Forums Latest Members

Near NOS 2007 50th Anniversary Speedy

1. Nicolas Apr 6, 2018

Happy Friday to all

A co-worker of mine recently told me that he bought a 2007 50th Anniversary Speedmaster (311.30.42.30.01.001; with sapphire crystal) back in 2008 as a gift for his father. For reasons incomprehensible to me his dad wasn't much into the watch and so the son kept it.
    Him not being much of a Speedy guy either the watch got put back into the box after being worn once and spent the last ten years in the back of the closet.

Now my friend stumbled upon the watch again and would like to part with it.

What would you consider a fair and attainable price? The watch obviously is in pristine condition apart from a few hairline scratches on the clap. It comes with the full package incl. original receipt as shown below. One thing that astonished me was the poor quality of the box... The black coating is basically dissolving (as can be seen on the close up picture).
    The watch is located in Switzerland.

Thanks for your advice and have a nice weekend!
    Nicolas

IMG_20180406_181431.jpg

IMG_20180406_181439.jpg

IMG_20180406_181537.jpg

2. thatonewatchdude Apr 6, 2018

I would highly recommend to check "sold" listings for this ref on ebay, so you may get a good understanding of what the market value is on this piece.

3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 6, 2018

Welcome. It's nice of you to do the research for your friend, as it would not have taken him much to look around himself. Plenty of these seemed to be for sale 2-3 years ago, but not so much lately. Steer your friend to speedmaster101.com, as the site contains info on some of the speedy models that were produced in more limited numbers.

I hope your friend buys you a case of beer or a bottle of good liquor for helping him figure out what the watch could be worth.

And tell him if he joins here and reaches the 200 post mark he can then list it for sale on this site.

kilofinal and Mtek like this.
  4. Nicolas Apr 7, 2018

Thanks to you two!

I am very much a watch enthusiast myself and have been reading here and reading/participating on different other forums for 10 years now. So I like doing things like this and that's why I offered him to check it out. His initial question was whether I would personally be interested in buying the watch; he's known for selling at very attractive prices as long as it means little effort for him. But since I already own three Speedys (modern plexi, ST and 1998 Apollo XV mission patch) and have the new GMT II planned for this year I am not sure whether it makes much sense. On the other hand I'm sure there are worse investments if the price is right.

But either way, I need to more or less know the current market price and my own initial search didn't turn up many useful results.

On chrono24 I did find some on offer but by dealers for "dealer prices". Same goes for current ebay listings (cheapest one just below € 4000). Also I did not find any recent sales on ebay. On speedmaster101.com I did unfortunately not find any info for this reference

Would you assume that the prices achieved for example on this site a few years ago are still realistic? Or asked differently what would you expect the premium to be versus a normal Speedmaster in this condition from 2008?

Thanks!
    Nicolas

5. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 7, 2018

It’s a nice LE but not massively more valuable than a std 3570 IMO, there were nearly 6000 made so not particularly rare. I suppose there could be a premium of €500-1000 over a std Moonwatch. The problem is, assuming that watch has never been serviced it needs one now after 10 years so a big chunk of that premium will be swallowed up by this. As such I would price it a few hundred above a healthy serviced 3570. It’s not old enough to appeal to the tritium fans and not special enough to get the big premium the Gemini IV and Snoopy get and most collectors prefer Hesalite crystals.

Edited Apr 7, 2018
  6. Linzer Apr 7, 2018

7. Vintagewtchzilla Apr 7, 2018

it's either NOS or NOT

there is also no "a little pregnant"

Edited Apr 7, 2018
    rohnin, Toishome, adi4 and 1 other person like this.
  8. kippyk Apr 8, 2018

IMO, watch value is $3800 on low side and $5000 on high side depending on how badly someone wants it on a given day. Great looking sapphire model with a tiny bit of extra flair to make it more interesting over a standard model.

9. larryganz The cable guy Apr 8, 2018

I like to see you buy it, but the watch will need a service right away, with no idea what a service costs on your side of the pond.

Here in the states we'd hope to pay $3500-4000 for one that needs a service, and $5K on the high side if recently serviced. On eBay they're currently asking $5000-$5200 but things are often overpriced there. One sold in Jan 2018 for best offer with a price listed as $3800, and another sold 3 days later for best offer with a listed price of $4993 (3545GBP).

In my experience, a non LE unserviced Speedy is going for as low as $3000 used. I know with VAT these things cost more, so maybe add 20% to that. and this would be about $500-1000 more.

10. rohnin Apr 9, 2018

Worn once and I agree, it no longer can be called NOS

11. Nicolas Apr 9, 2018

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!

Thanks to all for taking the time to respond and your thoughts on the price!

It's a really nice piece and it's slowly starting to grow on me...

And sorry for the Near NOS.

12. teojjsg Apr 9, 2018

Is the limited edition box wrong? I thought it came in a bigger box?