Forums Latest Members
  1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Feb 8, 2018

This might not be the watch you would expect, but I always had a soft spot for the Omega Constellation. Not only for the famous pie-pan (and later 1960s) models, but also for the Constellation 'Manhattan' and Constellation'95 series. Actually, the Constellation'95 was my first 'serious' watch that I received as a graduation gift in 1998. It was really my choice, as I had been collecting brochures at the local authorized dealer since the mid-1990s. Whether it was/is bad taste or not, it wasn't influenced by anyone else or by on-line 'opinions' as there simply was none available. Some times I long for those days again, were you just bought what you liked without the 'social' pressure from other collectors (not that I care today, as this topic will show you).

So, having a Constellation'95 (quartz even, the ref.1212.10), I wore this watch every day for years. To university, bars, everywhere. Although at the time I was a bit thinner than today, it was already a small watch (but I can also remember people asking me what kind of wall-clock I was wearing when I bought my first 2531.80 Seamaster 300M in 2000, which is only 41mm in diameter). Today, it is in the safe deposit box and it never comes out. I just keep it. However, this doesn't mean I don't like it. How it looks and how it wears...it is still a watch that pleases me, but just a bit too small for me. It also needs a new battery and a service.

Anyway, since last year was the official 35th birthday of the Constellation Manhattan (I wrote a detailed background story on the Manhattan in this article on Fratello) and it did not get celebrated. At least not that I know of, and I think I get all their press releases (pretty certain about that). It does not necessarily makes me sad, as the current Constellation doesn't have my interest (too bold in design, too round as well), but I decided to have a serious look at the very first Constellation that was called the 'Manhattan'. It is small, admitted, but it is also more sharp and 'raw' looking than today's Constellations. The first models had this quartz caliber 1422 movement (chronometer certified, where chronometer for quartz uses different standards than the chronometer rating for mechanical watches) and came in this grey suede-looking box with the famous 'claws' on there. Since this is a 1982 watch, I decided to share my story in the Vintage Omega forum.

[​IMG]

On these first Constellation models, the Roman numerals are actually on the dial instead of on the bezel (somewhere in the 1980s Omega moved the Roman numerals from the dial to the bezel) and the bezel was just black. On top of the bezel, there was a sapphire crystal that was kept into place by these 4 claws. The model was available in steel, gold&steel and gold. While I wouldn't mind a full gold version, it is a) quite rare and b) expensive. Although I normally prefer my watches in stainless steel, I make an exception for some watches. Some watches belong in bi-color, like a Cartier Santos, Rolex Datejust, Ebel 1911, but also the Omega Constellation 'Manhattan' and Constellation'95 in my opinion.

[​IMG]

For almost a year I have been looking at these watches. I even bid on some of them via Chrono24 (seller did not reply, of course) and via Catawiki (the reserve was too high). No success. On top of that, the models I bid on so far, were also not really in mint or even 'good' condition. And without the specific box, let alone any paperwork.

But my recent search on eBay for a 'Constellation 1422' (reference 398.0866) showed me one for auction in Switzerland, with box and papers. And better yet, in super nice condition. I found out it was offered on a local Swiss auction site first (Ricardo), but didn't move. So I put the watch on my 'watchlist' and monitored the auction. I made a bid in the last minute of the auction and to my big surprise, I got it. This was all just yesterday evening, but I am super excited. I didn't have this feeling for a long time, this pure excitement instead of a 'rational' purchase for something to add to my collection.

[​IMG]

I am fairly sure the number of Constellation owners or enthusiasts is relatively low, and those who love the Manhattan are probably on one hand (if I am not the only one already), but I thought at least I should share my joy and perhaps another Constellation 'Manhattan' enthusiast will stand-up.

Sure, this won't be an everyday piece (I have a Constellation 'Globemaster' that I wear often though, which I also really like. I did a write-up on the watch here, even before I got one for myself. That said, it is one of my best articles I have to say).

I am afraid I will need the two extra links for the Constellation Manhattan, but I will surely give it some where. I am over the Moon with this one, even though it might be one of my cheapest Omegas (or watches in general) that I own.

Have a great day!

