Forums Latest Members

My First Vintage And New (to Me) 1968 Speedmaster....

1. TLIGuy Mar 1, 2013

The long wait is over. 4 weeks of wondering what the watch woud look like when it retuned and now I know..just stunning IMHO.

This is my first vintage Speedmaster and I'm glad I took the plunge. After a few weeks of research I knew I wanted a 1968 (birth year as well) Transitional piece. I wanted a Speedmaster that had the beautiful 321 dial with the heart of the 861 beating inside it. I love the history of the 321 but this is going to be my new daily wear watch and wanted something I didn't have to worry about (in the back of my mind) if I needed to have it serviced. After a few WTB posts a seller came through with a nice piece needing a little TLC.

It was in my hands no longer than 24 hours and it was back out the door to Nesbit's for a complete overhaul and some cosmetic work. Today it arrived back where I mated it with the 1450 bracelet that I found in the UK.

I know some purist will scoff at the notion of repalcing the hands, but now looking at it, the patina of the markers was not so dark that the new hands seem too out of place. Also repalced were the crown, pushers, crystal, mainspring, and a few other worn parts in the movement. The original hands (in good shape) are safely packed away if I ever get the itch to change them out.

Also, thanks for all the advice I received during my research posts and to those that took the time to respond to my PM inquries regarding a few watches I was looking at.

Anyway, here is my 1968 Speedmaster with 861 movement #(26555XXX)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 1, 2013

Very nice! :thumbsup:

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 1, 2013

Nice one, A good combo with true Speedy spirit.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 1, 2013

If you ever run across and more USN X-33s let me know. My Father-in Law was a Master Chief in charge of aircraft maintenance on board carriers for over twenty years, would love to get him one.:thumbsup: