Forums Latest Members
  1. trackpad Jun 16, 2017

Long story long, when my Great Uncle passed away he left me a few things. One of them was a knife I was later told he removed as a keepsake from the body of a deceased German soldier in the WWII.

True enough he served and saw heavy fire on the campaign into and up through Italy, but given the nature of the item in question – essentially a Cub Scout knife – it seems more likely he picked it up in a poker game or from a confiscated cache.

I've not researched it much yet, but I thought I could just reach out and hear if any fellow OF'ers had experience with the sale of military memorabilia, evaluating condition, good or bad markets to consider, etc.

eBay is of course an obvious option but the idea of selling it to a sympathizer or straight up neo-Nazi makes it a non-starter.

Truth told, I've got mixed feelings about letting it go. It was obviously important to him on some level. Still, for hopefully obvious reasons I can't really connect with it as a familial artifact. And I definitely don't want to leave it for my kids to sort out or puzzle over after I'm gone.

Part of me says this probably belongs in the collection of a responsible person with the right perspective on the historical record of which it is some part.

The other part wants to point the business end down into the soft-sand soil of Northern Denmark and drive it into oblivion with heel of my boot.

2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 16, 2017

Pictures or it didn't happen! ::popcorn::

3. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Jun 16, 2017

Truly a tough decision to make, however I am sure there are many collectors which fit the exact description you have given. I believe some time, research and honest discussion will bring the correct collector to you. Many of our members have acquired historical and sentimental pieces to of other families in a similar way.

And yes, pics are always required :p

trackpad likes this.
  4. Rman Jun 16, 2017

I would head over to bladeforums, the community there is excellent.

trackpad and BlackTalon like this.
  5. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jun 16, 2017

Now we have "My uncle gave me this knife..."

:)

ahartfie and Jwit like this.
  6. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jun 16, 2017

Here's a thought:

Maybe you can connect with a German who lost an uncle in that war and as a token of healing "repatriate" it.

Jwit likes this.
  7. trackpad Jun 16, 2017

Hmmm...yeah, I...love the healing theme! ...but something tells me this wouldn't work out so well. There is also nothing that could feel healing (to anyone I'd want to connect with) in the introduction or appearance of this object.

8. trackpad Jun 16, 2017

Yep. I think you're right.

It also occurred to me to donate it to the Danish Resistance Museum, a place I've visited a few times and have really enjoyed. Not sure if it would have any place in their new location or setup...which I have not yet seen.

As for pics, I can't. But it's a Hitlerjugend knife. Pics are everywhere. If it was a watch crown, we'd describe it as "signed". :unsure:

Jwit likes this.
  9. propervinyl Jun 17, 2017

Perhaps give it to a museum with a caveat that they cannot sell it and take the tax deduction?

trackpad likes this.
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 17, 2017

I think it's important that items like this are preserved to act as a reminder of history, unpleasant though it may be we must never forget it.

If everything gets swept away, so does the truth.

A suitable museum would be the most appropriate place for it.

Rumar89, Trev, ahartfie and 5 others like this.
  11. propervinyl Jun 17, 2017

Perfectly said, Jim.

trackpad likes this.
  12. trackpad Jun 19, 2017

Fairly certain this is what I will end up doing. Feels right!

propervinyl and JimInOz like this.
  13. propervinyl Jun 19, 2017

If you are in the US, PM me and I may be able to help you find a suitable museum.

14. trackpad Sep 19, 2017

Apologies for the somewhat late follow-up. :unsure: But I am going to contact the Danish Resistance Museum (which is the process of being rebuilt after a fire) and see if they have a place for it, only asking that they credit my Uncle Max as the donor. I tried to reach them over the summer but without luck.

Thanks for the offers of advice and otherwise from everyone. You're good people.

propervinyl and Jwit like this.
  15. kippyk Sep 19, 2017

I would keep it and give it to your kids. Great story reminding them that their grandfather had to to go to war and fight and kill Nazis. All kids do now is look at their phones and play video games. Their lives are too soft and cuddled in my opinion. A little dose of harsh reality is a good thing. Your Dad left you a knife taken off a dead Nazi. Your kids will probably leave comic books and Pokeman cards to their kids.