Forums Latest Members
  1. poorrich Jun 7, 2014

I just joined and could use some help. I have a gold omega tank watch. On the inside of the caseback it says 14 k and 585 . Everything else is too small for my old eyes. Where can I find out what I have with this meager information

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 7, 2014

If there is a 4-digit number, that is the case reference, you can try here:

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database

No guarantees that it will work, many watches are simply not listed in Omega's records. If you are in the US, it was a habit of Omega to simply export the movement to the US importer Norman Morris, Inc. who commissioned their own 14K cases.

Without clear and detailed pictures of the movement and inside the caseback, there is very little we can do here.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. NT931 Jun 7, 2014

Hi, any photos available? Images of the dial, caseback, movement would help immensely. Cheers!

poorrich likes this.
  4. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jun 8, 2014

I confirm. Impossible to give more info without pictures.

5. ulackfocus Jun 8, 2014

I have an old Ford. Under the hood I see 8 spark plug wires. Can anyone tell me more details?

Euxinus, Joe K., dwndler and 2 others like this.
  6. poorrich Jun 8, 2014

to those who tried to help i thank you all and appreciate the effort. i will have to dig out my magnifying glass. to dennis you can fix your ford while wearing your invicta

7. poorrich Jun 8, 2014

heres what i found while i was under the hood. the 585 may really be OJ 2585 which would bring it back to 1950. as it was bought in the late 70's or early 80's it is possible but not probable. the other numbers are 191 740 dy which i couldn't find anywhere. this will make one or two people laugh but i don't know how to put pictures on the net. if i can get your email i will gladly send them to you. thanks again to all

8. poorrich Jun 8, 2014

i am a self taught computer user with limited knowledge. if you care to give me your email i can send them with my ipad. otherwise i am lost

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 8, 2014

10. poorrich Jun 8, 2014

they will be on the way soon. i take it you are australian. i haven't spoken to a mate yet that wasn't a gentleman. your help is appreciated

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 8, 2014

These are the pics, by the looks its a Quartz (battery powered) 14K solid gold tank from the late 1970s or early 1980s powered by the Calibre 1377 movement

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG

12. poorrich Jun 8, 2014

thats just about when it was bought. thank you again

13. ulackfocus Jun 8, 2014

I like this guy already. :thumbsup:

14. poorrich Jun 8, 2014

dennis, i am ols school from south philly. it is a pleasure to meet you.

15. ulackfocus Jun 8, 2014

Here's my Omega tank:

[​IMG]

efauser, Davidt and poorrich like this.
  16. poorrich Jun 8, 2014

thanks to dsio it seems to be a late 70's or early 80's calibre 1377 quartz omega. the only other picture i could find was an identical watch on ebay from england. the one difference being where my watch says quartz that watch had deville printed. i wonder if there is a difference

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 8, 2014

The "191.740" is the case reference number. The 0,585 (14/24) is actually the Swiss gold fineness hallmark.

Only difference is that it is listed as having an 18K gold, not 14K gold case. Not really an issue, as Omega generally made them in 14K for the US market. Sometimes these would have "DeVille" on them, sometimes not. Doesn't make a difference.

If you remember the first site I posted, which is the "Official" Omega Vintage website, your watch is listed there:

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=14595

[​IMG]

BTW, if you use the words "Invicta" and "watch" in the same sentence, it really sets Dennis off. ;)
    gatorcpa

18. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 8, 2014

Yes, I was impressed too. It seemed a bullseye, especially from a new guy. :D

John R Smith likes this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 8, 2014

Just to clarify the case reference system again, what everyone here typically lists as the reference (6 or sometimes 7 numbers) is really only a partial case reference. As such these numbers, like the 191740 in this case, only indicate the case style, and do not indicate the material. If you look at these search results from the Omega Extranet it might help explain to those who are not familiar:

[​IMG]

So the prefix 055 indicates it's a case number that follows, and then the next 2 letters typically are the case material, so you can see several listed for this case, including white gold, pink gold yellow gold, etc. There does not appear to be a stainless version here, but if there was it would be "ST' for those 2 letters.

I don't see a 14k yellow gold option listed, but as noted it could be a US made case, and those do not always show up on the Extranet.

Cheers, Al

20. poorrich Jun 8, 2014

I remember when my wife bought it for me, after I admired her bosses, that it was 14k so I am sure about that. She probably got it at her bosses jeweler.
    By the way Dennis has a sense of humor which I admire. I get irate at using those words together myself.as a wus'er I like how this forum operates and it seems to a bunch of good members. I will have to save up and get another omega. This was fun

Baco Noir, Hotwheelbill and Mothra like this.