Forums Latest Members
  1. alphasquare Aug 8, 2015

Just got this baby 2 days ago, loving the stepped dial, overall good condition and what seems to be period-correct parts. I haven't open the case back yet, but the seller said it is stamped 145.022-69 ST. He also sent a picture of the movement number 2911xxxx, which I believe is produced in late 1969 or early 1970. The 1039 clasp is stamped 4/69, 516 end links, DON bezel, pre-moon hippocampus case back. I have been lusting for a stepped dial speedmaster for a while, so when this watch came up, it took me less than 5 minutes to click that button.

I'm just wondering though, the dial, while stepped, has green markers instead of the yellow patina. For a 45 year old watch, it looks pristine. The lume on the hands are also of similar green hue. More curiously, the markers and hand lumes still glow in the dark although not for long, probably less than 5 minutes. Are the dial and hands original to this watch, given the lume condition? I'm not too bothered about this since they are matching and looks nice, just curious.

Cheers.

Out of the DHL box:
    Out-of-the-box.jpg

Took off the bracelet for cleaning
    IMG-20150807-WA0004.jpg IMG-20150807-WA0002.jpg

After some Autosol and soap
    face.jpg

face2.jpg

Case back
    Case-back.jpg

Inside the case back, scratched last serviced 2009
    case back inside.jpg

Movement
    movement.jpg

Bracelet
    Clasp.jpg

Edited Aug 15, 2015
    Risto, tictictictoc, Atansev and 9 others like this.
  2. esspee1200 Aug 8, 2015

Nice watch with great looking case, dial, bezel. I have a similar era speedy and mine will glow when subject to intense light.

3. timeismoney Aug 8, 2015

Looks good with that slightly blue DON bezel :thumbsup: that green lume is normal for this period, you are all good as far as I can tell. Good examples of this reference are starting to dry up, congrats on the purchase. Enjoy!

blubarb likes this.
  4. ricardorio Aug 8, 2015

Fantastic Speedy, I have two of that era. The glow is to low, even in power ligth.

Edited Aug 8, 2015
  5. blubarb Aug 8, 2015

Great score, well done! Oh to have a 145.022-69 with a DoN bezel in that condition!

6. x3no Aug 8, 2015

Beautiful speedy, congrats on your grab!! My similar era 145.012 speedy from 67 glows for about 2 seconds if you subject it to intense light for a few moments.. but otherwise goes away. Not sure about the greenish tint color, but I've seen it before.

7. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Aug 8, 2015

That is the nicest looking '69 I've seen since I sold mine earlier this year.
    Looks like it spent most of it's life in a drawer. Big congrats.

8. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Aug 8, 2015

Where's PitPro with his blue DON bezel beauty?

9. alphasquare Aug 8, 2015

Thank you guys for the kind words. I also learnt today that the tropical/chocolate dial tends to be found among speedies with 29 million movement serials. My dial looks black, which I preferred. The bezel sometimes looks bluish. I'm planning to wear this everyday, maybe it will develop it's own patina, my patina, with time. It's arrival coincided with several significant events of my life, which makes it even more meaningful.

blubarb likes this.
  10. michaelmc Aug 9, 2015

Nice and clean example, congrats. Many of those models turn shades of brown. Omega chocolate.jpg

alphasquare likes this.
  11. Misterred Aug 11, 2015

Love the watch, love the bezel; that's in excellent condition with hardly a scratch to it.

12. alphasquare Aug 15, 2015

So I opened the watch, the numbers inside the case back and on the movement are correct, but I noticed my case back inside doesn't have any perlage. Is this normal?

13. alfanator Aug 15, 2015

Nice one. As mentioned, the green lume is normal for this vintage.

14. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 15, 2015

I regret to inform you that a vintage Speedmaster like this should not be worn daily.
    Rather, it should be worn in rotation with at least 2-3 other vintage Speedmasters.
    ;)
    Congrats on a fine example. And yes I was kidding about its suitability as a daily. Heck, I wore my 105.102-66 CB daily on holiday in Italy for two weeks! You will no doubt always be conscious of wearing such a fine example, and will therefore be very careful with it I'm sure. Enjoy!

Giff2577, blubarb and alphasquare like this.
  15. alphasquare Aug 16, 2015

Super conscious I might say. Last night, while I mustered enough courage to open the case back, my hands were shaking :confused:. I already stored the bracelet somewhere safe, and waiting for shell cordovan strap to dress up this baby. In the mean time I'm wearing it on a bond NATO. Don't want to change straps too often, it always make me nervous that I might scratch it

16. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 16, 2015

Well there are several opinions contrary to my own here, and for balance I present them. Not trying to start a fight, just present my own observations.

Green lume on a 2911xxxx is unusual. I am not saying it is unoriginal or wrong because I (like most of us) don't know. I can tell you that 2911's that are original for sure don't show green. This color I see in 30m+. More in the early stamped backs of 32m.

Second a vintage 861 is perfect for everyday. It needs to be serviced and waterproofed, which if you start with a sound one will be no problem. My wife has worn the same one for years.

Remember waterproof just means anti humidity not swim proof. Although my wife did take hers in the shower once to no detriment.

alphasquare likes this.
  17. justwatching Aug 16, 2015

I have a 145.022-76 that has the same green patina. I notice that the green markers are more common in the 70's and upward speedy's but i have noevidence to prove that this is true. Just buy green shoes to match and enjoy!

image.jpg
    Edited Aug 16, 2015
  18. Pahawi Aug 16, 2015

Here's one in the 30 mill range:

IMG_1811.JPG

blubarb, Esmarch and TLIGuy like this.
  19. esspee1200 Aug 16, 2015

Nice watch, congrats!

20. blubarb Aug 16, 2015

Apologies for bringing this up here, but didn't want to start a new thread for it, is it possible to find 31 mil movement numbers in a 145.012-67 stamped watch?