Forums Latest Members
  1. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Apr 20, 2015

I read someone's comment last week saying that wearing a Speedy (or really, any watch) on a nylon NATO was damaging to the caseback and would wear down any engravings (such as a seamonster) over time. Is that true or can anyone confirm that being the case? That was the first time I'd heard that word of caution in relation to NATOs.

2. lenny Apr 20, 2015

It's true, it can happen. You would need to wear it a long time and not clean between the caseback and strap.

3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 20, 2015

I read of it happening, I've never seen an example though. If someone has one would love to see the pics

4. lenny Apr 20, 2015

5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 20, 2015

Interesting. Seems very minor though and on reading through seems like it's not so much the strap as particles trapped on it.

Never had an issue with mine, but u do wear on rotation and switch straps very often

6. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Apr 20, 2015

Just pop on a vinyl caseback protector :thumbsup:

7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 20, 2015

I just can't really enjoy the watch with all the stickers or protectors...I feel like I'm on one of those houses where people leave plastic covers over their furniture, or inside the cars.

I do respect people cherishing their watches so no offense, but I feel a little like ...I don't know.

When I read all these posts of small dents or nicks on speeds and and diver watches I imagine this scenario.

- "Houston, we have a problem....I was trying to measure the burst time with my speedy and I realized there is a small mark on the bezel. I know it's a small thing but it drives me nuts and I can't live with it so I'm giving up on this whole mission."

or Sir Edmund Hillary

- I was almost at the top of Everest but I realized i scratched the case of my brand new Explorer and decided I just could't wear it like that. So we turned around to look for a service center in Nepal...turns out we have to go all the way to India- #verysadnews #Ilovemywatch

Giff2577, nlogax, noelekal and 6 others like this.
  8. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Apr 20, 2015

With you 100% :thumbsup:

nlogax and toddmp like this.
  9. Mathlar Apr 20, 2015

Same here!

image.jpg

10. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Apr 20, 2015

Thanks for weighing in, guys. I didn't think it was that big of a deal, but with nice seamonsters on the back of my Speedies, I'd hate to wear it on a NATO for a while and then realize I'd done irreparable harm to the caseback. Given that I baby them, however, I doubt it'll be a problem. If they can handle a trip to the moon, they can probably handle some desk diving (flying?) / beer drinking on a nylon strap every once in a while.

11. CdnWatchDoc Apr 20, 2015

I wonder if leather NATOs would be any better or worse...I have a couple of very nice supple leather straps that would nicely buff up the caseback if worn long and hard. Any experience from others??
    And a very nice piece there Mathlar!

12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 20, 2015

Well, your skin is leather so...

Giff2577 likes this.
  13. alfanator Apr 20, 2015

Just wear it and enjoy your watch. I think that the extra security of a NATO strap, out weighs the hassle of having to clean it off from time to time. And they get a little ripe smelling if not cleaned from time to time...

Some purists might squirm on the marks my wet suit left on the side of my vintage sub after diving with it. It brings a smile when i see it, reminding me of the dives it accompanied me on, and that it did what it was designed to do.

Darlinboy likes this.
  14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 20, 2015

no, a "purist" would just see those marks as appropriate for a sub. Perhaps if they where diving marks on a Cartier Tank, but a Sub? I say well worn, well done!!

nlogax and AAAKK like this.