Forums Latest Members

My run in with WWF watches

1. Walrus Oct 25, 2020

I was telling this little story to a member I DM with frequently thought I’d post it here as it was kind of fun. Without going into a big schpiel my job often involves me stopping by peoples houses who have numerous issues they are dealing with, many of course really struggle financially and I assist the doing redetermination for various state and federal benefits. Anyway they always like when I share a little personal stuff about myself. Usually just stupid stuff like a problem I had fixing a lawn mower but the couple I was with Friday asked me about the watch I was wearing. It was just a speedy date but they really liked the look of it and complimented it. I told them I just collect watches as my grandfather had given me a few at a young age and it just stuck with me.

The guy got real exited and wanted to show me his watch collection. Of course I said I’d love to see it, he brought out a watch box full of 15-20 watches all with the world wrestling federation logo on them and some had pictures of famous wrestlers who I have no clue whom they were. I made a point to look at each one and point out something I liked about them. Many of them were monsters, I think the square ones may have been 60mm. I could tell by his face he likes his collection as much as I like mine. Even has a little cloth to clean each watch up after Handling them. They told me at the end of the month they were adding another one to the collection, asked me if I was picking anything up. I told them I had plans on going to a watch store Saturday to look at something but I ended up a little sick this weekend and didn’t go.

Anyway it was just kind of cool. To him those watches meant as much as a Daytona or something would to someone. He was telling me he wants to give his collection to his grandson when he is old enough (grandkid is 7 years old I’m not sure those Chinese movements will make it that long) but I hope they do as his grandson was there when he said that and the kid got real happy and started jumping up and down.

Just another one of those perspective checks in life. I didn’t get any questions about the cost of my watch he just wanted me to explain the Chrono function. He wants to find a WWF watch with a Chrono function now. Just confirms we don’t need to be watch snobs to enjoy this hobby.

2. sonicosa Oct 25, 2020

Thanks for sharing. It’s a great story and made me smile.

NotAClue, schoolboy and Walrus like this.
  3. NotAClue Oct 25, 2020

A story about watches, love, humbleness and... hope. Thank you so much for taking some of your time to share it with us.
    Cheers

4. akshayluc420 Oct 25, 2020

Such a sweet story! Working on the assumption that his watches are quartz ones, it may behoove him to have the batteries removed whilst being stored. Why risk corrosion tainting such a valued collection? Just a thought to pass on if you're in touch with him.

schoolboy and Walrus like this.
  5. Walrus Oct 25, 2020

Ya I usually visit everyone on my caseload at least bi weekly sometimes more if emergencies run out. Everyone one of his watches is running at the moment, he keeps up with battery changes but I will bring that up to him on our next meeting. I’m pretty sure I will see the whole collection again at the end of the month when he adds the new wwf model he is getting.

schoolboy and noelekal like this.
  6. Scooterino36 Oct 25, 2020

My kind of watch story. Pretty neat that you were able to connect through watch collecting. Bret “the Hitman” Hart was one of the hero’s of my childhood. I hope he finds that chrono!

schoolboy and Walrus like this.
  7. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Oct 25, 2020

I really do not want to come over all gushy but you really do sound the perfect guy for the work you do, well done :thumbsup:

CdnWatchDoc, sxl2004, Larry S and 7 others like this.
  8. Engee Oct 25, 2020

My big takeaway from this story is how thoroughly decent and empathic you are. Your clients are fortunate to have you in their corner. Life is very tough for too many people, and not enough have someone like you to help them through.

There’s a Hebrew phrase meaning “more strength to you” or “honour to you” that I think is fitting: kol hakavod.

Walrus, Larry S, schoolboy and 3 others like this.
  9. Marsimaxam Oct 25, 2020

Thank you for sharing a heartwarming story. Just as both you and I were introduced to watches by our Grandfathers, another young man will be introduced to watches by a father who both enjoys and cherishes his watches, and that joy may grow and change for that young man in the future, just as it changed for us, and what we collect is probably quite different from what we were initially introduced to by our Grandfathers.

schoolboy likes this.
  10. pw92676 Oct 25, 2020

That is a great story. Love the passion he has. That kind of passion turns this from hobby to art.

schoolboy and janice&fred like this.
  11. Walrus Oct 25, 2020

Well thanks nice of you but I didn’t bring up this story to garner points actually it was about him and how happy his collection makes him. Our company gives us some money to buy these guys and girls Christmas presents. I might do a search see how much these WWF watches are. I figure I can kick in a little extra if need be but we usually try to get them something a little more practical like a gift card or food basket. Anyway just something I’m thinking of.

12. schoolboy Oct 25, 2020

Love the story. Very humbling and reminds me that the price of the object doesn’t determine the enjoyment or the level of passion that the hobbyist may have.

Thanks for sharing.

13. aap Oct 25, 2020

Great story!!! Thanks for sharing :)

14. Engee Oct 25, 2020

Of course - I didn’t think you were virtue signalling for a moment. Just saying what I took from your post.

Walrus likes this.
  15. speedydownunder Oct 26, 2020

Great story. Thank you for sharing.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 26, 2020

Sometimes a collection only has meaning to the collector...

17. lillatroll Oct 26, 2020

Loved this story. I collect watches because I like watches rather than the fact that they cost stupid amounts of money. It's nice to know your client gets so much joy out of his watches and even nicer to read that you are indeed a decent human being who made an effort to appreciate his watches with him. Many others might have scoffed at his collection.

Stewart A and schoolboy like this.
  18. Jeeper Oct 26, 2020

Just shows its about what you love & can afford in relationship to your own circumstances. Well done to you Walrus, having the patience & investing your time to brighten someone elses life.

Jeeper

19. Ascalon Oct 28, 2020

First play, @Walrus

That was a straight up decent thing to do.

Sending you a virtual pint.