Forums Latest Members

Need Advise: How to size vintage folded beads/mesh bracelet?

1. purplecat Dec 27, 2020

I'm interested in purchasing something like this, but I've been having trouble finding info on sizing this specific type of bracelet - does anyone have experience shortening one? I'm handy with tools so would it be a pliers and patience type of job or should it be left to a jeweler/watchmaker?

Thanks in advance!

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg
    D YOUNG likes this.
  2. shishy www.hpmor.com Dec 27, 2020

Depends on what kinda pins hold the links together. Some you can just stick a paperclip in and push out, others you’ll want to clamp down and hammer out. Should be possible tho. If you can’t, any jeweler should be able to in minutes.

purplecat likes this.
  3. D YOUNG Dec 27, 2020

This looks similar to Seiko beads of rice in construction. You can carefully pry open the folded parts on the back to remove links. If course someone may come along shortly and tell you the right way . :)

purplecat likes this.
  4. Pazzo Dec 27, 2020

Nope.
    You would need an end plier to pull out those domed rivets. You end up with a long rivet and its head.

Calculate the length needed for your wrist.
    Once you've done that, hold both ends of the bracelet together and insert the longer part of the rivet through, then hammer gently the head on the other side of the rivet.

purplecat and JwRosenthal like this.
  5. purplecat Dec 28, 2020

Thanks for the reply (and @shishy for confirming the hammer method), it sounds easy enough to give a go on my own but nice to know it IS sizable nonetheless.

Pazzo likes this.
  6. Pazzo Dec 28, 2020

7. SkunkPrince Dec 28, 2020

If you've never done it before... don't. There is no shame in getting a watchmaker to do it and some will not even charge you. You really don't want to ruin a vintage bracelet just because you think you can do it when you never have.

Pazzo, Omegafanman and purplecat like this.