Forums Latest Members
  1. Hoodlum Nov 6, 2015

I'm new to the whole vintage watch thing not sure if I'm getting in over my head but I have a local pawn dealer who has two vintage rare omegas he claims can you guys help me out if they're real and what the value is he wants 4000 for the man on the moon and 3000

image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 6, 2015

Do you have any photos of the movement or inside the case back? I'd say he's asking too much for both. I don't think either is particularly rare, but I may be wrong.

3. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Nov 6, 2015

The Speedmaster is overpriced at $4K. Looks like all the lume was scraped off the dial essentially, the case is over polished, and the bezel is modern era. Even if it wasn't DON, it would look different from that. I'd pass.

4. Optimizer13 Nov 6, 2015

pass!

5. Tennos Nov 6, 2015

Hoodlum (you might want to think about a different nickname),

I am fairly new to the vintage world myself, having been a modern watch guy up until recently. The best insight I have gotten from forum members is that brick and mortar dealers are generally a poor source for buying watches. First, they are often less educated than you would think, and except for the dealers active on the forum, usually less educated than the real enthusiasts who are in it for love and not money. Second, dealers with stores have to make enough profit to pay the rent and their overhead, and will be doing that at your expense.Third, many dealers will not tell you about issues with their watches, either because they don't know, or just don't want to tell you.

The watches that members of the forum put up for sale are usually more reasonably priced and they tend to have better information on condition and history.

Welcome and good luck!

6. Hoodlum Nov 7, 2015

The nickname was something that was given to me as a kid sorry if it offends you !

7. Hijak Nov 7, 2015

I think it's a fine nickname!:cool:

Hoodlum likes this.
  8. Tennos Nov 7, 2015

Doesn't anyone have a sense of humor anymore?

Hoodlum likes this.
  9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 8, 2015

I chuckled.

Hoodlum likes this.