Forums Latest Members
  1. Flav Jun 13, 2017

Hi everybody,

For my first post I need your opinion about my last acquisition.
    I bought this nice Cosmic moonphase ref. 2471/1 cal. DLPC in very nice condition, everything seems to be good.

IMG_0674.JPG

But my question is about the dial, indeed there are tritium points at hours markers so normally the hands should have tritium too.

I searched on the net and I didn't see any Cosmic with this combination (this dial + tritium hands).

So what do you think??

For me the dial is untouched, so if there is problem it's with the hands.

Thanks for your answers ;)

Flavien.

omegastar likes this.
  2. omegastar Jun 13, 2017

Looks nice, but I think the hands should have lume.

Flav likes this.
  3. AnotherDon Jun 13, 2017

I've owned a few of these over the years and still have two. I've never seen one with lume on the hands or on the dial for that matter. I think your hands are correct, but I'm less certain about the dial with the lume dots.

Flav likes this.
  4. omegastar Jun 14, 2017

I think everyone's gone on hollydays ...

Flav likes this.
  5. Flav Jun 14, 2017

Thanks AnotherDon.
    I have never seen this dial with lume plots but it seems to be original:

IMG_2766.JPG

Here an example of dial + hands with lume:

IMG_2767.JPG

Maybe it should have these hands

6. BenBagbag Jun 14, 2017

Can you please post pictures of your watches :)
    These are kind of a grail for me, but I have no confidence in my ability to assess them, nor do I have any clue where to find one ::confused2::

7. AnotherDon Jun 14, 2017

Here are pics of the 2 that I currently own...

First the round one...

[​IMG]

And the square one...

[​IMG]

8. Interstellar Jun 14, 2017

I'm voting a redial due to the presence of the lume and the fact that the numbers are not very consistent, eg ink on number 8 is too thick. But I believe the hands are original to the watch. I've seen both these types of hands on Cosmic TDMP watches.

9. ConElPueblo Jun 14, 2017

Mate... The first watch is the one you now own. 2nd EDIT: Just realised that you were just showing better close-up of the dial ::shy::::facepalm2::

I think it could well be a redial, looking at how OMEGA has been written; thin script but pretty uneven.
    The second one in the above quoted post has replacement hands.

EDIT: @AnotherDon, are you sure the first one you've posted isn't a redial too?

Edited Jun 14, 2017
  10. AnotherDon Jun 14, 2017

Nope, not sure. And even less sure that I would care if it was. I'm not a stickler for original dials if the redial has been done well. The fact that this watch is in an 18kt gold case was enough to get me past whether the dial was truly original. I know that there is a cadre of dial purists. I simply am not among that group.

I bought that watch in about 1999. Got it for a very good price, but it had some mechanical issues when I bought it. I then sent the watch to Omega Bienne for repair. Omega thought that the dial and hands should be left alone, but they wanted to replace the day and month wheels. According to their archives that watch was originally sold in Brazil and had Portugese day and month wheels. At that time they (Omega) still had Portugese day and month wheels available and so I let them change out those wheels. They did, however, leave the original moonphase wheel.

Whether it's been redialed or not and the resulting impact on value is of no consequence to me since I have no intentions of ever selling it. Although in my prior life I ran a fairly aggressive catch and release program with my watch collection, this watch was never put on the block. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

11. ConElPueblo Jun 14, 2017

That's fine by me, it's your watch. No-one is challenging you or anything.