My Speedmaster purchase.

Hello all, I've been after a speedmaster for some time, I've been told it's a pre-moon speedmaster, I don't see any serial numbers on the back, but I've been told its late 60s or early 70s, it's in perfect working order. And looks like new to me. The bracelet looks a bit thin compared to others ive seen. Is the bracelet period correct? Watch is from Germany originally.. thanks for reading
Edited:

If this is a pre moon speedy the dial would have an applied omega symbol not printed. Either that would mean the dial has been replaced sometime in the past or the watch has been put together from different parts. We won’t know until you open the caseback and get the reference number and serial. Dial looks like a 145.022-74.

I think it's a -69 dial with the bezel and hands replaced...

Also afaik, 'pre-moon' is used as a term for casebacks without the flight qualified by NASA, so it could have printed logo too (but it depends on how one uses the term)

I believe the 1162 is for the mk2 speedy as well. 575 endlink was seen on the 022.

Stepped dial, so no newer than a 71. Open the caseback (or get a watchmaker to open it) to get the serial number.

Likely a -69 with the lume removed and new hands and bezel.

If this is a pre moon speedy the dial would have an applied omega symbol not printed. Either that would mean the dial has been replaced sometime in the past or the watch has been put together from different parts. We won’t know until you open the caseback and get the reference number and serial. Dial looks like a 145.022-74.
Im probably getting the terminology wrong, what I mean is it doesn't mention moon on the back case

The person I bought it from said it was original and no parts replaced, of course he didnt have paperwork to back that up, but the watch feels good to me, I'm not an expert by any means. My guess is 1973 , I will be sending it in to my local jewelry shop for valuation for insurance asap

I can guarantee the bezel is not correct and has been replaced. Almost certainly the hands as well.

Hands are ok at nighttime, is there meant to be lume on the dial sections also, that is not showing up well at night time

Hands are ok at nighttime, is there meant to be lume on the dial sections also, that is not showing up well at night time
If by ‘the hands are ok at night’ you mean they glow then this is a strong indication they have been replaced since 50 year old tritium line certainly won’t. They look like modern SuperLuminova replacements. It’s from circa 1969-70 but as noted it’s had some work at some point.

If by ‘the hands are ok at night’ you mean they glow then this is a strong indication they have been replaced since 50 year old tritium line certainly won’t. They look like modern SuperLuminova replacements. It’s from circa 1969-70 but as noted it’s had some work at some point.
Not quite sure what you mean—50 year old tritium will glow, albeit not for very long…

I'm very happy with the watch anyway, I didn't pay crazy money for it, so as long as it's working and looks good to me, then I happy. One thing I'd like to get is a period correct box , as the watch came with a generic box, and maybe also I might experiment with straps, omega, leather or something else

I think it's a -69 dial with the bezel and hands replaced...

Also afaik, 'pre-moon' is used as a term for casebacks without the flight qualified by NASA, so it could have printed logo too (but it depends on how one uses the term)

I believe the 1162 is for the mk2 speedy as well. 575 endlink was seen on the 022.

I stand corrected I hadn't considered the -69 which is printed but still "pre-moon". Whoopsies!

I stand corrected I hadn't considered the -69 which is printed but still "pre-moon". Whoopsies!

'pre-moon' doesn't really mean much anyway, it's just a term. Some people refer it to even speedys that were made before it made to the moon instead of the inscription thing. Didn't mean to correct you or anything!

'pre-moon' doesn't really mean much anyway, it's just a term. Some people refer it to even speedys that were made before it made to the moon instead of the inscription thing. Didn't mean to correct you or anything!

Don't sweat it. You were right. I dont mind being corrected at all. I look at it as I am a lifelong student and always trying to learn!

Not quite sure what you mean—50 year old tritium will glow, albeit not for very long…
Without stimulation by UV, after 4 half lives trit lume will be basically inert and invisible in the dark. If you do pump it with UV or strong light it will glow (the phosphor component) but fade very quickly. It won’t glow strongly like SL then fade slowly over hours. The OP hands look like SL.

Caseback is in great condition. Couldn't the bezel be original too ? I mean, a DN90 bezel makes sense for a stepped dial with printed logo so what makes it incorrect?

Although a version of the DNN bezel can be correct for later -69’s, this isn’t it. The font is different identifying it as a much later bezel and incorrect for any -69.