers all the time, so it's a matter of picking the right place to send your watch...

Cheers, Al

4. 90sgensOmegafan Aug 22, 2019

Thank you very much, AI for the clear and technical answer.