Forums Latest Members

My Movado Datron with 17 jewel EP in 14k

1. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Apr 9, 2016

Here it is, hope this is close enough to a Zenith for all of you. Movado did help develop the movement...

image.jpg
    Nelsonbcabral likes this.
  2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 9, 2016

Ah, the Ted Chaough

tumblr_nmzceelPJ51qzf25zo2_1280.png

Why do you think Movado had any part in the development of El Primero?

3. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Apr 9, 2016

Here you go from The Movado History.

image.jpg
  4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 9, 2016

I know what vonOsterhausen (and no one else) says. I'm asking for actual evidence.

Zenith bought a whole chronograph manufacture in 1960 to produce an automatic chronograph for their centennial. Movado had to ask Piguet to make their 90 and 95M and then did not innovate for 25 years. The two get together under the same holding company in 1969, and the automatic chronograph that appears in January of that year has Movado elements? OK, which ones? What did Movado bring to the table in the final month before launch that counts as a contribution?

vonOstehausen is a Movado fan-boy. Good for him, too. Much neglected brand IMO. But he makes as many errors as Roessler.

Edited Apr 9, 2016
  5. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Apr 9, 2016

I would have no way of knowing what Movado brought to the development of the EP. I didn't work for either company. :). If you read starting with the beginning bottom paragraph on the left, it states that there was a joint venture with the ambition of producing the first automatic chronograph. This was after 1966 and before 1969. This tells me that Movado had their hand in the development but to what extent I have no idea.

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 9, 2016

Nor does von O, I suspect.

The development of El Primero has been rather well and painstakingly documented with primary sources by Nicola at O&P.

7. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Apr 9, 2016

Please provide links. I'd really like to see this.

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 9, 2016

the Ur-thread: http://orologi.forumfree.it/?t=31321982
    there are others by the same author detailing various aspects - enjoy the feast

I'd be interested in Nicola's opinion about this specific issue - he swings by every now and again.

@nicola1960 , esiste alcun elemento per sostenere un ruolo per Movado nello sviluppo di El Primero?

jsaen likes this.
  9. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Apr 10, 2016

Well I'm a Movado fan boy too. I'm not as knowledgable as many on this forum about Zenith as you can probably tell by my avatar. I just like gold platinum and palladium watches especially those with complications. Also von Ostehausen claims that the 478 single button chronograph movement was developed by Movado. I wonder if FP helped (478 movement picture attached)...

image.jpg
  10. jsaen Apr 10, 2016

Wow, that is an Ur-thread. I wish I could just buy the book