Need advice on buying a watch online

Good Day, I am looking for a watch to buy for parts to correct the watch I helped to destroy when young (see first post https://omegaforums.net/threads/vintage-omega-automatic-342.171159/ ). I have found one on-line that has the dial I'm looking for but the movements show rust. The seller says "is fully operational and functions as intended". The seller is asking $700 for the watch. I would give a link but not sure if that is proper so instead I posted pictures. I am not savvy enough to know if the price they are asking is a good price but I feel the rust it is showing is suspect for the price. I can offer a price but for what it is I only want to offer a fair price. In my last post I showed the watch I have that is in pieces, some pieces are missing, some are a little rusted and broken. Do you think by looking at the photos that I could take the needed watch pieces, clean and install them on my watch? Second question, what would be a fair price for a watch in that condition? Thanks
Omega1.jpg Omega4.jpg Omega5.jpg

It’s a bad redial, you don’t want that dial. Or the rest of it. Keep looking.

Like 3
You are saying that you don’t know much about anything when it comes to vintage watches and you are asking if we think that you can buy a watch for parts and install the parts into your nonworking watch and make it all work? Does not seem realistic to me. Sorry.

Like 3
Can you remind us what parts you need?
Per DON, Movement is in poor condition and best you just replace it. You have the majority of the parts

Mainspring barrel is missing the mainspring and arbor

Clutch lever and spring missing

Rotor ratchet click spring missing. Have the arm and appears the screw

Rotor arm missing a screw. See two

Balance bridge arm out of position. Quick fix

Like 1
You are saying that you don’t know much about anything when it comes to vintage watches and you are asking if we think that you can buy a watch for parts and install the parts into your nonworking watch and make it all work? Does not seem realistic to me. Sorry.
I have this watch that belonged to my Father that I would like to make right after destroying it as a child. I am now retired, 45 years mechanic. I feel capable of making this repair now that I have a lot of free time. I am sure it will be difficult but I have no fears attempting the repair. I understand how or why you feel it is unrealistic, I would think the same if you told me you wanted to rewire a Maserati with no prior training. Nothing like a good challenge.

Like 1
If all you want are parts watches, I think this would be your best bet:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404920182221
Winning bid gets 2 movements. One with an original dial that may or may not fit your case.

2nd movement is not the same as the cal. 342 you have, but many of the parts will fit if you need them to.

Neither is particularly clean, but both are far better than that $700 rusty mess you were looking at.

gatorcpa

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Like 1
Per DON, Movement is in poor condition and best you just replace it. You have the majority of the parts

Mainspring barrel is missing the mainspring and arbor

Clutch lever and spring missing

Rotor ratchet click spring missing. Have the arm and appears the screw

Rotor arm missing a screw. See two

Balance bridge arm out of position. Quick fix
If you just need a movement, I don't think you necessarily need to buy a fully complete and functioning watch with dial, hands, and case. Just focus on getting a clean functional movement.

Winning bid gets 2 movements. One with an original dial that may or may not fit your case.

2nd movement is not the same as the cal. 342 you have, but many of the parts will fit if you need them to.

Neither is particularly clean, but both are far better than that $700 rusty mess you were looking at.

gatorcpa
::facepalm1:: I added this to my watch list, till I saw it was located in Brazil, and they want 50 bucks shipping. Possibly a shipping scam. eBay will not refund shipping. So good luck if the parts ever do appear after weeks of waiting for international shipping. And even if they do they are probably naff.

I probably paid too much for the 552 I am playing with. It can take years/decades finding the part. If I did not already have a large set of parts from decades ago, this would have be a disaster. Even so I will need to use alum on the main plate to remove the rusted lumps of dial screws.

The 505 was even worse. Would not even fit the case I had intended for it. The only reason I went for these is I have 30 years of experience. Each part is going to cost around 35 bucks. So it adds up quickly. I like the hunt and chase. Sometimes the watch gods and fairies do reward this, but it takes effort and skill, which does not come from pulling the lever of a slot machine.

I love basket cases. Have a few threads here on this. I keep telling the OP to purchase cheap watches AS, Felsa or ETA movements. Learn the skills -- learn the tools.

