Forums Latest Members

My Friend's Dad's Old Watch - You see where this is going..

1. redpcar Apr 9, 2018

So I have a friend who's father has an old watch. I've been hearing about this for some time. Finally got a pic (fully expecting a Seiko). Then POW! Totally wasn't expecting this. Told him not to sell and keep in the family, but if they were to sell, I would pay a fair market price. I gave him all the information about the watch. Looks all original. Elgin Canteen BUSHIPS. If anyone can offer any additional information, it would be greatly appreciated. I know there are plenty of fakes out there.
    Elgin Canteen.jpg Elgin Canteen back.jpg

2. Starman71 Apr 9, 2018

What year do you think it’s from?

3. redpcar Apr 9, 2018

Guessing late '40s to mid '50s :unsure:

4. thatonewatchdude Apr 9, 2018

hey buddy I actually have a book at home on elgin watches and movements. I will go through it tonight.

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 10, 2018

Edited Apr 10, 2018
  6. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 10, 2018

should have a caliber 539 in it. I've never seen a canteen with a number that high on the case though... never higher than about 2300, and the machining looks a bit uneven. But you never know with the military, funny things happen when they need something.

It does look well worn though... I'd love to see inside!

7. river rat Apr 10, 2018

Cool watch and authentic still looks like the lead seal around the crystal still there and by the 7 that two tone strip a moisture strip if the color changes it show a possible leak not good for a dive watch. Passed on one at a NAWCC show for 1000 buck some years ago they sell for 1500-2500 these days depending on condition they were issues to US Navy UDT divers before the Seals were created. looks in great shape to me. There is a special case wench for taking the case cover off to get to the movement I found one at a NAWCC mart once still got a few issued watches it works on. But if you can get the movement serial number this site will tell you the year it was made.
    http://elginwatches.org/databases/elgin_sn_intro.html

Edited Apr 10, 2018