Forums Latest Members

NASA History: Apollo 11 Great Leap tour

1. pdxleaf ... Jul 26, 2020

This is an interesting interview with a woman who was on the NASA support team during the worldwide tour that followed the Apollo 11 landing.

https://history.nasa.gov/SP-4223/ch10.htm

There are several personal antidotes that give an insight into the astronauts lives. They certainly had grace under pressure.

Here are a few more pictures from the Yugoslavia stop that she mentions in the interview.

20200726_111425.jpg 20200726_111347.jpg 20200726_111313.jpg 20200726_111242.jpg

Michael Collins mentioned the Yugoslavia trip in his eulogy for Neil Armstrong. He wrote:

"Neil was smart as hell- and an encyclopedia of knowledge of things far beyond air and space. He trotted out tidbits on occasion. After the flight of Apollo 11, we went on a world tour. One evening we found ourselves in Yugoslavia at a formal dinner hosted by Marshall Tito and his wife, Madame Broz. The small talk got smaller and smaller, with Madame doing a fine imitation of an Easter Island monolith: frozen, starring straight ahead. Neil bent over and started talking quietly to her, and when I strained to listen, I was astounded that he was talking about Nikola Tesla, the early electric genius and competitor of thomas Edison. Had Neil lost his mind? No, Madame Broz lit up like a thousand-watt bulb, and from then on we were all buddies, including even the taciturn Tito. Later I asked Neil about his choice of topic. 'Oh,' he replied offhandedly, 'she is related to Tesla.' "

RIP Neil Armstrong

eugeneandresson and Omegafanman like this.
  2. Omegafanman Jul 26, 2020

Mathew 7:7–8

Nice info / pictures :0)

Buzz.jpg
    pdxleaf likes this.
  3. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 26, 2020

The more I learn about Neil Armstrong, the more I like him. Very worthwhile watching ‘Armstrong’ incase you haven’t...

pdxleaf and Omegafanman like this.