Forums Latest Members

Need advise on Explorer before I buy

1. Toishome May 15, 2020

I have been looking to buy an Explorer II with tritium dial for a little while and I have found this watch. Listed by a reputable dealer and has a 12-month warranty. Box, manual and hang tag included but missing papers. Asking USD 6,500
    Being advertised as never been polished and I would agree. Lume is not as dark as I would like it but still nice and even.
    Love to hear your thoughts before I buy in case I am making a mistake ::confused2::

PHOTO-2020-05-15-09-15-35.jpg PHOTO-2020-05-15-09-15-32.jpg PHOTO-2020-05-15-09-15-33 2.jpg PHOTO-2020-05-15-09-15-33.jpg PHOTO-2020-05-15-09-15-34.jpg PHOTO-2020-05-15-09-15-35 2.jpg
    Ohmeguh likes this.
  2. TraderSantiago May 15, 2020

I've always seen the Explorer II's as quite undervalued compared to other Rolex models. Price seems fair though.

3. JEFF56 May 15, 2020

Had the same watch, best I’ve ever had.

4. Dan S May 15, 2020

The watch looks nice, but I agree that the lack of patina is a drawback for a tritium piece. I don't know what these are currently selling for, but obviously the accessories without the papers are worth zilch. Probably just put together by the seller from spares he has in stock. I would check with UV light to make sure that the hands aren't luminova service pieces.

watch3s, JwRosenthal and Toishome like this.
  5. harrymai86 May 15, 2020

Looks like a light creame patina has been developed

6. beerbelly May 15, 2020

Very nice sharp looking piece. But I would prefer deeper patina though. Here’s mine... 00DBA644-68E0-4274-82B6-7914600CAC0F.jpeg

7. Toishome May 15, 2020

You and me both :D
    Might as well call dibs now

8. wagudc May 15, 2020

Wouldn't you expect the patina to develop? This watch is still fairly young right? I am no expert in this area, so my questions are not retorical.

9. Dan S May 15, 2020

Patina develops based on the history of the watch. Some moisture maybe, being left in the dark for years ... who knows. I've heard people speculate that lume formulas from certain years are more likely to turn yellow than formulas from other years. Again, who knows, but if very little has developed over 25-ish years, there's no guarantee that will change any time soon. I wouldn't buy a watch with the idea that patina will improve on any type of reasonable time scale. That's just wishful thinking. In watches I have owned, the only really noticeable changes I've seen over time is the growth of moldy areas. :rolleyes:

watch3s likes this.
  10. wagudc May 15, 2020

Thanks for the thoughtful answer. I was thinking of patina developing further over decades not years. But as you say, who knows? For me a watch like this would be a keeper, heirloom watch.

Dan S likes this.
  11. JwRosenthal May 15, 2020

It is subject to production year of watch and when they were playing with different formulas. The MkI vs MKII 16750 dials mature differently even though within a year or two of each other. My GMT, which I bought when it was 20 years old, always had a very light yellow (just off white) tinge to the lume. Only in the last decade has it started to deepen...and I don’t like it as I remember when it was almost white, and the red part of the bezel was deep red....it’s not just our watches that are getting older :(

MedicMike, wagudc and Toishome like this.
  12. asrnj77 May 15, 2020

I wouldn’t put much faith in “never polished”. It certainly doesn’t appear to be over polished and that’s what matters. Since this is being sold by a dealer, they have no idea and are just throwing out buzz words. 25 years ago people weren’t freaking out telling Rolex service centers not to polish. That means that it was either never serviced by Rolex, it was serviced but by an unknown independent watchman who also didn’t polish, or it was serviced by Rolex and properly polished which is totally fine :thumbsup:

I’ll add that I think there is room to negotiate a bit on the price. I’ve seen polar dials selling for that and those command more money.

Toishome likes this.
  13. Sherbie May 16, 2020

Is that long scratch by the 7 o/c marker on the dial or crystal

thats a concern for me

MedicMike likes this.
  14. WYO_Watch May 16, 2020

I’ve been looking at GMTs for a while now - I know nothing about originality etc. but I have a decent grip on what they’re trading at. I’ve seen several tritium dials without box and paper around $6.5k and some have had more lume coloration.

My .02 is that this price is fine, but you could likely get the coloration you want for about the same price.

Toishome, JwRosenthal and Dan S like this.
  15. OmeGez May 16, 2020

I’m willing to take a punt and say it’s a little over priced for one without papers - If it’s one that you’d like to keep, then definitely don’t skimp out to just get a tritium. More will come up for sale.

I’d also take a guess at those hands are lighter than the dial. It could be the photo angle/light.

As mentioned above - the chances that it’s never been polished is like a lottery win. A watch that’s over 20 years old is more than likely to have seen a polishing wheel and the last photo, to me, shows that it’s been near a wheel. The spring bars are further out on that side.

personally. With the current situation with the world and with time on your hands for a heirloom, I’d wait for another one to come up.

The hunt is almost better than the purchase and you don’t want a regrettable purchase once the honeymoon period has worn off.

I waited almost 7 years for my grail and I’m
    So happy i did.

Explorador and Toishome like this.
  16. OmeGez May 16, 2020

F1E4C2ED-3A5C-4C4A-9E47-356765BEA5D4.jpeg Just for good measure - my grail was a P serial black dial.

MedicMike, Explorador and Toishome like this.
  17. JwRosenthal May 16, 2020

I didn’t notice the scratch in the crystal before @Sherbie pointed it out or is that lint? Is this an acrylic crystal and can be buffed out? This is why I love when you get multiple sets on eyes on one watch- everyone notices something different.
    Personally, I think this is a great looking watch- and it’s not a GMT Pepsi that everyone goes silly over (yes I love mine but wouldn’t pay what people are asking these days), and it’s not a sub which seems to the the standard “Rolex” look.
    I love the white indices and actually prefer it on this model over well yellowed lume- it pops. Some light scuffs on the case and sharp chamfers tell me it hasn’t been dressed up for sale and even if it were polished in the past, it was done delicately.
    I think all of the Explorer’s (I&II) from this era are the last sanely priced watches in the vintage Rolex line-up. as Dan said, without cert, the box & junk have no real value- I would try to knock it down a little.

Toishome likes this.
  18. Toishome May 16, 2020

I appreciate everyone's input. The hands do look a tad bit lighter than the dial so I will have to investigate a bit more to make sure. I am very happy with the case even if it has been polished lightly in the past. The dial I like but I don't love. Like others said no one knows when that will turn if ever any darker. After hearing from everyone I am leaning on passing on this one and waiting for one I LOVE and not just like. Then again I can see if I get a better deal and wear this one until my true love comes knocking :D

OmeGez likes this.
  19. JwRosenthal May 16, 2020

This is your answer- period. Don’t buy just because you may get a better deal. If you don’t love it, don’t buy it.

Explorador, Candle00 and Toishome like this.
  20. Toishome May 16, 2020

I know, I know :oops: Its the first of the 10 commandments.

1. The watch must talk to you.

I leave the other 9 for others to fill in :D

Explorador likes this.