Forums Latest Members
  1. Verdulken Nov 30, 2017

Dear OF, I found this 30T2 for sale and even tho I've been spending my evenings on this forum reading and trying to learn all I can of course I am no expert so if you could please advice on whether this seems the real deal.

Thanks in advance!

It's been advertised as a Jumbo 30T2 blue seconds, 36mm diameter from ~1947, ref 2504-1, manual wind cal 30T2SCPC.

Here are some pics:

0X2TlUo.jpg 3JNGdhF.jpg EwNCgWf.jpg r0aiQqj.jpg tZkyzVR.jpg vzpbrcZ.jpg x1NSTwH.jpg YJcb7oV.jpg 4iSMVCa.jpg AmrIYV2.jpg
  2. wwhntr Nov 30, 2017

Typically jumbos are considered 37-38mm. 36mm wears well and in thinner bezel models appear to look bigger than 36mm. Attractive watch, possibly a redial. If you like watch and price is reasonable everything looks correct for this reference. The 30T2 movement helps value/desirability some too!

Verdulken and ConElPueblo like this.
  3. Rman Nov 30, 2017

Real deal. I believe the dial is probably legit.
    Serial is a little low for signed crown.

Verdulken, Syrte and ConElPueblo like this.
  4. Bumper Nov 30, 2017

Not a true Jumbo, those are 38mm without the crown, ref 2505.

Verdulken and ConElPueblo like this.
  5. Verdulken Nov 30, 2017

Thanks for the replies! I do like the watch...and the price? well I'll be honest and say that I am not sure if it's a fair one? Can/should I share it here? If I buy it is to keep it or as a gift to my dad (who is much into watches and owns a few nice ones), not really as an investment but also I would like to buy something that is as original as possible. The crown not being original to this watch doesn't concern me as much as maybe the dial being a redial.

Spruce likes this.
  6. heavenscloud Dec 1, 2017

Omega states that the case diameter is 35 mm: https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-other-omega-ck-2504/

Agree with Rman that signed crown is early; it appears to be period-correct. Seems early for "Swiss Made" on the dial.

Here are two brothers:
    CK 2504 and CK 2256.jpg

CK 2504 from 1949 on the left and CK 2256 jumbo on the right. Both have signed crowns. The 2256 has a similar crown to the watch you posted. Neither have dials that state "Swiss Made."

omegastar and Verdulken like this.
  7. Oku Dec 1, 2017

I'd vote for original dial.

Yes, it is allowed to ask if a price is ok.

Verdulken likes this.
  8. Verdulken Dec 1, 2017

Thanks again for all the insight. So the asking price for this puppy is $600, does it sound like a fair price?

durri70 likes this.
  9. Verdulken Dec 1, 2017

Awesome research, thank you. Does it seem like the watch I posted has the case of the 2504 but the dial and hands of the 2256, or is it just me?

10. wwhntr Dec 1, 2017

Almost brick and mortar store retail at $600. Better be serviced, original dial, and you really like watch. Expect no gain if resold.

11. heavenscloud Dec 1, 2017

Many references from this era had a number of possible dial configurations. It just so happens that the 2256 has a similar dial. My primary concern with this watch is the dial. Specifically, the presence of "Swiss Made" and the font of the mirror indexes make me suspect that it's a re-dial. The 2s and 6s aren't as curvy on the watch you posted. That said, IF it's a re-dial, it's one of the nicer ones I've seen.

12. omegastar Dec 1, 2017

For me, the key in those dials is the number 2 in the markers 2 and 12, it is impossible to refinish and it is very typical for the reference 2505 and family.

Verdulken and heavenscloud like this.
  13. Verdulken Dec 1, 2017

I see, thanks for the tip. Going to have to think about it a little harder....

14. Verdulken Dec 1, 2017

I'm glad I asked, I would have not noticed all these details. This would be my first vintage watch so I'll be honest and say I am a little torn here, I like the watch but at the same time maybe if I am more patient I can come across a better one and for a better price/value.

15. heavenscloud Dec 1, 2017

For reference, I paid an average price of $550 for each of the watches above. Neither are in working condition and I bid on them hoping the problem was only a broken mainspring. They are both entirely period-correct to my eyes. If a broken mainspring is the only problem, I consider them a steal. However, they are so nice, IMO, that I will put more money into them if necessary.

If you start collecting, a re-dial or suspected re-dial will probably annoy you at some point in the future. I fell into this rabbit hole about 3 years ago and have sold off nearly all of my original purchases because of one "flaw" or another that became apparent over time.

There's always another watch.... ;)

16. François Pépin Dec 1, 2017

I think the dial is original. Not sure because of the pics. But the presence of "Swiss made" on an early cal. 30 dial is not a red flag in itself. It can be found on several watches of the 40's - but can be not present as well!

Edited Dec 1, 2017
    heavenscloud likes this.
  17. Verdulken Dec 2, 2017

They are nice for sure and I can see why you would want to add money to them if needed. I can totally see what you mean, already feeling uneasy about this one so I can totally see it driving me crazy down the road just suspecting it being a redial. Thanks a lot for sharing and for the advice! I think I'm going to be patient and wait for another one, isn't searching half the fun anyways? ;)

18. heavenscloud Dec 2, 2017

Agreed. The CK 2292 comes to mind. Many of these have "Swiss Made" and they were earlier than the OP's watch. It seems unlikely that the OP's watch was produced with a "Swiss Made" dial when neither of the later serials I posted have it. But, we both know there's no hard or fast rules with vintage Omega :)

No problem! Hang out here and start a thread about any potential purchase just like you did with this one. Best of luck!

Edited Dec 2, 2017
    Verdulken likes this.
  19. fjf Dec 2, 2017

Those old dials are a problem, you are never sure...

Verdulken and heavenscloud like this.
  20. Dr No Dec 2, 2017

I'd be a buyer at that price.

Art

Rman likes this.