My first Speedmaster Professional: Hesalite for Sapphire Crystal?

As forum member 4011021 previously stated the following:

......."However, to have a strong, bright and clear piece of glass instead of plastic in your watch does make it look and feel more premium. The Speedmaster is not a cheap watch and is more expensive now than it was just a few years ago. It's not by chance that every special edition of the Speedmaster comes with sapphire."

I could not agree more with that statement!

I've seen both in person and the choice I went with was with the "Sapphire Sandwich" with it's case back movement display....hands down.

As for others indicating that it really is not important for them to be able to see the movement, etc. well to each their own because I can understand that.....though for me it is (as I have other timepieces with see case back movements).....and as others who have inquired about my watch, when wearing it and some get really stunned (to say the least) when they can see the actual movement can be seen, etc. Though again to each their own.

Go with what "you want", either way, whatever choice you decide to go with you won't go wrong.

Edited:

Another vote for Hesalite. I find it has less glare, and the molded Omega symbol in the crystal is nice.

I also wanted a display caseback so opted for an older Hesalite sandwich -- love it.

And yes, Polywatch works surprisingly well!

I love the applied logo, but on a speedmaster the Chronograph hand is sitting atop the applied logo a large portion of the time so you really dont see it like you would on something like a Seamaster.

Many people like the idea of looking at the movement, but this novelty wears off pretty quickly, you'll hardly notice it after a short while. Since the movements in the two versions are now finished the same instead of the upgraded finishing on the previous 1863 version you are paying quite a premium for the sapphire back and crystal, applied logo and slightly flashier bracelet. The hesalite in normal use is of no concern as far as scratches are concerned unless you are wearing the watch to lay bricks, dig trenches or do auto repair. I'd prefer to save the money and put it towards a custom strap or two. But everyone's desires are different, do whatever you think will make you happy.

When I was looking between the two 3861s, I felt that although the hesalite might be 'truer' to the originals, the reason why I was getting a 3861 was to see what kind of punch Omega's modern line could pack. If you're concerned about being true to the original, you may end up be better off getting an older Speedmaster. After all, why stop at a hesalite glass? For less money than a new 3861, you could get a 145.022 with pink 861, and probably have it serviced too.

I personally prefer hesalite.
That being said, sapphire
If you want to go the traditional route, get hesalite. Contrary to popular belief, sapphire is not bulletproof. It can be scratched (although it is certainly much more scratch resistant than hesalite) or if the watch is dropped onto a hard service or suffers a hard hit - say on a doorframe - at the right angle, sapphire can shatter. That can result in damage to the dial. Even if there is no dial damage, there is no fix for a badly scratched or shattered sapphire crystal other than replacement and that can be expensive. Hesalite, on the other hand, can easily be polished back to its original appearance with a little PolyWatch and a soft cloth. Hesalite can crack if it suffers a hard hit, but it won’t shatter and replacement is much less expensive than sapphire.
When provided by reputable companies, I consider sapphire to basically be scratch proof. There’s always a slim possibility, but most people encounter few things in their lives that will scratch a good sapphire crystal

I personally prefer hesalite.
That being said, sapphire

When provided by reputable companies, I consider sapphire to basically be scratch proof. There’s always a slim possibility, but most people encounter few things in their lives that will scratch a good sapphire crystal
One of my tissot sapphire watches is worn while wrenching regularly. Metal shows plenty of signs of this. The crystal is perfect

I own hesalite therefore I'm going to recommend hesalite.

Hesalite is for men, real men, a man's man, a man that doesn't ask for but yet commands the respect of legions of men... don't even get me started about females and hesalite vs sapphire.
Yeah?
Okay then.
I once borrowed a friend's Speedmaster Professional, sapphire version, and went to a Prostitute's Convention (in Vegas, go figure), and even though I had around two hundred thousand dollars on my person, in cash, I could not find a single gal interested in me.
I went back up to my luxury suite empty handed but then started thinking about things, and it then dawned on me. Swapped back to my Professional hesalite and went back down to the convention floor.
Suffice it to say... the following day, en route to the Free Clinic, yes physically uncomfortable but with a smile on my face and my trusted Professional hesalite on my wrist, I had also commanded the respect of legions of women.

And yes friend, I knew you were going to ask, I had exactly two hundred thousand dollars still on my person. So no, not a single gal would take payment... perhaps they didn't want me but they definitely wanted me with my Professional hesalite.

Go Hesalite or go home ~ empty handed.

I struggled with this. The delta in price of ~$1k is not small, so that weighed in on my choice to go Hesalite. I actually wanted the case back with the seahorse and the homage to NASA…but I would prefer a sapphire for the scratch resistance and that raised Omega logo looked better than the printed logo also. Reading and watching videos on how Polywatch works put me at ease. I suppose the Hesalite version is also closer to the “real thing” if there really was such a thing. I love wearing it but still wonder if I made the right choice. I can’t say I have no regrets in my choice. If it was the same price, I probably would have bought the sapphire version.