My Speedmaster 3861 story

Hi everyone. I thought I would share the story behind my new 3861 Saphire as I am sure it will resonate with many of you. I would like to eventually do a long post soon about all my Omegas as I have many, I used to be active on TZ over 20 years ago.

I popped into the Omega boutique in Hong Kong a few months ago, my first visit for many years. I was wearing my 125 at the time and the young guy working there noticed it. We got to talking and he was genuinely interested in the old watches, he showed me the current Seamaster Pro, my first Omega back in 1996, and the Speedmaster. The seed was planted.

2023 will be my 50th, and one of the reasons why I love my Speedmaster 125 is because it is a 1973 model, my birth year. So I started to think about a 50th Birthday present to myself. Time to try something different, HK is full of grey market dealers, so you name it you can find it. After many weeks I had found a lovely Rolex 16710 GMT from 1996 that had just been overhauled by Rolex and I was interested in it. I'm an Omega guy but thought I should try new things. I had a look, very nice piece but I was with my daughter and so didn't stay long. I went back the next day with the intention of buying it but I really do not like visiting the watch dealers, it's just not a pleasant environment for me. So I turned around and didn't buy it. It just didn't feel right. Another grey watch dealer has a nice Ed White 321 but again I don't really fancy going back to their shop.

My daughter of course let slip to my Wife that I was looking at a Rolex. My Wife shook her head and rather than say "another watch?" just said you are an Omega guy, the Rolex doesn't suit you...I knew she was right. So I planned to take a trip back to the Omega boutique to "see" the nice sales guy and show him some of my watches and look again at the new Speedmaster. It's just nice to take my watches out and about and show them to someone who was interested in them.

IMG_2974.jpg

I took along a flightmaster, a Constellation and an AT. And came home with the 3861 :) The experience was everything I hoped it would be, a pleasant relaxed environment looking at amazing watches and best of all I had my 2 daughters with me. Omega has been such an important part of my adult life it just felt good to have my daughters there to help me "choose".

IMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2976.jpg

For me I am so happy I didn't rush into buying something else. Go with your instinct, I looked at some lovely watches over the past few weeks but knew deep down I wanted a new Speedmaster. After I had looked at it in December I just couldn't get over the bracelet and the clasp.

IMG_2977.jpg

Anyway I'm very happy with my purchase. Paul

I should add I had planned on a classic hesalite version, they are both stunning, but in the shop I liked the applied Omega logo on the saphire version.

That’s a lovely set of watches you took along with you and cracking additions you have made.

I’ve had my hesalite 3861 for just over a year and as my first “luxury” watch and first Omega, I’ve been really impressed. It’s a pleasure to wear and I really like the taper on the bracelet. It keeps pretty good time too, it loses around 0.5 seconds per day so no complaints there either.

Congratulations on a great purchase!

Very nice collection and congrats on the new Speedmaster! Enjoy!

...and best of all I had my 2 daughters with me. Omega has been such an important part of my adult life it just felt good to have my daughters there to help me "choose"...

This is cool, I like this. When I'm 50, my two girls will be 20 and 17. Maybe they can help ME pick out a nice watch for my birthday!
Anyway, congrats on the Speedy! And here's to a happy 50th rotation around the sun!

Great collection! Diverse and fun!
(Those new service boxes are really great for traveling, by the way!)

Great story and congratulations on the purchase! I think we're in the same boat regarding hesalite vs sapphire. I love the idea and history of the hesalite version but I love applied markers too much to pass up the sapphire!

I should add I had planned on a classic hesalite version, they are both stunning, but in the shop I liked the applied Omega logo on the saphire version.

Wonderful story, thank you for sharing it with us!

I'm like you -- I went into the Omega Boutique intending to purchase the hesalite 3861, but walked out the door with the sapphire version instead. Yes, it was the applied logo that tipped the balance for me.

Great story and collection! :thumbsup:
Lookin forward to see more of your collection, especially that Speedmaster 125!

Great story and collection! :thumbsup:
Lookin forward to see more of your collection, especially that Speedmaster 125!

Yes the 125 is in for a service at the moment. I would love to post my collection when they are all here.

Congratulations. Looks like you got the new clasp with the on the fly adjustment :thumbsup:

Very nice group of watches you gathered. Congrats on the new 3861 Speedy.

Wear it in health

Diverse yes, but the
Congratulations. Looks like you got the new clasp with the on the fly adjustment :thumbsup:

Yes.

Diverse yes, but I have a common theme and that is big 70's cases and bracelets.

Great collection and congratulations on the new speedy! I’m contemplating a sapphire sandwich as well.

Congratulations and happy birthday! That’s a good looking AT. Enjoy them all!

Nice group of watches. My son was not with me, just text message, but sent him a picture of the 3861 Speedy and a Tudor Pelagos 39 - he quickly chose the Speedy as the one to purchase. Enjoy your new addition.