My Speedmaster purchase.

The person I bought it from said it was original and no parts replaced, of course he didnt have paperwork to back that up, but the watch feels good to me, I'm not an expert by any means. My guess is 1973 , I will be sending it in to my local jewelry shop for valuation for insurance asap

Unfortunately, as noted above, it's far from original, but if you didn't pay much and you're happy with it, then congrats, enjoy the watch. If you were looking to buy a collectible vintage pre-moon Speedmaster, then you should return it to the seller ASAP. The fact that he claimed it was original with no parts replaced is clear grounds for a return.

Without stimulation by UV, after 4 half lives trit lume will be basically inert and invisible in the dark. If you do pump it with UV or strong light it will glow (the phosphor component) but fade very quickly. It won’t glow strongly like SL then fade slowly over hours. The OP hands look like SL.
The are not very strong, I had to put them under artificial light last night to make them glow, I've only just got the watch, so let's see

it is obvious that this -69st had some replacements:
- the bezel is a recent version (version 2004 it seems to me),
- if the hands are luminous then they have luminova and not tritium,
- the tritum of the indexes has been removed, perhaps it was degrading too much.
this is indeed a correct stepped dial for the -69st,
- the 1162/575 bracelet is not original but it is vintage. it looks a lot like the 1116/575 that can sometimes be found on -69st.

many speedmasters have had parts replaced as they weren't considered jewelry like Rolexes of the time. so they were worn a lot and were exposed to life. can we blame their previous owners for wanting to make them cleaner? Finding period pieces in good condition takes a lot of time and a lot of money. apart from the collectors that we are, most people think that we quibble about the font used, the presence of a dot in such a place...
everyone has their requirements, the important thing is to be aware of them and to be happy with the object you have.

it is obvious that this -69st had some replacements:
- the bezel is a recent version (version 2004 it seems to me),
- if the hands are luminous then they have luminova and not tritium,
- the tritum of the indexes has been removed, perhaps it was degrading too much.
this is indeed a correct stepped dial for the -69st,
- the 1162/575 bracelet is not original but it is vintage. it looks a lot like the 1116/575 that can sometimes be found on -69st.

many speedmasters have had parts replaced as they weren't considered jewelry like Rolexes of the time. so they were worn a lot and were exposed to life. can we blame their previous owners for wanting to make them cleaner? Finding period pieces in good condition takes a lot of time and a lot of money. apart from the collectors that we are, most people think that we quibble about the font used, the presence of a dot in such a place...
everyone has their requirements, the important thing is to be aware of them and to be happy with the object you have.

Exactly my thoughts, thank you, I'm not an expert or investment is not my primary goal here, I could have bought a new watch if I wanted to , but I'm happy with my purchase, if a little disappointed that the seller said it was all original. But I will use this watch more now and not worry to much about it's future value

It’s a bits and pieces watch sourced from different Speedmasters. Still a genuine Omega and at the right price it is ok.

It’s a bits and pieces watch sourced from different Speedmasters. Still a genuine Omega and at the right price it is ok.

I wouldn’t go that far. That implies no core or individual watch makes up the bulk and it is a watch created by a watchmaker rather than omega. I very much doubt that’s the case. It’s probable the case, dial and movement which constitute the main components are original.

I’m agree with you @Davidt, it's just a Speedmaster that's had a turbulent life and has been given a refresh to keep it looking good for years to come. there are finally few pieces that differ from the 70s.

a few years ago before the vintage boom, it was almost the norm. if you send your watch to Rolex, they will change all the parts that they don't like and they won't give you back the old ones. it signs the life of the watch.
there are enough models for everyone to choose the one they like.

I’m agree with you @Davidt, it's just a Speedmaster that's had a turbulent life and has been given a refresh to keep it looking good for years to come. there are finally few pieces that differ from the 70s.

a few years ago before the vintage boom, it was almost the norm. if you send your watch to Rolex, they will change all the parts that they don't like and they won't give you back the old ones. it signs the life of the watch.
there are enough models for everyone to choose the one they like.
It is ok to have a turbulent life, stuff happens. Lume gets old on hands, damaged watches sometimes service dials etc… You can’t expect prestine everything after 50 years.

