Forums Latest Members
  1. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Oct 22, 2020

my latest ebay purchase story.

i stumbled upon this girard perregaux with the non horsey, arabic dial.

the size was right, it had a substance to it and it had a timeless design. i characterize it as a pretty nice crossover watch encompassing many elements...you know. sport, dress, etc, etc..and being that it's a late 90's - y2k watch it's pretty modern. plus i didn't want to spend 16/2k for the longines sector or the latest heritage.

so after seeing the pics i bought it.

when this watch came out it was pretty expensive, and this model still holds it's price pretty well. you really do not see them that often

here were the pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oh..boy was i stoked...delivery day arrives.

this is what i get

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

all is not lost. i can discount the box, try and minimize and overlook the strap damage, and all the non disclosure..all i'm really interested in is the watch. you know. you still have excitement and want things to work out even though you're overlooking being taken advantage of some.

so i clean off all the plaster of paris degradation from the watch box/pillow which was in every nook and cranny of the watch and strap. set the time.......and watch the watch.

obv the sub second had problems. it would stop at certain intervals, and it was more than just a service thing.

so the watch needed to be looked at.

864O8Nz.gif

i was able to work something out with the seller without flipping out, but i should have been compensated more.

Edited Oct 22, 2020
  2. gbesq Oct 22, 2020

Sorry about the watch, but LOVE the cat video. Lol.

befobe, Scarecrow Boat and DaveK like this.
  3. JwRosenthal Oct 22, 2020

That sucks! I seriously think boxes from this period were made from recycled toilet paper. They are a total disaster.

Thrasher36, lindo and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  4. speedamatuer Oct 23, 2020

That is some of the worst selective photography I've ever seen. I've never seen this GP before, really like it.

5. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Oct 23, 2020

I guess the inside of the box got roughed up by the watch itself in transit? They become so fragile, seller should have used bubblewrap inside the box.

I have an early noughties Omega box(the old Red ones) where I only need look at the inside for it to flake into a million pieces.

Lovely watch at least.

6. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Oct 23, 2020

i wonder how long it took him to get the photos just right to cover up all the problems. i especially liked the blurred bigfoot one with the watch on the pillow in the box. which you can partially see the rough condition if you're looking for it. but you're not looking for that. he did a good job of the photos and not disclosing anything. that takes some skill.

i still don't know what the end goal was, as the buyer was going to see everything once they got it?

DaveK likes this.
  7. akshayluc420 Oct 23, 2020

Ouch! any lasting damage to the leather?

8. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Oct 23, 2020

that material was pretty difficult to remove on the watch. especially the strap. it literally was like paint/spackle. i was able to remove most of it with a swatch of a 100% cotton t shirt and dabs of water.

we all know straps do not have a infinite life, and the croc strap has seen it's better days. there are 2 rips in on the top half of the strap where the buckle was situated from long use. it hasn't gone completely though front/back yet, but that's it's only saving grace. only thing that can really save this while not worrying that much is leather tape to extend the life a little longer...maybe.....the rip you see in my pic is of the lesser..so the other tear is worse

..pretty sure this is $400/$500 strap if purchased new from GP

Edited Oct 23, 2020
  9. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Oct 23, 2020

The inside box definitely had damage prior to shipping but definitely not to the extent of what you received. If you look at this picture, you can see peripheral damage to the lining, but the branding is mostly intact.
    Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 2.03.28 PM.png
    Compared to your picture... That watch wasn't secure in the box and tumbled around during shipment. The branding is all torn up in your picture. I do think it was selective photography but also a lot of that was incurred during transit.
    Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 2.04.11 PM.png

10. akshayluc420 Oct 23, 2020

I think the seller should reimburse/replace the strap. Sorry to hear of all this crap.

It is a handsome piece, put it on a nice vintage strap and wear in good health! :)

11. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Oct 23, 2020

i should have asked for more when i talked to the seller about compensation. i didn't discuss the strap condition that much, and i should have. i had tunnel vision on the watch being it's a pretty rare model.

the watch is at my guy right now, an omega certified dude not named archer......lol

the amount to service it and/or replace one pinion wheel is about as much as i was compensated. which prolly is 1/3- half of GP had i sent it there. i'm just hoping i don't get a call saying it's more than he thought.

12. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Oct 24, 2020

can't wait to review this strap. didn't know what color to get for the watch. did not want brown. decided on grey with light grey stitching. almost went with beige stitch to mimic patina, but this watch has no patina aspects to it. but that color stitching brings out a blue color to the grey.

great price. if it's up to snuff i will buy others. the one stitch on the bottom portion looks a lil' short, but the strap will prolly need to be curved in the middle more even though it was still made curved. there's also the possibility of the pic being a optically off but much more even in person. this watch will not even take a straight spring bar.

this isn't a $200 cheergiant strap, but i'm hoping for quality nonetheless for $50. now i will wait close to 30 days . i did not want to pay $30/40 for fast shipping

greystrap.jpg

Edited Oct 24, 2020
    Spruce likes this.
  13. Kbjohn Oct 24, 2020

Looks like they used the same box supplier as Omega in the 90's!

Thrasher36 likes this.
  14. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Oct 24, 2020

i have to say, i have the itch to just dig the whole insides out, leaving me with a pretty nice metal box that needs new foam

15. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Nov 11, 2020

watch back from my guy....all fixed..strap arrived

i was going to do a review on the new croc strap that i bought. thing is, i'm not really qualified to review straps like this because i never really purchased one like this before.

here goes my review....it looks nice to me, and his price was around 1/3 of cheergiant.

strap arrived yesterday and it didn't take that long. bought oct 21..then it was made, and delivered to me nov 10 all the way from vietnam.

that's pretty quick,imo. for cheap standard shipping.

he uses many different materials for his straps, and is basically made to order

he's on the bay

https://www.ebay.com/sch/handmade.bestbuyvn/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100030861034806

gp_new.jpg

gp_new1.jpg

Edited Nov 11, 2020
    inchpincher, kev1976t, Sam11 and 2 others like this.