Forums Latest Members
  1. billiout Apr 17, 2024

Hi! Looking for some watchmaking opinions since I'm afraid I messed it up. ::facepalm2::

I just received a watch with a T17 movement. It was running fine until I decided to demagnetize it. I have one of these cheap demagnetizers and whenever I buy a vintage watch I do a pass or two just to make sure that the watch is not magnetized. It was fully wound before I did the pass. Immediately the watch stopped working. If I shake it very gently it starts running again very fast for like a full minute rotation and then the seconds hand stops again at around the same position as before. Shaking gently will repeat the process. I'll take it to a watchmaker when I get a chance to find what's wrong but until then it's gonna bug me.

Do you think this somehow broke something irreversibly in the movement? Thank you for your comments :)

Edited Apr 17, 2024
  2. Canuck Apr 17, 2024

Demagnetizers are very effective at de-magnetizing watches, but they are equally effective at magnetizing them. After presenting the watch to the de-magnetizer, continue to held the ON button down and slowly withdraw the watch straight away for the demagnetizer! Some folks recommend that when the watch is 18 inches to 2 feet away from the de-magnetizer, that you “blip” the ON button off, then on, then off again. Try it and see what happens.

3. billiout Apr 17, 2024

Thank you! After a few multiple passes trying your suggested way to de-magnetize the watch finally did the trick. Now it's running normally again. I never had a watch stopping before when using the de-magnetizer so I kinda freaked out that I broke something. Thanks again :)

Canuck likes this.
  4. Canuck Apr 17, 2024

You’re welcome!

billiout likes this.