Forums Latest Members
  1. kronophile Dec 28, 2015

Any particular preference in regards to NATO straps? One piece? Two piece? Any brand excel in quality? It seems as though quite a few collectors have opted to mount either their vintage Speedmaster Professionals or Seamasters on NATO straps in recent times & in light of the new marketing campaign for the new Bond film it seems as though they are the strap of choice@the moment.

2. obstando Dec 29, 2015

A NATO strap by definition is one piece (designed for use on watches with fixed bars) - you may be able to buy a two piece strap that looks like a NATO but it is just a nylon two piece strap and quite a different thing.

3. Cal_321 Dec 29, 2015

Real NATOs are looking good. I like more the Khaki-colored ones. It's a matter of your taste...

Authentic would be the real velcro but it's unwearable in my opinion.

PatrickJ likes this.
  4. duc Dec 29, 2015

I've been asking everyone in the business I can about straps that come close to the quality of the Omega NATO. No one knows of anything close.

Maratac comes up often as a high end. In my opinion they are fine, but to get the best cloth, you have to accept the clumsy looking hardware.

For my nice watches, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and acquire Omega straps.

There is a good explanation of the various options here: http://www.crownandbuckle.com/nato-types

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  5. M'Bob Dec 29, 2015

If you're undecided, try one of the less-expensive ones. If you know you want one, and don't care about the money, go with an authentic Omega.

6. Dash1 Dec 30, 2015

One word of warning - if you're going to use a nato then you must also fit a case back sticker to your watch as they leave an indelible mark on the case back after a few months use.

Buckeyes#1 likes this.
  7. duc Dec 30, 2015

I agree. I've done a quick search for adhesive protective tape and not much s available. Do you have a recommended supply for stickers made specifically for this purpose?

8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 30, 2015

There were a bunch on eBay.

9. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 30, 2015

As far as brands are concerned, Maratac make great ones as noted, and Phoenix makes great ones as well, although I was surprised at how quickly the holes started to fray/wear. As far as buying on ebay, Clockwork Synergy offers high quality straps, has a ton of color options, and has great customer service. Gnomon out of HK offers very nice straps as well.

I have not seen an Omega NATO, and cannot comment whether they are worth the 10-15x cost difference from your stand NATO style strap. The straps are basic, and it all comes down to the tightness of the weave of the nylon, whether they are fused, stitched, or both, and the length.

Edited Dec 30, 2015
  10. tcsasser Dec 31, 2015

I've an Omega OEM NATO and a handful of other natos from the Nato Strap Co. The differences in the OEM vs generic are definitely noticeable. OEM = thinner, softer fibers in a denser weave with higher quality branded hardware. In a side by side comparison the OEM is softer, more pliable and objectively of better quality. That said, the law of diminishing returns also applies here and once it's on your wrist for an hour or two you hardly notice the difference regardless of what Nato strap you might have mounted.

Would also like to add that I've never had any issues with the Nato straps I've purchased from Nato Strap Co. They're not the cheapest, but they have a good selection and also offer discounts if you purchase multiple straps.