Hi all,
This was sent to me by the seller, serial number 310xxxxx.

The original lume is definitely gone from dial, and yes I think the hands are newer, they definitely have "glow" but not tritium.

Is it possible the original owner wanted to clean up the watch ? , Maybe done in mid 2000 before these watches started going up in value?

I don't have a picture of the back of the case cover, but I plan to open it up and have a look.
Would a 145.022.69 ST have a 1972 or 1973 manufacturers date and a pre-moon back ?
Edited:

according to the serial number, it was produced at the end of 1971 and it is consistent with a premoon model

according to the serial number, it was produced at the end of 1971 and it is consistent with a premoon model
That's great to know because it makes the watch the same year I was born (November 71)

Should I pay the money to get an extract on the watch, or has it been messed with too much to worry about it

And should I consider getting the dial re lumed and find period correct hands or just leave it as is?
And the bezel, should I try to find a period correct Dot next to 90 , 1970s bezel , or is that just too difficult.
Questions, questions
I think I already know the answers, but all advice is taken.
Edited:

Well, what exactly does the extract give you. This is obviously not an untouched watch. Extract only shows when and where was it sold.

I'd have it relumed. Also, it shouldn't be too hard to find correct hands from eBay.
You can also get a DON bezel from Lewis: https://www.lewiswatchco.com/shop - a repro version that is good quality and cheap.
Original DNN in good condition is 500+ EUR.
DON bezels go for much much more.

there are several dates:
- the production date of the mechanism. it is approximate.
- the production date of the watch appears on the archive extract.
it costs around 120€ and you get it in 15 days / 1 month. you will also have the destination of the watch.
if the archive is lost, you cannot be refunded (people worked to do the research)
- the date of sale appears on the warranty papers which are rarely preserved.

several months or even years separate these dates.

as for the bezel, a DO90 seems too old on this model IMO. instead look for a more age-appropriate (and cheaper!) DNN

The bezel would be of much greater concern to me than the hands. I’d be weighing up how much I paid for the watch, given the bezel is incorrect and debating whether to keep or return.
Ultimately I’d watch a correct bezel on my speedmaster

Well, what exactly does the extract give you. This is obviously not an untouched watch. Extract only shows when and where was it sold.

I'd have it relumed. Also, it shouldn't be too hard to find correct hands from eBay.
You can also get a DON bezel from Lewis: https://www.lewiswatchco.com/shop - a repro version that is good quality and cheap.
Original DNN in good condition is 500+ EUR.
DON bezels go for much much more.

Anyone know the serial number range for DON90 bezel watches, I'm assuming my watch isn't, so I don't want to put anything fake/reproduced on the watch to be honest

I faced the same problem some time ago.
it all depends on the purchase price and your taste.

changing the bezel to a DNN will cost you 500-600€.
you can resell the current one for around €150.

you can relum the indexes with tritium. I don't know the price but it won't be exorbitant.
for the hands, the same people can also put tritium.

the totality of these changes should therefore be around 1000€.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I will start looking for genuine 1970s hands, they should be creamish/brownish/greenish in the middle of them , not white like mine, or get the ones I have re lumed. I will hold for now on re luming the dial for a future date, and start looking for a correct, not too perfect, DNto90 bezel. At least if I have the parts for the future, I would be happy for now

Cheers,
Edited:

I faced the same problem some time ago.
it all depends on the purchase price and your taste.

changing the bezel to a DNN will cost you 500-600€.
you can resell the current one for around €150.

you can relum the indexes with tritium. I don't know the price but it won't be exorbitant.
for the hands, the same people can also put tritium.

the totality of these changes should therefore be around 1000€.
Not going to mention money, but I got it for 1000 euro less than the asking price on ebay

Not going to mention money, but I got it for 1000 euro less than the asking price on ebay

Have you compared to pice chart on Speedmaster101?