Forums Latest Members
  1. Gka Dec 16, 2016

Hi all.
    I am sorry if this is posted in the wrong section or something. I am looking at a few vintage omegas from the 60s. The seller has a good reputation so i am pretty confident they are authentic, but my problem is that i have no idea what a good/fair price is.

If i were to post some pictures of the watch, with info and price, is it possible to get some advice? Obviously not if the price is exactly right, but if it seems completely off or something?

Regards

2. novina Dec 16, 2016

Please post pictures or a link of the watches you are interested in. See what you can find out about them first and include your assessment with the pictures. List your concerns about them. Tell so what you know about them. You can also read the sticky at the top of this section in what we are looking for when you post. We will help, but we also expect you to do the initial leg work. So post away and welcome.

3. ConElPueblo Dec 16, 2016

I'm calling

1) overpolished.
    2) redial.
    3) overpriced.
    4) Seamaster 30/600/DeVille.
    5) fake buckle.

For each one I get right, I'll donate £10 to @Alpha's beagle charity. Merry Christmas everyone!

4. Gka Dec 16, 2016

Thanks! Go easy on me here ;) As I said, I know nothing about watches :) Will post the info I can find plus high quality pics from the ads.

Omega Century 18K from 1958. Serviced in 2016. Accordning to the ad its (all?) original.
    30mm IN-House caliber 284 - 18000 A/h , 43h reserve, ref. 16055540 (sorry if this doesn't make sense...)
    35 mm.

Asking price = USD 1 900.

222222.jpg

00_962127101.jpg 111111.jpg
    00_1366150483.jpg

Century 14K from 1957. Serviced 2016.
    30mm IN-House caliber 266 - 18000 A/h , 43h reserve, ref. 14257937.
    Asking price = USD 1 950

33333.jpg

444444.jpg

5555.jpg

66666.jpg

Sorry for not providing more info. I know its hard to tell just from pictures, but if the wathces indeed are original or mostly original, does around 1900 bucks sound way too much? Thanks!

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 16, 2016

Way too expensive. Where is the seller located?

6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 16, 2016

I'm pretty sure you're in for 30, at least.

7. Gka Dec 16, 2016

Which three :p ? I'm guessing overpriced, overpolished and fake buckle?

The seller is located in Scandinavia. What would be a fair price to pay? Might have to look around some more then....
    Thanks!

8. ConElPueblo Dec 16, 2016

Let's see those buckles ;)
    I didn't get the model right, otherwise I'm doing good :D

Are you in Denmark?

9. Gka Dec 16, 2016

Norway. You Danish?
    What do you reckon the price should be? I am fine to overpay a little bit if it means I'm buying F2F from a trusted seller...
    When you mentioned Seamaster and DeVille, is that because they are models beginners typically overpay for? Would they be cheaper options?

10. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 16, 2016

Don't know about the buckle, since we can't see it. Over polished, overpriced and refinished dial. I asked about the seller because the dial looks like what comes out of South Korea.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  11. ConElPueblo Dec 16, 2016

Denmark, yep.

Exactly, those are pretty normal first buys for those new to vintage, though I didn't mean that people typically overpay for them.

The specimens you've picked out are both redials, meaning that the have little/no interest for collectors and their value ought to be adhusted accordingly. You'd have a very hard time getting the same amount of money for them again, should you wish to sell at some point. Also, they are overpolished, meaning that they have lost a lot of the original sharp shape which they had from new.

Take some pieces of advice:
    Take it slow. Do some research on here and don't buy the first and best you can find for sale.
    Don't listen to sellers who claim that their old watches are "rare", as they seldom are.
    Avoid cases that look very shiny like the ones you show here - they will probably have been overpolished.
    Look up references online when in doubt and compare - nothing beats experience.

Finally: There is no such thing as a trusted seller of vintage watches, no matter how good a reputation he has. Outside of OF, that is :D

12. Gka Dec 16, 2016

Thanks a lot! Great advice! Problem is it's hard to take your time once you start looking... but i just have to force myself to i guess! Ill do some reading up in the meantime :)

13. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 16, 2016

I suggest you keep an eye on the Private Watch Sales board, here. Once you decide what you want, set up a search on WatchRecon.com and wait, patiently.

chronos likes this.
  14. Gka Dec 16, 2016

Will do!
    Cheers

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 16, 2016

Another piece of advice...

Old watches are supposed to look "old". I would be wary of any 50+ year watch that has a pristine dial if the rest of the watch looks to have normal wear. There are exceptions, but those are rare.

Now, some people like this "as new" look, but as stated above, the watches never looked like that when they were new. I admit that the redialer did a nice job matching fonts from the period.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

chronos and efauser like this.
  16. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Dec 16, 2016

This is sound advice. A total newbie a month ago could have built an absolutely killer collection based just on what has sold on OF within the past 30 days.

efauser likes this.
  17. Gka Dec 16, 2016

Yeah, in hindsight it looked a bit too shiny... i can see that now.

The sales forum looked very nice, but i guess there are bad deals there as well (perhaps with a better chance of someone pointing out flaws). Will proceed with caution☺

18. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 16, 2016

There are very very few incorrect watches posted in the private sales forum
    It has to be the safest place (anywhere) to buy a vintage Omega
    The members stake their reputation on these sales
    Hence the 200 post rule
    Sometimes watches are incorrectly described and they are corrected privately
    Occasionally they are 'outed' publicly as happened recently - this is very rare
    You can generally buy with confidence and with your kind of budget there have been some cracking watches up for sale recently
    Best of luck with your hunt

efauser likes this.
  19. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Dec 16, 2016

I would like to add my 2 cents to the comments above.
    The watches you showed are not attractive to collectors (i.e. most people on this forum) because they have lost much of the originality. Most obvious is the blue dial, which is nowhere near how the watch looked when it was manufactured decades ago. Collectors pay a premium for originality, condition and rarity. If you want a bit of a shock look at this watch part for sale on the forum.
    That said, the watches are actually quite attractive on their own. The blue and gold work well. The movement looks in excellent condition. It seems the seller is providing something that would please a lot people, just not the vintage watch collector. I wonder if the price is out of line since it is an 18k case. I'm not familiar with this model but my guess if it had an original dial and a little less case polishing it would go for lot more money by collectors.

20. Gka Dec 16, 2016

Yeah! Definetely agreeing now. Seeing whats for sale on here (by what I assume are highly trusted dealers) I am happy I didn´t go for one of the above mentioned pieces. Seems 1K goes a long way.