Forums Latest Members

Nice little 145.012 for sale with a little NASA history....

1. TLIGuy Jun 3, 2014

2. JohnSteed Jun 3, 2014

did I see usd 40 to 60 (thousand) estimated price ??

3. TLIGuy Jun 3, 2014

Your eyes are reading it correctly.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 3, 2014

At the Speedy Tuesday event in Amsterdam last year Jim Ragan, the NASA engineer responsible for the Speedmaster selection made the following very clear: NASA watches are government property and remain as such, all of them, no exceptions. The NASA watches were kept under tight control by serial number and he made them give them all back when they were done with them. Any that are missing are still property of NASA.

JohnSteed, ron n and SpikiSpikester like this.
  5. TLIGuy Jun 3, 2014

This is a true statement. In my conversation a few months ago with the Curator of Astronaut Personal Equipment at the NASM all of the issued flown Speedmasters have been accounted for with the exception of the lost Aldrin watch. All the flown watches are owned and in the physical possession of the NASM in DC or accounted for at various museums they are on loan to for display. She said even to this day the astronauts have a strong affinity for their issued Speedmasters. She also said all of the flown issued Speedmasters were inspected and photographed last November (2013) as they were being inventoried for the move to the Udvar-Hazy facility. Once this move is done she will work on getting the new images and catalog online. When I asked about the NASA list we are all familiar with she said it was woefully out of date and had incorrect information.

The NASA list has issued Speedmasters up to #82. From what I understand is that the non flown Speedmaster were removed from inventory and were authorized to be given as gifts in the 80's to VIP's or dignitaries. The one for sale is #87 which puts it after the issued ones and is being put up by the owner that may have been lucky enough to receive one.

I'll drop her a note and ask if she has any additional information on the disposal of the non issued/flown watches.

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 3, 2014

Considering this may be as close as you are ever going to get to owning a NASA issued watch (legally) then that estimate is on the low side - wouldn't be surprised at all if the watch sells for over $100k.

speedy4ever likes this.
  7. Northernman Lemaniac Jun 3, 2014

Is it not so that Ed White´s family was given his Speedmaster after his fatal accident on January 27, 1967? Or is this just an urban legend?
    That would count for one being legally out in the free?!

8. TLIGuy Jun 3, 2014

Not an urban legend The Speedmaster that White wore on Gemini 4 was the same watch he wore on Apollo 1 and was given to the family after his death. I believe it was later auctioned of by the family in 1999.

Darlinboy and Northernman like this.
  9. ginobi Jun 3, 2014

Ed White's Speedmaster was not the only auctioned (in 1999), also Donn Eisele's Speedmaster NASA #38 was auctioned by Sotheby's in June 2007

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ciao, Gino

JohnSteed, TLIGuy and Northernman like this.
  10. Northernman Lemaniac Jun 3, 2014

So a person with very deep pockets and a persistent attitude may also be the owner of both a flown 105.003 and a 105.012 without being granted a place on FBIs most wanted list? I wish!!!!::love::

11. watchtinker Jun 3, 2014

Hi Gino, that's new to me. Thank you for the information. :thumbsup:

12. TLIGuy Jun 3, 2014

It will be interesting to see an updated inventory list from the NASM. I've always found this one interesting since #38 is not on the list and Eisele's is listed as #34. I remember seeing a good discussion about this and will have to track it down. I can't recall how they squared the discrepancy.

Here is a link to the recent Jack Swigert auction. I guess if you can't afford this Speedmaster you can always settle for the next Velcro strap that comes up for auction.

http://natedsanders.com/apollo_13_flown_instrument_cover___velcro_strap_fr-lot29263.aspx

JohnSteed likes this.
  13. ginobi Jun 3, 2014

Yes... it will be very interesting to see an updated inventory list from the NASM .

All the informations here http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/omega.html are from the Curator of Astronaut Personal Equipment at the NASM on December 2003 but all of them are related to the previous inventory made on 1977 !

Ciao, Gino

14. ginobi Jun 3, 2014

Hi watchtinker , nice to se you here :)

+G

15. Dash1 Jun 4, 2014

Is there any provenance with this watch at all? None is mentioned in the sale. You would want some sound evidence that this is not just an engraved watch.