Forums Latest Members
  1. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 9, 2020

Greetings all!

So during the Pandemic I went back to school and completed the UC Irvine Cyber Security Program. I decided I needed to punch of my resume a bit and show I have some tech skills. I know you web designers out there and people that have not just returned to the industry will find it all a bit basic.

You can view the website at m4urer.com

If you want to know a little more about me, roast me for my lack of skills and or writing ability go for it. Lord knows I need more humbling in my life.

I still need to finish the project area as you will see below. I shot the video the other day in Newport Beach at the world-famous Wedge. I was not planning on using it for the background, but it turned out pretty great for a handheld iPhone movie.

Projects that need to be placed.
    - Server Description with link to github with all of the config files, and step by step instruction on how to do this the hard way lol.
    - 3 custom Kali images, one my personal VM build, one to run headless in a container on a Pi, and one to run on the new Pi400.
    - Github links to all of my personal scripts I use on all builds
    - Github link to my highly secure Azure cloud build with load balancing webservers, docker, ansible, and ELK stack, all with failover protection with duplication in multiple data centers.

The website is just ok, the bigger thing is what it is running on and the software behind it. It's basically the hard way to do this using enterprise-level solutions and software on a device the size of a cell phone.

neofetch.PNG

The hardware is a cheap Rasberry Pi4 with 4gb of ram and a 64gb microSD card.
    available for about $40 with these SPECS

Software:
    Ubuntu Server (arm) 20.04 LTS
    Docker https://www.docker.com/
    Splunk https://www.splunk.com/

It is currently running 3 containers inside
    Wordpress
    Maria DB (Sql for Wordpress)
    Semi hidden Honeypot with a few triggers on it.

Other then that it has
    24/7 intrusion detection that alerts to a personal Slack.
    Multiple scripts set to crontab
    Overnight updates with logging
    Once a week container image updates, with cleanup and restart of containers.

plus some other things.

You can see my notes for set-up here.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GwjE1Cmc8tIHPxd8-bvVKuMar87svESVvzg2I19bvAw/edit?usp=sharing

If you're still reading, try and find a 404 page, I hope you will enjoy it.

apsm100, sdre, Eve and 13 others like this.
  2. wagudc Nov 9, 2020

I like the page, the only thing I am iffy on is the way the subheaders scroll. However, I can't stop thinking about it, so maybe that is good.

Raspberry Pi's are fun. I have the gen 1 and gen 2 versions. The GPIO is the best part. I used them as a media center (not at the same time) and added an IR receiver. Programed them to use a Logitech harmony remote. It was pretty slick, but now I have a Roku that does all that I need. I set up the 2 as an internet radio/ mpd server in the kitchen. I used a nice alluminum case with an LCD and physical buttons. It works well. I can run the internet radio using only the buttons. For the MPD server I have to use a phone, but I run it through a Schiit Audio Dac and SYS preamp for volume control. It all connects to a set of PSB powered speakers.

20201109_190653.jpg

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 9, 2020

There was a picture of you and a blurb for a few seconds but it disappeared.

linking to Twitter maybe not in my opinion. Not on a resume

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 9, 2020

are you on firefox?

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 9, 2020

ipad
    Don’t own a computer :thumbsup:

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 9, 2020

No that picture has just pissed me off now.

Did like the 404 Dave bit

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 9, 2020

Chrome on a mid 2010 Macbook Pro.

No problems at all, colour pallete well balanced and not too hard on the eyeballs.

Mini PCs are great. I use a NUC with an HDMI emulator and a USB screen on my bench. Works much much better than my Sony notebook, and even my trusty Macbook.

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. 8100_RPM Nov 9, 2020

I didn't realize you worked in the game industry. Back in my younger days, I worked in corporate finance for a large, well known and hated video game company. :D

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 9, 2020

Blizzard is noticeable absent from my resume while I did work there.

8100_RPM likes this.
  10. 8100_RPM Nov 9, 2020

I was with the competitor whose name is usually shortened to two vowels.

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. wristpirate Nov 10, 2020

On chrome and it works fine. The video background does seem to jerk on first load and the whole site loads a tad slower than ideal.

I'm more annoyed that under interests there is no mention of watches.

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 10, 2020

It was either "watches or Scotches".

I'm happy with the choice :D.

wristpirate likes this.
  13. wristpirate Nov 10, 2020

Fair choice. I would have accepted "watches on scotches" with some photos of said addictions.

14. alam Nov 10, 2020

Looks good on Firefox, just a bit slow loading the video - how about adding sound of the ocean waves and flying seagull ? :)

btw had to look for Thematic Liberal Studies, too many loosey-goosey subjects in that curriculum :p best of luck Phil!

15. mountainunder Nov 10, 2020

Do you have your old website too?:)

16. pdxleaf ... Nov 10, 2020

17. rcs914 Nov 10, 2020

I noticed this too and was like "wait a second...." ;)

A friend of mine is a Security Architect, and tried to get me to study for Sec+, but I would be lying if I said I was motivated by anything other than money to go that route. Just not my cup of tea interest wise.

18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 10, 2020

The video is from YouTube. So I cannot control the speed.

So the degree is an interesting story lol. I already had an AA and AS in philosophy and biology and had no idea what I wanted to do. So I picked undecided and went liberal studies. The core program there is fought like college 100 years ago. You learn the science, art, philosophy and history starting with the Babylonians, and move to present day learning how they all relate. Not an easy major that has a lot of drop outs. Of the people that do not drop out to child development most end up going into education.

Then there are the freaks like me. It’s also called the design your own degree program. I built my own degree program with upper division classes from the computer and business departments. It allowed me to take Business courses without taking accounting and skipping prerequisites. Same with the computer classes. I had and defended a thesis and had to get 5 signatures for every class. My advisor, an assistant dean, the teacher, and the heads of the business and computer sci depts.

Not the easiest path...

8100_RPM and WatchCor like this.
  19. Passover Nov 10, 2020

20. WatchCor Nov 10, 2020

The EA I knew gave me so many good memories. Good times , just getting back from school. Firing up the mighty 486 Intel with whopping 100Mhz rate and 16MB of RAM and on that massive 14" inch monitor that was as heavy as it was deep. Hearing that "EA sports , It's in the game" and waiting for the loading screen finish and the intro to fire up.

Good times.

P.s. Apologies for the tangent, nostalgia and all that.

8100_RPM likes this.