Forums Latest Members

NATO strap with Planet Ocean - Do I need different spring bars?

1. IBJanky Jan 11, 2016

Hi guys, new member here.

I have an Omega PO 2500 on a bracelet, and I wanted put it on a NATO strap just to switch things up a bit.

Can I use the same spring bars that are on there now, or do I need to get different spring bars that are made for Omega straps?

I've changed other watches to NATO straps before, and I've always used that same spring bars without any issues, but I read some threads online where people have said that there are specific spring bars needed if I wanted to change out to a strap instead of a bracelet.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. nurseford25 Jan 12, 2016

No change necessary. My friends 2500 45mm on a nato.
    image.jpeg
    My 42mm 8500 on nato
    image.jpeg

Get a pile of different nato straps and go nuts.

3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 12, 2016

No change needed. I wear mine on Nato all the time. Sometimes Nato can bend a springbar so I would get some 20mm thick springbars for security. But straight ones.

4. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jan 12, 2016

The original springbars work well enough for me.

IMG_0397_mods.jpg

blubarb and al128 like this.
  5. yinzerniner Jan 12, 2016

I think in some cases (the newer Speedy Pros for sure) Omega supplies shorter springbars for bracelets as opposed to straps. The new Speedy Pro comes with 19mm springbars for the bracelet and 20mm for use with the Nato strap.
    Also, sometimes Omega suggests using curved springbars with either the new Coated Nylon or Barenia Leather nato. This is because 1)they are significantly thicker than regular nylon Natos and the curved springbars offer a little more clearance between the case and the springbar to fit the strap thickness in between, and 2) the Coated Nylon and Barenia Leather are offered in exact sizings while the regular nylon natos only come in two sizes (20 & 22). When mounted on odd-number lugs (19 & 21mm) you're supposed to use the curved springbars so the effective width is a little shorter to account for the 1mm size difference.
    Since yours is an older 2500 model I believe the springbars that came with the bracelet are either 20mm (42mm case) or 22mm (45.5mm XL) and should work fine if you just want to use a regular nylon nato.

6. IBJanky Jan 12, 2016

Just to change things up a bit, I decided to put one of my PO watches on a NATO strap today, since both were on bracelets. On the left is a regular PO (42mm), and on the right is my PO GMT (43.5mm):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The regular factory spring bars that were on the bracelet seem to work just fine. The NATO strap gives it a completely different look, I'm really diggin' it :cool:

Thanks for the advice!

Edited Jan 12, 2016
    Lovewatches2 and Longbow like this.
  7. Arnold C Aug 14, 2016

The NATO [strap] will put pressure during a pull or lateral stress force at the edges because of it's torsional flex. This may pull out a spring-bar by collapsing it. Also, lateral motion (back and forth) from a NATO will also collapse the spring-bar. These forces are not there with a solid bracelet.

Original NATO equipped watches were built with solid welded-in-place bars and so these forces were not a concern.

source: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=376968

** That's why Omega strap providing a pair of curved-spring-bar. Smart!

blubarb likes this.
  8. kurtj29 Aug 14, 2016

The whole idea of a NATO strap is that if one spring bar fails you do not lose the watch so why worry?

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 14, 2016

Him I thought the curved springbars was due to making the straps in slightly off sizes to cover the weird sizes and normal sizes.

10. Baz9614 Aug 14, 2016

Not at all! ;)
    image.jpg

Blcklab666 and kurtj29 like this.
  11. Wald Jul 25, 2018

That looks really cool nice work.
    I’m just wondering did you change from bracelet to NATO yourself at home or did you take it to an AD/OB??