Forums Latest Members
  1. GlenM Jan 24, 2016

I've learned a massive amount since I have been a member of this forum. I don't post much, mainly as I don't feel qualified to answer most of the questions.
    So, to make amends for my lack of posts, I thought I would explain my introduction into collecting, and show my (so far) modest collection.

My first 'proper' watch was this 18K manual wind Baume & Mercier. I bought this 15 years ago, back in the days when you had to buy from shops rather than internet forums! It is very much a dress watch, and is small by today's standards. This one served me well, and was my only watch for some years
    IMG_9251_EC.jpg

A few years or so later, and this Paul Buhre was passed down through my wife's side of the family. Not an 'uncle' watch, but a 'great grandfather' watch. It was presented to him for 25 years service - we are not totally sure of the year (more research is needed - anyone know how to date a Paul Buhre?)
    IMG_9255_EC.jpg

I then received this Hermes Arceau as a gift, around 5 years ago. It is (and I'll say this quietly) a quartz movement. But, I like the look of it, and the leather strap is amazing quality. Of all my watches, this one is the only one that gets borrowed by my wife
    IMG_9254_EC.jpg

I spent a while thinking about getting an Omega. After becoming disillusioned with the standard of watches on Ebay (even to my uneducated eye, I could guess that Omega never made the lurid coloured examples on sale in certain countries), I joined Omega Forums.
    After research, last year I bought an Omega Seamaster 600. The watch was in the original box, with a receipt from Garrards of London dated 4 days after my birth date.
    IMG_9256_EC.jpg

Shortly afterwards, the 'private sales' section of the forum started beckoning to me...
    I spotted a nice black dial (with light speckled patina), 1954 Omega in lovely condition and so another watch was added to the collection.
    IMG_9257_EC.jpg

Telling myself that I had enough watches lasted a few weeks. Until this Tevo Chronographe Suisse caught my attention
    IMG_9258_EC.jpg

I had never really been a fan of watches with bezels. Then, my son bought a lovely example of a Seamaster 120 (you may have a photo of this posted a while ago). Not wanting to duplicate collection effort (as we often share watches with each other), I started thinking about a Speedmaster. I decided to look for a birth year one, and settled on this 145-022 with a 220 bezel. After some stress with it not working on receipt, it has now been repaired and fully serviced and is back on my wrist
    IMG_9259_EC.jpg

So, in all a slow start to my collecting. But, I like the variety (both of makes and styles). I just need to decide what my next target will be (and resist the temptation until my collecting funds have grown a bit more).
    IMG_9260_EC.jpg

gwzymytk, Ericoh, Fritz and 20 others like this.
  2. M'Bob Jan 24, 2016

Welcome to the addiction :)

GlenM likes this.
  3. tukekebo Jan 24, 2016

Nice collection

GlenM likes this.
  4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 24, 2016

That's a great line up! I love the fonts on the Hermes.

Sounds like a nice journey, so far...

GlenM likes this.
  5. smm1208 Jan 25, 2016

great collection :) now all you need is a Nomos so i can borrow it ;)

sincerely your son

Andreas and GlenM like this.
  6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 25, 2016

All good looking watches. You have a good eye, that and money are all you need :)

GlenM likes this.
  7. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Jan 25, 2016

Very nice. My first "good" watch -- also 15 going on 16 years ago, and similar to yours! 18kt yellow gold In the original wood box. Of course, Baume & Mercier, like Omega, used ETA movements, here the Peseux 7001, gold-plated and decorated with Geneva waves. Very thin profile. Similar to a Patek Calatrava, but a bit more affordable. ;)
    Baume.jpg

GlenM likes this.
  8. Garv no longer a member of the terminally hip Jan 25, 2016

Nice collection.

GlenM likes this.
  9. GlenM Jan 26, 2016

Thanks, now just need to find more money so I can practice the eye :)

Very nice, almost a twin of mine. I've always been impressed by how thin it is - fits very easily under a shirt cuff. Just a shame that it is small by today's fashion, although I still wear it from time to tie with a suit.

I really like the Hermes (just try to ignore the quartz!). Great original design, especially with the different lug design, apparently meant to reflect Hermes equine heritage.

I may have to go 50/50 with you on the Nomos (if I can borrow your Seamaster 120) :) )

George.A and mozartman like this.
  10. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 26, 2016

You have got a nice group there!

Having a family heirloom like your great grandfather's Buhre is particularly special. :)

GlenM likes this.
  11. Kuki Jan 27, 2016

Love the tevo! Nice collection and lovely pictures!

GlenM likes this.
  12. GlenM Jan 28, 2016

I love the Tevo as well.
    It's a Chronographe Suisse, so the 18K gold is about as thick as a sheet of tissue paper, and I understand that they were designed to be a budget watch way back when they were made.
    But, it looks great, and is a very decent 38mm size
    It is very high up on my list of daily wearers :)

13. GlenM Jan 28, 2016

I would love to find out more about the Buhre, especially to see if it can be dated - we are not quite sure when it would have been presented (it is engraved on the back, but not dated)

14. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 28, 2016

If you can show a picture of the movement and inside caseback, perhaps more can be said about that. What size is the case?

GlenM likes this.
  15. GlenM Jan 31, 2016

The case is 24 x 36 (excl crown, inc lugs).
    The case is stamped DS&S, which I understand to be Dennison [Edit, actually it seems to be David Shackman and Sons], and is hallmarked 9ct. But I can't find a corresponding year for the 'O' in a circle.
    Movement is marked Paul Buhre 194. I can't see a serial number, or any other marks. There does not seem to me much info about this movement on the web (that I can find).

From family history, our best guess is that it is from the 1940's. The watch was presented for 25 years service by AC Sphinx, who were manufacturers of spark plugs.

Any info / clues / pointers to where I can find more information would be gratefully received

IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG

Edited Jan 31, 2016
  16. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Jan 31, 2016

For me, today's larger sizes work well for many sport/chronograph models and other modern designs, but not for elegant dress watches with more traditional, simpler designs. Any additional dress watches I choose will likely have to be vintage. Fortunately, there seem to be many available. :)

GlenM likes this.
  17. fibonacci086 Jan 31, 2016

Great collection ! Congratulation !

GlenM likes this.