Forums Latest Members

Neat time grapher app for iOS

1. Greatoldone Mar 23, 2017

Just downloaded this, it appears to be an inexpensive way to keep an eye on how your watches are keeping time.

It uses the mic in a standard pair of ear buds to detect the watches tick in the same way a 'real' time grapher does, and to my untrained eye appears to do a decent job of it

Not saying that it'll replace a dedicated unit, but for the hobbist, it's a relitively cheap app to download.

Here's the app in action - first my Heuer re-edition Carrera cal 17:
    IMG_2950.PNG
    Not bad!

And secondly, my Heuer autavia 11630 cal. 12:
    IMG_2951.PNG
    Due for a service, methinks... :eek:;)

Both captures where on my iPhone 7, with the supplied earbud mic against the back of the case of each watch.

Watch Tuner Timegrapher by Bartlomiej Swiatek
    https://appsto.re/gb/O-Wf7.i

He also has some cut down versions of the app as well, that leaves out some functionality- but the link posted is the full app.

Cheers

Jason

Lukeeesteve, marcn and KstateSkier like this.
  2. Paedipod Mar 23, 2017

hmmm....not reviewed positively.

3. Greatoldone Mar 23, 2017

Works for me...

4. Paedipod Mar 23, 2017

:thumbsup:

just don't want to get into a rationalization for me opening things up......

Greatoldone likes this.
  5. turbo_muc Mar 1, 2018

any other experience with this or any other timegraphing app?

From the experts: is it worth for hobby watch lovers?

Cheers, Thomas

6. ChrisN Mar 1, 2018

You know, Jason, that these lines should be continuous and smooth so, I suspect that the microphone is not sufficiently sensitive or is too sensitive. You'd hope to see continuous parallel lines to be sure that it's reading correctly. It's probably outside of the abilities of our phone microphones though. Mines Android and there is nothing like this available that I can easily see. Obviously, you'd need to set the lift angle correctly for it's use if you want to read amplitude and I think you have but don't immediately know these calibres - are they 2892 based?

I know you have an interest but, for the casual user, these can open up all sorts of questions! If anyone is interested, read here about what you're seeing on the display. Really pages 14 and 15 but, pages 5 to 11 are pretty good.

Cheers, Chris

turbo_muc likes this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 1, 2018

^^^ I know someone who developed an app such as this, and a clear audio signal is the biggest challenge by far.

I don't think I would rely on any of these app's to give you information that could be used for decision-making purposes with regards to service.

Cheers, Al

turbo_muc likes this.