Forums Latest Members
  1. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 12, 2013

I hate frankens omegas more than most and have frequently posted my dislike of these watches. But in this hobby, one is entitled to have a bit of fun and the beautiful dials watchco has been selling over the past year to two years has given me the opportunity to assemble my own manual wind omega collection using these dials and parts from my parts bin - movements, cases and crowns. I figures I loved these dials and I had an excess of parts so why not put them to good use?

When I started down this path, I knew the dials I wanted to use and decided to make a dress watch collection and a sports watch collection. The dress watch collection are thinner smaller cases - 36mm stainless steel ones (all 4 of the cases are NOS cases) and the sports watch collection are in bigger, thicker cases - they are actually the exact same case used for the omega RAF'53 - happened to have 4 of them in my collection in various states of condition. To add to the fun, 2 of them have display casebacks that I had my watchmaker create from salvaged parts from other watches. To fit the RAF cases, some fabrication work had to be done since the inner movement cages were missing from the case parts I had. I've also used hirsch artisanal blue gator straps for the 4 dress watches to complete the classy dress watch look. And as an interesting detail, the crowns I used for the 4 watches using the RAF '53 cases are original NAIAD omega crowns.

So I started with a core of 4 dress watches and 4 sports watches for a total of 8. Then to add to the fun, had 2 more dials one of which I used in a 36mm 18k rose gold case (same case style and size as the stainless steel dress watch cases) and I used another dial in a 37.5mm stainless steel omega case. I have one last dial - the 11th in the "collection" that I will be housing in the same 37.5mm stainless steel case.

Without further ado, here are pictures of the watches - something of a labor of love for me:

First the dress watch line:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the sports watch line:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As mentioned, 2 of these watches have see through casebacks:

[​IMG]

Then 2 more - a "special" dress watch in a omega swiss case in 18k rose gold - have a new crown for it that I haven't had the chance to install yet:

[​IMG]

And one in a 37.5mm stainless steel case:

[​IMG]

2. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 12, 2013

I for one will not mind a franken this nice. Hoping you will put them up for sale some day.;)

3. ulackfocus Jan 12, 2013

::love::

4. jbibz Jan 12, 2013

I know you hate frankens but it looks great what you have done, it would have have been such a shame to not house these dials in such a way. I take my hat off to you!

5. chiko7734 Jan 12, 2013

Some of those dials are truly beautiful!

6. Dablitzer Jan 12, 2013

::cool::

7. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 13, 2013

Excellent work. They all look fantastic.

dsio likes this.
  8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 13, 2013

Love the blue dial, and the one with the blue ring.

9. MyVintageOmega Jan 13, 2013

Indeed great work......:thumbsup:

10. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 13, 2013

Respectable Member MSNWatch

If you did not say these watches are home-made 'frankens', I would believe they all had come from Bienne Switzerland, some years ago. Maybe, I am not alone.

They are really good looking and superbly executed. You put our good friends in Ukraine to shame. Thank God, you are a man of integrity and not an unscrupulous element. Otherwise, if you were to flood the market with these pieces, only our serious enthusiasts and experts in this forum can show you the red card.

Let us not call these watches 'frankens' but custom-made examples for your private museum.

Thank-you.

MKelley likes this.
  11. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 13, 2013

so, when you need help with the amag cages for the mil. cases, let me know. i should have 1 left and can send it to you for a copy. maybe a few more copies; there are a few guys, who need them as well.....i have a few inner backs for the amag. cases left as well. a collector from india made the inner spring loaded rings and we sold them a few years back for the mil. watch collectors. therfe is still demand for them as well.... so, when do we start to produce these parts? and, BTW, your creations are just nice. Watchco from melbourne is always good for rare parts.... have a great weekend. kind regards. achim

12. Steve Jan 13, 2013

Most of those watches would good in any boutique window !. Excellent work. :thumbsup:

13. NT931 Jan 13, 2013

I love the first sports watch, the one on an ostrich strap!

14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 13, 2013

Thanks for the compliments. For those of you who do not know the origins of these dials - they were originally used in omega issued limited edition watches released in 1994 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the omega watch company. They were really the equivalent of the more recent museum editions by omega that used authentic NOS manual wind movements - not modern versions of these movements. One of these limited edition watches was my very first omega watch purchase some 6 years ago now and that started my love of the brand and particularly love of these dials which continues to today. Here is a link which discusses these limited edition watches:

http://omega.watchprosite.com/?show=nblog.post&ti=661801

And here is a picture of the watch which for me started me on this hobby:

[​IMG]

15. pascs Jan 13, 2013

Some very attractive watches, well done for putting together such a great collection :thumbsup:

16. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Feb 24, 2013

Are any of these Ref 2390s?

17. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 24, 2013

What's a 2390 case? These are 32mm dials so minimum case size is 36mm with a thin bezel.

18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 24, 2013

Sent you a message to answer some questions Kyle.

19. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Feb 24, 2013

20. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 24, 2013