My watchmaker told me I don't need to test for water resistance

Hello Omega Forums,

My question today is about testing water resistance on a used watch. I bought this first generation Aqua Terra 2504.50 from a private seller on a forum and it just arrived. I'm really happy with it! There are some scratches and dings but considering this watch is 14-20 years old it looks great! The seller did not provide any service history and it is running about 20 seconds slow per day. This is my first watch with a screw down crown and over 30m water resistance so I'm new to this, but I've read some people online say you have to have the water resistance checked quite frequently, some saying every single year.

I went my local watch repair shop to fix a dislodged hour index from another watch (a similar year De Ville Prestige). I ask him about testing the water resistance on my Aqua Terra. He says "Is there something wrong with it?" I say no but explain how it can be 20 years old and I'll be going on a cruise in February and want it tested. He mentions he can do this but he would have to hold onto the watch for a couple days. He inspects the watch in his hands, he sees the screw down crown is operating correctly, he looks all around including the display back and says "As long as the gaskets and the crown are OK the watch should be fine. Don't spend the money to have it tested". I ask "Can I swim in it?" and he says yes.

So I come here to you fine and knowledgeable folks for your opinion. He could have charged me money to test my watch but he didn't. I am no watch maker so I'm wondering if it is even possible for him to see the gaskets without opening the watch. Could he be right? Should I insist he test it? Should I take it to another watch repair shop to test it? Is it OK if I wash the watch in soap and running water for now? Swim with it?

Thank you for reading!

It would have been nice for him to run a dry test, but I can understand that he is too busy to do it while you wait. If you are concerned, why didn't you leave the watch with him?

It's quite possible that the seals are fine and you can dive with it.

It's also possible that the seals are time expired and may even be damaged.

If you don't have valid evidence of seal replacement in the last twelve months, either stay away from water or get it tested.

That seems crazy. I would never put a watch in water without firsthand knowledge of its ability to withstand it. Your watchmaker sounds very careless to advise you to do such a thing.

Your greater concern might be that the watch is not the time keeper I would expect it to be. Twenty seconds slow per day means it needs to be serviced. As part of servicing it, have all seals replaced, and water tested.

Your greater concern might be that the watch is not the time keeper I would expect it to be. Twenty seconds slow per day means it needs to be serviced. As part of servicing it, have all seals replaced, and water tested.

Yes I think you're right. I was thinking of biting the bullet and sending it to Omega to service but I've read here that could take 8 weeks and I'd like to wear this watch on a cruise in mid February. So in the meantime I was thinking a water resistance test would be sufficient. Thank you and everyone else for your replies.

My advice. Find another watchmaker. Yes, you should expect to pay a nominal fee for the test and the watchmaker may need to keep the watch for several days and work this in with the watches he already has. But to say that it’s fine with no test or inspection is, frankly, criminal. At least unethical, in my opinion. He appears to not want to be bothered with such tasks, but doesn’t want to say so.

And as others have said, at 20 seconds per day, it needs a full service. But because your current watchmaker thinks if the crown screws down it is perfectly water resistant, I’d have it serviced elsewhere.

Yes I think you're right. I was thinking of biting the bullet and sending it to Omega to service but I've read here that could take 8 weeks and I'd like to wear this watch on a cruise in mid February. So in the meantime I was thinking a water resistance test would be sufficient. Thank you and everyone else for your replies.

Lots of options out there besides Factory Omega on a decade + old watch... ask around (here too) and you may just come across a watchmaker local to you that you weren't previously aware of who may become your fella of choice.

His advice is counter to all advice I’ve ever heard on this subject. Time to find a new watchmaker

Omega recommends to test water resistance every year in the authorised service center.

I am no watch maker so I'm wondering if it is even possible for him to see the gaskets without opening the watch.

No, it's not possible for him to determine the condition of the seals with the inspection you described.

Could he be right?

Sure, he could be right, but if he is it's just a guess, and not based on any evidence.

Should I insist he test it? Should I take it to another watch repair shop to test it?

You should do one of those two. Based on his need to keep the watch for days, I would find someone else. A dry pressure test can be done in a few minutes while you wait, so him needing to keep it for days is strange.

Is it OK if I wash the watch in soap and running water for now?

No.

Swim with it?

No.

No, it's not possible for him to determine the condition of the seals with the inspection you described.

Sure, he could be right, but if he is it's just a guess, and not based on any evidence.

You should do one of those two. Based on his need to keep the watch for days, I would find someone else. A dry pressure test can be done in a few minutes while you wait, so him needing to keep it for days is strange.

No.

No.

That about sums up the situation rather nicely.
Certainly it's time to find some other watchmaker:thumbsdown:

I have a trained Omega watchmaker I take my items to

He inspected my 5 yr old Seamaster… stated after measuring and investigating the movement, I could do the service next year as it’s fine also to do now.

He could have charged me and done the service, wasn’t backlogged enough to even hold on to the watch. He regulated it while I wait… and it’s been great for a month, no need to send it to Omega service center.

He did test it to 300m and with slight warmth applied to case after, no condensation showed on crystal.

I just had him refurbish the watch and with new sapphire, he also replaced all the gaskets.

I wouldn’t take these watches near water without doing some type of inspection, or replacing the inexpensive gaskets.

PS
My 2017 Seamaster was 5 yrs old, And at -12 per 24hrs….. now it’s on 1 month and is still within a 1/2 second of atomic time, dial up at nite. That’s pretty nice for no full service.

My suggestion is find another watchmaker.
Edited:

Thanks to everybody who commented. I found another watch repair shop 10 minutes farther away. I will take it there to have it tested for water resistance and until then I'll keep it away from water. This new place seems like they could service and refinish my watch too and now my next step is to think about if I want them to do that or if I should send it to Omega. But that's outside the scope of this thread. Thanks again everyone!

An independent shop that does good work and is Omega authorized is Nebit's in Seattle. They've done two for me so far, and if there is a reason my local guy can't do it, they certainly will.

Thanks to everybody who commented. I found another watch repair shop 10 minutes farther away. I will take it there to have it tested for water resistance and until then I'll keep it away from water. This new place seems like they could service and refinish my watch too and now my next step is to think about if I want them to do that or if I should send it to Omega. But that's outside the scope of this thread. Thanks again everyone!

Before you hand it to them for servicing, ask if they have the training, specific tools, and access to parts required from Omega to service a co-axial watch. If they are not Omega certified, find someone who is, or take it to Omega.

Before you hand it to them for servicing, ask if they have the training, specific tools, and access to parts required from Omega to service a co-axial watch. If they are not Omega certified, find someone who is, or take it to Omega.
Yes absolutely on this
Otherwise, dmg can happen.

Also keep in mind … It may have been serviced in last few years and only Need a regulation. Only an Omega watchmaker could measure and inspect it to warrant that need for a service of the movement.
I thought I “Needed” a service at 5 years.., and did not.