Forums Latest Members

Need advice on buckles, deployant and straps for a pre-moon Speedy

1. sirish19 Feb 15, 2015

Hi all, I m the proud owner of my first vintage speedmaster professional pre-moon. I don't have the original 1039 bracelet (there is a newer model on there), but I would also like to put a leather strap on there with a deployant. I assume that there aren't any period specific deployments for 1968 so how does everyone like the look of a vintage watch with a new buckle. Also, what leathers and color do you feel go well with a vintage Speedmaster? Would a new croc strap look "too new" on a vintage watch?

Edited by a mod Feb 15, 2015
  2. JohnSteed Feb 15, 2015

Easy. View WRUW where plenty examples exist for your viewing pleasure and review

Congrats !!!

3. imexian Feb 15, 2015

Tan or darkish brown croc looks good with a deployant strap. The ones you cut to size to fit wrist are dodgy, seem to fall a bit strange on wrist, well mine anyway!
    I have a 1039 ss band for mine but to expensive and bit flimsy to use!,
    Ian

Edited by a mod Feb 15, 2015
    sirish19 likes this.
  4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 15, 2015

19mm oil with 16mm Omega deployant.
    3084.jpg

sirish19 and iLuveketchup like this.
  5. ulackfocus Feb 15, 2015

"Deployant"

Military units go on deployment. Watches go on deployant clasps.

That is all. :thumbsup:

sirish19 likes this.
  6. Slevin kelevra Feb 16, 2015

I for one think vintage watches should be on vintage (or at least vintage looking) straps.

In my mind (and I could be wrong) vintage watches suit thin supple, straps in quite subduded browns or black.

All to often you see someone with a very nice vintage watch and they have put it on an oversized leather strap with bright red stitching or something similar.....

7. pascs Feb 16, 2015

This is my favorite look for a more vintage piece, this is actually a strap for a normal buckle but fitted with the Hirsch Sport deployant.

[​IMG]

sirish19, Varasc and Slevin kelevra like this.
  8. sirish19 Feb 16, 2015

I am trying to decide between going with a deployant or a vintage tang buckle. I like the convenience of the deployant but I assume there probably weren't deployants for the Speedy in 1968 so it wouldn't be period exact.

Does anyone have any recommendation on where to get a vintage Omega tang buckle? Is there any reference that shows the variations of buckles and bracelets for each year? I also assume that the tang buckle would be more versatile to add additional straps (especially vintage ones that may not accommodate the newer deployant.

Thoughts?