Forums Latest Members

My speedy story (pictures heavy)

1. profzhu Dec 18, 2015

Finally found the time and motivation to post a story about my speedmaster professional and my new found respect for the watch.

It was February and I was on my way home on my KTM motorcycle with a set of brand new tyres. I always enjoyed my commute to work as it involves riding through a windy hill road (very rare in my country, Singapore). For those that ride bikes I'm sure you'll understand that the joy is all about the turns.

As I was approaching one of the sharper right turns on the road I was going a little too straight so I banked a little more (we drive on the left side so this was an outside turn), but then the back wheel gave way (due to a combination of the lack of grip on the new tyres and the fallen leaves and twigs on the road) and I started to skid towards the barrier. I knew I had to straighten the bike up so I tapped on the brakes to bring it back up and counter steered the turn but that was a mistake and the bike flipped to the other side in a flash and I was not able to control the bike and slammed onto the road on my left side.

Thankfully the road was not too busy and there were no on coming traffic. So I got up, tested my left shoulder, yep broken. And I proceeded to go to the middle of the road to pick up my bike and push it to the side. Then I realised that my speedmaster is missing from my wrist so I started looking for it on the road. After what seemed like forever (partly due to my broken shoulder), I found it in the middle of road. So now come the whole point of this post, the photos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The crystal is smashed, the strap got ripped right off (just look at the buckle), 2 of the sub dial hands were gone (I'm not sure how the main ones stayed on), the dial is scratched up and dented. Amazingly, the case maintained its structure, the watch was still ticking and the chronograph still works. Thanks to the robust design of the case and integrated crown guards, both the crown and pushers were very well protected. From the damage I highly suspect it was ran over by a car (or a few cars).

So I had to get it sent to my watch maker. With specific instructions to change as little parts as possible, no polishing as I wanted to keep it as original as possible. I was amazed by what my watch maker delivered. He replaced a new crystal and new hands, replaced the part of the movement where the hands are attached to (especially the chronograph hour sub dial which had substantial damage), replaced the main spring, that's about it. He removed some of the sharp edges on the case back so it doesn't scratch me when I wear it. But I should have let him do the same for the bezel as it is sharp at certain parts and scratches the sleeves of my shirt. The best part of his repair was that he managed to salvage the damaged dial. As it was dented, he had to knock it back into shape.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After the service, the watch is regulated to run within COSC specs, better than ever. Now I really understand why these watches are sent to space, they are bloody indestructible.

Edited Dec 19, 2015
    Eve, bardamu, Modavader and 14 others like this.
  2. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 18, 2015

Ouch..... But you got a great story out of it!

3. alam Dec 19, 2015

Now you have a battle tested Speedy! How the broken shoulder turned out? Hope you have a Speedy recovery! ;)

::rimshot::

kkt likes this.
  4. bryanmanio Dec 19, 2015

Gotta love the reminder every time you look at it. Remember, rubber side down ;)

blubarb likes this.
  5. Georgieboy58 Dec 19, 2015

Painful way to get the vintage look

kkt, George.A and CanberraOmega like this.
  6. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner Dec 19, 2015

Wow - thats a story! I like your instructions for service - keep the history :thumbsup:

7. abrod520 Dec 19, 2015

I for one think that thing looks pretty cool - a little road rash gives it a lot of character :)

8. profzhu Dec 19, 2015

The watch did take 6 months to come back to me. And it cost more than the fixing of the bike. It's hard to corner again with the same level of confidence on the bike. While waiting for the watch to come back I went and got another omega because I just can't live without a speedy in my collection.

[​IMG]

I guess its a good story but it's not one that girlfriends nor girlfriends' mum would appreciate. My mum definitely didn't =( The shoulder... well they never heal completely.

9. Pahawi Dec 21, 2015

As other says - good story, and best part, you'll recover.

Speedies can take a lot sometimes. The original owner of this 145.012 had it on his wrist, during a Danish Air Force plane crash in the sea back in -69. Of the seven survivors, only he had a working watch, when picked up from the water. According to him, the scares on the Watch (not visible on the pic) and bracelet is from the crash......
    IMG_2236.JPG

Bjærgning%20Catalina%201[1].jpg

Tritium likes this.
  10. Maximus84 Dec 21, 2015

Wow, what a story! Glad you weren't more seriously hurt, and I admire your dedication in sympathetically restoring the watch! It now has a hell of a lot of character! I would've been tempted to do more - at least a new bezel and insert, but bravo!

I hope it remains with you for many years to come!

11. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 21, 2015

Is that a limited edition? Looks like it might be with those numbers engraved on the caseback.

That dial and bezel is nothing special, I would have replaced them, to each his own....

Tom

12. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Dec 21, 2015

Regarding your replacement Speedie, perhaps a racing dial was not the best choice.

13. profzhu Dec 22, 2015

Yep it's a 30th anniversary piece. Full set mint condition even with original price hang tag, bracelet not even worn. A pity it's in this state now. Yes it has a standard dial and bezel but what I wanted was to keep it as original as possible, as painful reminder to relax a little at the corners next time.

I was considering a few watches and the top on my list are the 105.12 and 145.12 but I rather buy a properly good example instead of settling for a sub par one. I missed a couple of 165.024s on this forum so that kinda sucks. A dealer friend came to me with a Japan racing dial full set in mint condition, checks out with omega, runs good according to my watch maker. All for a pretty decent $3300 and I thought why not.

14. joerg Dec 22, 2015

Hey, sell the bike, go for another Speedie. Glad you made it. The watch has its story now.

VetPsychWars likes this.
  15. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 22, 2015

I submit that you'll not forget even if you replace the damaged parts.

Tom

16. profzhu Dec 25, 2015

I did sell my KTM., partly because I'm deciding between a Ducati and a BMW.

17. ljm222 Jan 4, 2016

wow I love the text on the back! maybe i will re consider learning how to ride a motorbike this year!

18. Eric_navi Jan 5, 2016

Awesome

19. blubarb Jan 5, 2016

Great story and I am glad you are still with us to tell it. I have a similar story from about 5 years ago. My HD was totalled but I walked (hobbled actually) and the thing I remember as I was moving through the air and to the ground was keep the head up and the left wrist (I was wearing my 50th Ann speedy) off the ground. My goal was to save the two most important parts of me. I landed on my right side thank my lucky stars. Curse the bitch who tried to beat me through a roundabout when I was already in it! The Speedy was saved and by all reports the head, but at times my wife says it wasn't.

Edited Jan 5, 2016
    Nathan1967 likes this.
  20. profzhu Jan 7, 2016

@blubarb so I'm not exactly the guy with the best safety record around. I've had another crash a few years back, that one totally not my fault. Some young punk drove his Mercedes into me and literally took the entire bike from under me. It's wasn't terrible for me but the bike was totalled from the impact. Coincidentally I was wearing the same Speedy I had (the 35 anniv) and the exact though went through my head "keep the speedy safe... keep the speedy safe... keep the speedy safe" and I landed on my side. The watch was saved but I ended up with an awkward scar on my knee.

[​IMG]

Ok I lied just a little bit. What went through my head was "oh man my mum is going to screw me... save the speedy... oh man my mum is going to screw me... save the speedy..."