RJ

2. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Feb 8, 2018

There was a black dialed one for sale here on the forum a few weeks back. Even thought I generally don’t like the design that piece was pretty cool. Pure 80’s :thumbsup:

Tako Yaki and Robert-Jan like this.
  3. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Feb 8, 2018

That was already a later model I think, with the Roman numerals on the bezel. But certainly a nice piece.

Plees likes this.
  4. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Feb 8, 2018

Yup, the serial was 49 mill. so around 1986’ish.

5. sat968 Feb 8, 2018

A similar model was my first Omega watch back in the day. I still have it and break it out when I want a thin watch to wear.

Interesting antidote, I've been perusing some auction sites in Japan recently, and these models seem to be the majority of watches offered for sale. So we know where Omega sold most of these...

6. mr_yossarian Feb 8, 2018

Well..I very much associate Cindy Crawford with this watch, no idea why she comes to my mind first :)

7. Vitezi Feb 8, 2018

8. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Feb 8, 2018

I think most Constellations went to China, but Japan could be another popular location indeed.

9. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Feb 8, 2018

I don't feel that's a bad thing per definition. ;-) I don't know how big her role really was when the Constellation'95 was designed, but from that moment on she became more or less the face of the collection. I think the tennis-lady (Kournikova) was involved with the rectangular Constellation, but don't think that was a huge seller.

However, for these first Constellations. It was Robert Wagner who was an ambassador. Non-official ambassador was Mikhail Gorbachev wearing the 'Manhattan' in full gold.

10. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Feb 8, 2018

11. lillatroll Feb 8, 2018

Not my cup of tea, however this is a good example of why condition, condition, condition should be the mantra of every collector especially regarding dress watches. Even if it is not my cup of tea, if I had seen this then I might have been tempted just because it is such a fantastic example of this model.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  12. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Feb 9, 2018

Exactly. I see some more of these now, also on Chrono24 (apparently you need to include the caliber number to get some decent results) but even though one of them is a complete set, it is completely over-polished as well. There's little fun for me in that, as I am not planning to wear this on daily basis anyway, it better be in great condition when spending any money on these.

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 9, 2018

Congrats

Think most here that own several watches have that one piece that's the ugly duckling of our collections that we don't show much or talk about much on here or social media but enjoy ourselves . ;) :whistling:

The beauty of the not loved pieces is the price.:D

Tako Yaki likes this.
  14. outtatime Feb 9, 2018

15. vlaspri Nov 24, 2019

Nice watch, Robert-Jan! I want to assure you that you're not an only Manhattan's enthusiast! I have the 1987 one with cal.1111 inside and it is absolutely brilliant watch to me!

16. LMann Jun 6, 2021

Hi all,

I am a new member and, in fact, this is my first post on any sort of forum! I was inspired to write by Robert-Jan’s post. Thanks for sharing this beautiful example of a first generation Manhattan. It is a watch I really love. I have had one in the same first generation design and colour combination (but 1431) for years and wear it almost every day. I also think Gorbachev’s full gold version looks great but they rarely seem to come up for sale. Have you ever seen one advertised? Anyway, thanks again!!

Dedalus05 likes this.
  17. keepsonticking Jun 6, 2021

I applaud those who have commented for their restraint and diplomacy.

I'm a little embarrassed to say I was a fan of the Manhattans shown below in the summer of 1980, driving my blue Opel GT (in awful cond.) and wooing women, thinking I had it all figured out. (age 16) Take a relaxing trip down memory lane. Any other Opel GT owners, by chance? I see one about once per decade now.

Edited Jun 6, 2021
    kingsrider and padders like this.
  18. djofi Let it go! Jun 6, 2021

70B7E051-0482-4A85-9D88-450CAFC3B14E.jpeg 686B371C-682A-4D83-8138-CD00E009C764.jpeg 5877AD54-BD3B-44A3-AC7B-C9A198693F85.jpeg Here’s my black one. Congratulations!

Tako Yaki and LMann like this.
  19. keepsonticking Jun 6, 2021

Ok. I can't take it anymore. Rumor has it one of Liberace's "friends" gifted him with one of these watches some years before his death. His reaction: "Sorry, but it's just too ostentatious."

DaveK and Duracuir1 like this.
  20. LMann Jun 17, 2021