Forums Latest Members
  1. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 17, 2013

Just got this home from seller. Please tell me that the smudged letters on dial are a normal variation from manufacturing. This watch gives double messages. The case is extremely crisp even under loup, crown is correct and rose gold (an original Omega crown - not aftermarket), the seamonster on the back is crisp and in perfect shape. Yet the "waterproof" on the back is very weak and is there not normally a "Seamaster" on the opposite side from the "Waterproof"? The indexes on the dial have even oxidation (good) and the dial has a grainy, flat black finish. The text and painted second track is in gold paint - that is rather thick and it has filled the small triangles in "Omega" and "automatic" - but not in any of the letters in "Seamaster" and "Calendar". Minute and seconds hands may look a little long in the pics but are actually exactly reaching the indexes. Omega crystal.

What to make of this? Seller claims it to be original and untouched (which is of course not true as there is no oxidation of the case). The case speaks almost NOS - with the exception of the weak "waterproof". Dial and hands? What do you say?
    Have not checked inside but the seller described it as a Ref 2849 SC-5 352 Cal 503 with a serial begining 17179XXX.

The watch is not looking very rose in the pics but it is.

Shall I have it sent back or not?
    regards
    JE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sellers pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 17, 2013

The printing should NOT be raised and should be in pink to match the case and figures.

I say the dial has been refinished.

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 17, 2013

The case does not look right to me, like it has be re-contoured in polishing to some degree. The script Omega appears so thick that the letters appear "filled in", as though it has been re-inked. The photos of the dial are not really detailed though and that makes it hard to be definitive, but I don't like what I see. My vote :thumbsdown:

4. Alpenschneerot Apr 17, 2013

Hi Stiggpy,
    I think the dial is repainted. Also there is no lume at the bottom of the hour markers. The hands should also wear lume. The Ref.2849 case seems to be original but a bit overpolished at the caseback.
    Because of this" phantasie dial":thumbsdown: , I would send the watch back!
    Here is my 2849 with original black dial. IMG_0125[1].JPG

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 17, 2013

What a shame - I think it is a repaint and would send it back pronto. I spoke with hockey about this watch and we thought based on the seller's pictures the dial was probably original but that we both weren't 100% sure mostly because we have never seen a black dial in a 503 with rose gold markers in a rose gold case and the dial style was different with the typical 503 SM dial being one like the watch above where the minute has marks are at the edge of the dial.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 17, 2013

I had no idea 2849s came with the hippocampus caseback :\ wish mine had that now...

7. ulackfocus Apr 17, 2013

I thought the black was put on after the coloring of the lettering, leaving an "opening" where the paint for the lettering to show through.

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 17, 2013

I believe it depends on the subcontractor, many are clearly not.

9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 17, 2013

the movement doesn't look in great condition either.... would i be right in saying the lip (?) of the rotor has bee scraping the casback?

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 17, 2013

True in the case of the Longines Conquests

11. hockey Apr 18, 2013

The word "Seamaster" is not stamped into the case back - it would be redundant no?

Close up of dial FYI

Phil[​IMG]

12. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 23, 2013

All of you - thank you for your input. I knew it instinctively but needed some support.
    After some serious pushing and shoving - he admitted it was a redial and agreed to a take it back. He pulled one last stunt - when he got it back and claimed I had seriously scratched it and even put some strange smear/gunk on the movement. People who know me - laughs at this...
    I just told him - it would be a bad idea to try this on me (Sweden is a rather small country).
    Some hours later I had a full refund on my bank account.

13. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 23, 2013

14. ozmega Apr 26, 2013

Bloody hell!

I've been watching that AND had taken it for an original dial.

I've always trusted Tradera more, but had a $1300 Connie from there go missing in the mail (paid by IBAN instead of Paypal, no refund) and now this.

I had just spoken to the wife this afternoon about having a shot at it.

I'm shattered.

I spotted the slightly mis matched crown but considered that fair play if it had been changed, case a little polished but not much, but a repainted dial!?

Back to noob school for me.

15. ozmega Apr 26, 2013

This actually a fairly common trait of the 503 caliber, you often see them with a mark on the rotor.

16. baoquang May 1, 2013

wow, interested on that item also (relisted one)... dodged the bullet

17. tomvox1 May 2, 2013

Might be repainted but absence of lume is not indicative of that in this case because when the hands are non-luminous usually the dial is as well in my experience. It is certainly a fact that Omega manufactured non-luminous dress models--Constellations, Semasters, et al--as a customer option.
    Best,
    T.

18. Alpenschneerot May 2, 2013

Hi dsio,
    here is the caseback of my Seamaster Calendar 2849, black dial,with the big seamonster and an engraving from Sweden.
    Reiner IMG_0227[1].JPG Sweden.