Yes we know this one has sentimental value. It is not going anywhere. If a watchmaker bought a mechanic his dads nice car like a mustang or MG he took apart 30 years before and it sat in a field for most of that time, would the mechanic suggest what cars to look for to repair it?

Also not there will be competition for these parts. I may not know much about cars, but I know the phrase "Lucas electronics." will make auto restorers run for the hills.

In watch repair. Rotor bushings are much the same thing.

Like 1
If you just need a movement, I don't think you necessarily need to buy a fully complete and functioning watch with dial, hands, and case. Just focus on getting a clean functional movement.
He needs a dial too.

upload_2024-4-13_16-19-55.png

Like 3
I am sure he can repaint it in the auto body shop. Might even have the UV lamps to set the paint.

I suspect a lot of redials are done with autobody and other heat setting or UV catalised paints. Especially the listings from india with the bright colors.

gatorcpa
Thanks for the lead, I put a $50 bid on it, think its worth a try. If I am the winning bid and I receive it, for sure I'll learn something even if it is trashed.

Practice movements are probably a better place to start. ETA movements are the closest to Omega as they were also part of SMH before they changed the name to swatch group.

It is easy to get carried away with parts movements. I have 19 landeron chronograph movements and counting. A simple slip of the tweezers and a hairspring gets tangled. Pivots get broken. I broke the center wheel of the 552 last night. Fortunalty I have another. Cannon pinion is to tall (for a date movement) Sweep pinion likewise.

Materials houses like OFrei are the first place I look for such things. eBay auctions tend to be shark feeding frenzy's. There was a bunch of 640 ladies parts today and I got none. Do not really need them, but for a 99cent starting bid it gets tempting. There are 470 parts going off tomorrow. If I can get some cheaper than the materials house then I will. More likely someone will 'just have to have them.' Still not sure what I will do with a half dozen 681 date guards. Or calendar jumpers. I need rotor axles.

There is a lot of info here in the watchmaking section. I do not think a lot of people bother to read it. Most of it is related for looking for elusive parts. The real gems are where the manufactures data sheets are shared. These are not the easiest things to find online.

Would have loved to have had access to such things 30 years ago. I did by paper copies and books when I could. Only with the help of these forums have I been able to understand the codes for things like crystals, hands case clamps and other items with no pictures.

It is also really easy to be penny wise and pound foolish. Or 20 nickels today no dollars tomorrow.

Like 1
Do you think by looking at the photos that I could take the needed watch pieces, clean and install them on my watch? Second question, what would be a fair price for a watch in that condition? Thanks
1. No
2. That watch is terrible. Keep looking

Like 1
Practice movements are probably a better place to start. ETA movements are the closest to Omega as they were also part of SMH before they changed the name to swatch group

It is easy to get carried away with parts movements. I have 19 landeron chronograph movements and counting. A simple slip of the tweezers and a hairspring gets tangled. Pivots get broken. I broke the center wheel of the 552 last night. Fortunalty I have another. Cannon pinion is to tall (for a date movement) Sweep pinion likewise.

Materials houses like OFrei are the first place I look for such things. eBay auctions tend to be shark feeding frenzy's. There was a bunch of 640 ladies parts today and I got none. Do not really need them, but for a 99cent starting bid it gets tempting. There are 470 parts going off tomorrow. If I can get some cheaper than the materials house then I will. More likely someone will 'just have to have them.' Still not sure what I will do with a half dozen 681 date guards. Or calendar jumpers. I need rotor axles.
There is a lot of info here in the watchmaking section. I do not think a lot of people bother to read it. Most of it is related for looking for elusive parts. The real gems are where the manufactures data sheets are shared. These are not the easiest things to find online.

Would have loved to have had access to such things 30 years ago. I did by paper copies and books when I could. Only with the help of these forums have I been able to understand the codes for things like crystals, hands case clamps and other items with no pictures.

It is also really easy to be penny wise and pound foolish. Or 20 nickels today no dollars tomorrow.

ETA movements, OFrei, lot of info here in the watchmaking section. Appreciated

Like 1
Got outbid on those watches, going to let it go. Reflecting today that was an impulse buy.