Forums Latest Members
  1. JMLIII May 1, 2020

The first one was sold to me as the OG of seamasters. The one the 1948 had remade. Turns out the dial may be but the bumper cal does not match and may be a combination of two. Either way, It works well and I wear it often.

The second one I only bought because of how tiny it is. Crazy to have an automatic watch in such a tiny case.

The third one is a seamaster with a cal 501 that I bought with the balance shaft and who knows what removed. I thought maybe some day I would try to fit it. Probably wont though...

The fourth one, which will probably be my favorite, is a c case constellation I just bought on craigslist. The band is stretched ( I would like to fix of have fixed) and its dirty but seems to run well. I have not see the movement yet but it is push/pull to change the date.

I also have a 60s tudor big rose and a '53 rolex 6094 but I won't post those here ;)

IMG_20200430_185520_3[1].jpg 33.jpg 34.jpg 35.jpg IMG_20200430_185445_0[1].jpg s-l1600 (15).jpg s-l1600 (17).jpg IMG_20200430_185247_1[1].jpg IMG_20200409_181056_9[1].jpg IMG_20200409_181119_7[1].jpg IMG_20200429_182044_3[1].jpg
    Dan S, vandesteeg, ZIELSZIEK and 3 others like this.
  2. Canuck May 1, 2020

Your budding collection has potential. The first movement you showed, the Seamaster bumper automatic appears to have a severe case of “rotor rub”. Probably take a break from collecting for a while, until you have what you have collected thus far, put into condition.

Edited May 1, 2020
    JMLIII and ZIELSZIEK like this.
  3. ZIELSZIEK May 1, 2020

Judging by the position of the regulator on the first watch, that piece needs a service asap. I wouldn't wear it anymore until I got it sorted, If I were you, especially since you said you wear it a lot.

JMLIII likes this.
  4. JMLIII May 1, 2020

Yeah, I know this unfortunately... lol.. I purchased it from fullywound on ebay before I knew anything. Paid $800.00 and some change for it. haha. ugh. Id almost rather just wear it till it breaks unless I find someone who is affordable and trust worthy. The seller said it was freshly serviced!

apsm100 likes this.
  5. wilderbeast May 2, 2020

I hope you are joking about this! A service cost a fraction of what you paid for the watch and it is a necessary step if you want to wear your watches regularly. Unfortunately, claims of pieces being serviced have to be taken with a handful of salt. Unless you have proof of service and a guarantee, factor in the cost of a service into what you are prepared to pay. Might help regulate the amount you pay for a watch in future!

6. padders Oooo subtitles! May 2, 2020

I doubt he is joking. The seller he purchased it from is a trader who was banned from here basically for dishonestly and this watch is further evidence if that. The movement is from the mid 1940s, the dial from around 1950-53, it’s a mash up of at least 2 watches. It looks good all the same. The best candidate there is the Connie, that could turn out to be a nice straight piece.

KingCrouchy and wilderbeast like this.
  7. wilderbeast May 2, 2020

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. I meant I hoped he was joking about wearing it until it breaks. Of course there are varying levels of honesty from sellers!

I agree with you about the Connie, @padders - who doesn’t love a C-case?

padders likes this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 2, 2020

Sell the first 3 on eBay and put all the money to fix the 4th one :thumbsup:

9. cristos71 May 2, 2020

Some hard lessons learnt here, but don't worry most of us have been there in one way or another. I still have numerous bad, bad buys from the early days sitting around that I've been meaning to get fixed up and sold on....

Hmm, thinking about it, my first ever vintage Omega which I bought in about 2003 is in a box somewhere....it has a water damaged dial, the wrong crown ( which was also slipping whilst winding ) and hasn't run in more than a decade ( not that was ever running well mind due! )

Sometimes these things just need to be written down to be able to properly move on and I agree with the others that the C-shape is pretty nice although I'd ditch that bracelet and put it on a nice strap to really bring the best of it out.

10. JMLIII May 2, 2020

No I am not kidding. It's like do you put a $2500 transmission into your rusted $1000 car? The way I see it, any service would cost $400 plus anything they may come across. I tried to sell it locally for $800.00 for a long time. No bites. No offers. So put another 400+ plus into it to still not be able to sell it? Lol rather just keep wearing it as it works well as is.

Not interested in selling the tiny one. Even if it's worthless and a redial, it was cheap and the tiny movement is so cool.

The broken one I don't mind holding onto. Maybe I'll meet someone someday who wants to try to fix it. Or maybe I'll find a 501 movement to swap out. I over paid for that one too. $230

The constellation is my favorite. Overpaid for that too. I'm not a seller. I have a job. I buy them because they're awesome. I will have it on a strap after I get it cleaned up but I am considering sending the bracelet to Michael Young as his pricing seems pretty reasonable on that service.