My wife does'nt want to wear her speedmaster anymore...

Right... My wife (actually my girlfriend, but we've been in a relationship for 21 years, we have two pubescent kids, a impossible dog that does'nt listen, a suffocating mortgage and a Volvo with space for the dog so I can call her my wife) no longer feels comfortable with the speedmaster. In her work she often comes into contact with people who are less fortunate in this world and therefore does not think it is appropriate to wear an expensive watch. That in itself is to be commended. But that also brings a dilemma. Namely a new watch. My watches are either too small, too big, too fragile, too expensive, without a metal strap, etc. She would like a bit of a cool watch with a metal strap of up to EUR 1,000. It should also be fairly large. Around 39/40mm. A chronograph would be nice. She also had a vintage yema diver and a baltic diver but they are out of favor again. I was once about to buy her a rolex but then I was laughed at.
I think a new and automatic watch would suit her. I really like the Seiko Presage line. I then look a bit at the watch below. But maybe there are other options out there. I'd love to hear them!!

So:

1. A sports watch with steel strap;
2. Around 39/40mm;
3. Chronograph would be nice but not necessary;
4. Under 1k euro; and
5. Automatic.
Edited:

Like 6
Like 9
Those Nivada reeditions are really fun. I got a teal 35mm one a few months ago, unfortunately most of my watches are locked up in a safe due to a house move.
But I can relate to the issue of not wearing expensive watches in the workplace. I’m currently wearing the tiny one below.

Like 6
$75 USD, 38.5mm. Ok, not an automatic but does it really matter? She could bang it up as much as she wants and not feel guilty.

image.png

Like 2
Zodiac Sea Wolf 53- 39mm but 47mm lug to lug as it seems.

Like 4
Mido big date. Just released this week.
IMG_0084.jpeg
Comes in blue or green. The green is nicer.

Like 2
Is that her wrist in the initial post? I actually really like how that watch fits, and it looks pretty cool.
since you like it, might as well go for it!

I like this kind of search. To add to the above, here are a few I found wich I believe match your specs (sports / not always chrono):

- Mido Ocean Start Tribute :
Capture d’écran 2023-08-30 à 21.17.02.png
- Seiko Prospex
Capture d’écran 2023-08-30 à 21.21.26.png
- Seiko SRPK17
Capture d’écran 2023-08-30 à 21.24.56.png
- Certina DS-2
Capture d’écran 2023-08-30 à 21.32.24.png
- Tissot Gentleman
Capture d’écran 2023-08-30 à 21.46.30.png
- A new Glycine Airman
Capture d’écran 2023-08-30 à 21.48.57.png
- Some vintage options on C24 could worth a look :
Capture d’écran 2023-08-30 à 21.29.32.png

- Pre-owned recent Zodiac Sea Wolf
Capture d’écran 2023-08-30 à 21.34.52.png

I should stop here :)

Hope you will find something that suits her tastes !

Like 2
Oops- forgot those Certina DS Action divers.
the green one is 38mm- I like the color.
I also really like the Explorer look on the second one but it’s only 34,5mm. Quite sporty though.
Last one intriguing titanium variant, 38mm

Like 2
Lots of good suggestions here. Alternatively, you could be completely irresponsible by ending the relationship, denying that the kids are yours, renting, getting a cat, trading in the Volvo for a BMW M3, and shacking up with a 20 year old model who rocks a Speedmaster. You’d be an utter cad, of course, but this Speedmaster business is serious stuff. :D

Like 11
Lots of good suggestions here. Alternatively, you could be completely irresponsible by ending the relationship, denying that the kids are yours, renting, getting a cat, trading in the Volvo for a BMW M3, and shacking up with a 20 year old model who rocks a Speedmaster. You’d be an utter cad, of course, but this Speedmaster business is serious stuff. :D

upload_2023-8-30_22-20-47.jpeg

Like 5
She keeps the Speedy for weekend and wears this on steel for work?…

upload_2023-8-30_22-24-12.jpeg

Like 6
I’m sorry, but all of the recommendations above are wrong :) the only correct answer to your dilemma is: Tissot PRX either 35mm or 40mm.

Like 5
Hav
Right... My wife (actually my girlfriend, but we've been in a relationship for 21 years, we have two pubescent kids, a impossible dog that does'nt listen, a suffocating mortgage and a Volvo with space for the dog so I can call her my wife) no longer feels comfortable with the speedmaster. She often comes into contact with people who are less fortunate in her work and therefore does not think it is appropriate to wear an expensive watch. That in itself is to be commended. But that also brings a dilemma. Namely a new watch. My watches are either too small, too big, too fragile, too expensive, without a metal strap, etc. She would like a bit of a cool watch with a metal strap of up to EUR 1,000. It should also be fairly large. Around 39/40mm. A chronograph would be nice. She also had a vintage yema diver and a baltic diver but they are out of favor again. I was once about to buy her a rolex but then I was laughed at.
I think a new and automatic watch would suit her. I really like the Seiko Presage line. I then look a bit at the watch below. But maybe there are other options out there. I'd love to hear them!!

So:

1. A sports watch with steel strap;
2. Around 39/40mm;
3. Chronograph would be nice but not necessary;
4. Under 1k euro; and
5. Automatic.

Btw: If you need to sell that unloved, dreaded Speedmaster , let me know.

Like 3
That's it! Thnx!

Like 1