Forums Latest Members
  1. mzinski Feb 13, 2021

I wanted to express my total surprise about my recent, apparent trademark infringement. eBay notified me that one of my listings was removed due to trademark infringement:

“NATO ® is a licensed, registered trademark of International Watchman, Inc”

I have to say I’m shocked! I cannot believe the word NATO is trademarked. I suppose I’ll have to relist as “nato-style”.

Dogmann and Foo2rama like this.
  2. redpcar Feb 13, 2021

Heavily discussed here. :coffee:

Farmer, Dogmann, Foo2rama and 4 others like this.
  3. mzinski Feb 13, 2021

I’ll search it. First time I’ve become aware of it - don’t know what you don’t know. Who would’ve thought...

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 13, 2021

I have been taking the piss out of NATO man for a while as seen in this post here

and here is a good link about it

https://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?82014-F***-International-Watchman

And it’s only the US so being a Australian website you can say NATO as much as you want here.....

5. kov Trüffelschwein. Feb 13, 2021

NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO NATO

upload_2021-2-14_5-12-55.gif

Dogmann, Lou P, rob#1 and 13 others like this.
  6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 13, 2021

Yes

Dogmann and mzinski like this.
  7. JwRosenthal Feb 13, 2021

That took commitment! I can only get SNORKEL out about a dozen times before my fingers hurt.

Oh- and I think I should trademark SNORKEL.

Dogmann, DaveK, apsm100 and 2 others like this.
  8. mzinski Feb 13, 2021

Dogmann, cvalue13 and kov like this.
  9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 14, 2021

I’m sure those legal challenges would ultimately work if several sellers were to band together against him or if anyone of them has the wherewithal to fight to the end of the process.

but as discussed in the long MWR threads, he is smart and isn’t taking on or threatening Chanel or Omega who are also using the word.

What’s important to note though is that he only took a trademark covering the US.

Eddie Platts, the owner of Timefactors and of the forum TZ-UK is the owner of the trademark in Europe.
    sellers in Europe can use it.

Mark020 and kov like this.
  10. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Feb 14, 2021

::popcorn::

11. ipreferjester Feb 21, 2021

This is as stupid as and akin to Subway's (failed) attempt at trademarking "footlong". Smh. ::facepalm1::

12. SkunkPrince Feb 21, 2021

Call it what it is, a G10 strap. More accurate than "NATO" anyways.

13. mzinski Feb 21, 2021

Oh, but he ALSO has G10 TM’d.
    :mad:

cvalue13 likes this.
  14. SkunkPrince Feb 21, 2021

OK, that's just evil.

I'm surprised UPSTO let him get away with it.

kkt likes this.
  15. 8100_RPM Feb 21, 2021

Ironically, Subway was sued for the “footlong” sandwiches actually being short of a foot. Subway settled cheaply but probably would have won the case.

16. sgrenald Feb 21, 2021

I think the way the USPTO works for this stuff is they do some "light investigation" which is mostly checking the existing registrations and (today, anyway) some google searches. In the old days it was probably Lexis/Nexis. If they don't find much of anything, they grant the TM. The idea being that if they miss something because it's too obscure, a lawsuit will bring that out.
    That's my guess, anyway. Because if you think NATO is bad, you should read this one:

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4803:a5o2m2.5.7

17. TDBK Feb 21, 2021

18. sgrenald Feb 21, 2021

S.H. and TDBK like this.
  19. mzinski Feb 21, 2021

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 21, 2021

Well... notice that he is not suing people that can crush him on a lawsuit over the name.

he only attacks small people.