Forums Latest Members
  1. pjhollenstein Aug 25, 2018

Dear forum experts

I recently bought a vintage Omega Chronometre 30T2RG Ref. 2364 in steel. The watch was a real bargain and I bought it mainly with the intention of using it as donor watch. Now that the watch has arrived I am considering having it serviced and keeping it as is, as it actually looks great in the flesh and has a wonderful patina.

However, I would highly appreciate to get some opinions on the originality of the dial first... To me the dial looks good, except the missing seconds register on the subdial. I have never seen a 30t2rg without seconds register on the subdial. What is your opinion on this?

Do any of you have any experience with the conservation of dials? As you can see on the picture the dial started flaking a bit around the edges. Nothing too bad yet, but if I decide to keep the watch I would like to prevent this flaking from progressing further. Can the dial be conserved by having a layer of lacquer applied by a watchmaker or similar?

Thanks a lot for your insights and answers in advance!

Peter

20180825_121424.jpg 20180825_121224.jpg

Biezmez and Radiumpassion like this.
  2. jumpingsecond Aug 25, 2018

1st glance looks like the dial could be original and the sub seconds refinished but need better photos and without the logo obscured by the hands to make better determination. Crown is probably a replacement.

3. mac_omega Aug 25, 2018

The dial looks original but the subdial is a bit weird without the smaller hashes in between.

Would need larger high resolution photos without crystal - can you take off the bezel yourself?

4. pjhollenstein Aug 25, 2018

Unfortunately not - I will bring it to a watchmaker and will post better pictures.

Thanks a lot for the answers!

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 25, 2018

IMO dial is original. See image from @Franco's website. No register marks on the subdial.

7D4CF954-0CBC-402A-99EB-A1A36E9943A9.jpeg

http://squelettewatches.com/chronometres-30mm/

Crown looks to be an original Omega, although it could be a replacement on this particular watch.

My guess is that the owner(s) were heavy smokers. Can't be radiation damage as there is no radium on the dial.

Good luck with the project.
    gatorcpa

Deafboy, kyle L, X350 XJR and 2 others like this.
  6. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 25, 2018

I agree with Evan above. Beautiful piece with that patina...dibs! I would leave it alone too.

7. mac_omega Aug 25, 2018

Hi Evan,

I don´t want to sound like a busybody but I am sorry I must partly contradict. Please do not feel offended - not intended at all.

Firstly you can´t take an advertisment as a proof for dial design in all its details - we know how creative artists have been even in Speedy ADs
    ADs can be a help to find unknown dial designs but I would not rely on such tiny details.

Secondly it is better to compair apples with apples and pears with pears...

Here is an example from the dial compilation out of my chronometer-book which comes nearest to the dial design of the OP although there are small differences.

arab_rad_balk_PG.jpg

The obvious difference is that its a champagne-coloured dial with pink gold furniture but this is not so important, it could well exist as a silvered variant also.
    Another difference is the lack of SWISS MADE but the presence of all minute hashes.

And here is a similar version of this dial design:

7084.jpg

This is a section of an old black and white photo from a vintage dial-sample catalogue which I was able to study in the Omega Archive.
    The quality of the photo is not good but you can make out all details. This is not an AD created by some artist but a real b&w photo of a real dial sample of an (unknown) dial producer - judging by the font it was a dial from the Swiss company Flückiger.

See the different design version on the sub-dial, also without SWISS MADE and most likely a silvered dial, not champagne. And the numerals (hour markers) are on a circularly-brushed zone creating a two-tone effect

Edited after having enlarged the OP´s photo (did not expect a noob to post extra large photos in his first post :thumbsup:):

The dial is original for sure.
    It is a slightly different variant of the first dial design shown above. I will gladly include a photo of the dial in my book if the OP allowed me to so.

Edited Aug 25, 2018
  8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 25, 2018

OPs photos are actually very large, just have to click it and go to full resolution.

I think is may have been silvered dial with the lacquer turned golden.

jumpingsecond likes this.
  9. mac_omega Aug 25, 2018

Yes, you are right, it is a silvered dial with heavily degraded lacquer - can be seen where it flakes... it has nothing to do with smokers or the like

TBH I did not try to magnify it further - I have just done so - yes, the dial is 100% original

10. merchandiser Aug 25, 2018

Erich,

With regard to the dial being signed with “Swiss Made”, is it safe to say that it was produced in the late 40s or does it have to do with another factor such as dial manufacturer?

Michael

11. mac_omega Aug 25, 2018

Michael,

I have not found any rule for the presence or lack of SWISS MADE for most of the dials.
    There is only a small group of dials known to bear "SWISS" only (not mandatory but often) - it is the type shown in the AD which Evan (gator) posted.

merchandiser likes this.
  12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 25, 2018

Erich -

I had looked at the detailed pictures before making my post above. That’s what convinced me that the dial was original. That picture was the only evidence I could find of a 30mm Omega Chronometre without detailed seconds markings in the subdial. If nothing else, it is a very unusual dial variant.

My thought is that it is a later version of this reference, maybe as late as the early 1950’s, by which time “Swiss Made” on dials and signed crowns and crystals were routinely used by Omega.

Only a view of the movement can help at this point. I think we all agree on the dial now.

I’m happy that our OP has decided not to part out the watch. That would have been a real shame.

So, since no one else has done this yet, I will call “Dibs!”.
    gatorcpa

13. pjhollenstein Aug 25, 2018

Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge, highly appreciated! I will definiteley leave the watch as it is :)

I will try to post a better quality picture of the dial without crystal soon and also of the movement.

The exact reference is 2364-4 and the movement number 10584XXX. So it should date to approx. 1945?