Forums Latest Members
  1. hunterw718 Jun 4, 2017

IMG_6366.JPG IMG_6368.JPG IMG_6369.JPG IMG_6370.JPG Hey folks. First time poster so I hope I'm doing this right.

My mother just gave me my grandfather's watch. He was a bit of a character and we think there's more than a small chance this watch is fake. Either way, it was his watch and it looks pretty nice to me so I am obviously going to keep it.

Still, would love all of your expertise to know what I've got and understand if he left me a bit of a last joke. I'm assuming the "SUISS" on the back is a bad sign.

I hope these pictures are good enough. I do not know how to open the case back and also don't want to mess with it too much since it's old. Assuming you'll be able just to tell by the front, but if it's inconclusive I will get a shot of the movement.

This watch is at least fifty years old. It is manual winding. It has a replacement band. I also have been told the glass was replaced and there may have been some work on the second hand. It is working, which I am pretty surprised by.

Thanks in advance and sorry if I messed up this post somehow.

2. No Mercy Jun 4, 2017

Definitely a fake Omega.

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 4, 2017

Well known fake from about 1950s/1960s.

Yours has wrong size second/minute and hour hands for that dial, not that it's a big deal.

The thing is, these watches usually had a decent Swiss movement like an AS1130 or similar so they were a reasonable watch to begin with, but unscrupulous people realised it had more value with "Omega" on the dial rather than "Acme" or "Timex".

As a fake it's hardly worth getting serviced/repaired but it's a nice memento of your grandfather who probably had a bit of a chuckle every time he looked at it.

4. hunterw718 Jun 4, 2017

Thanks! That's exactly what I thought. A Swiss movement would explain why it's still working. Figured it at least had to be a little decent if it's still running after all this time.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 4, 2017

The big key is the 18kt gold hallmark on a watch clearly gold plated.

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 4, 2017

Kudos for self-awareness/self-knowledge

Nathan1967 and hunterw718 like this.
  7. hunterw718 Jun 4, 2017

I figured that might be describing the plating. I'm happy if there's any gold on it. A 50 year old dress watch with a decent movement and a funny story is one I'm happy to have in my collection.

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 4, 2017

Gold plate/ filled will not carry a hallmark.

Movement shot?

9. j.allen Jun 5, 2017

Those AS1130's are great. I have a few wartime watches with these and they run better than some watches 50 years newer.

10. Gstp Jun 5, 2017

Costa del Sol Omega